TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well over the weekend, I took my first camping trip on the tdub and overall had a blast. Wasnt a long or far ride, at only 35 miles but it was a stepping stone for motocamping for me. On the way, I ended up hitting a bird and melting a chunk of my rear plastics since my saddle bags pressed it down on the exhaust half way to my destination. The biggest takeaway I took was that I over and under packed at the same time. I over packed on food and camping knick knacks, and didnt bring a proper sleeping bag for the conditions. I used a hammock with a fall liner and a blanket with a rain fly. I need a better cold weather sleeping bag since it got down to 36 degrees and need to be better at logistically packing since I loaded down the bike and most didnt even leave the bike. All in all I happy I went and I'm planning to go back out again now that i'm learning from my first trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Cool pics, but the melted plastics kinda hugs a nut. Still, its always a win if you get to ride and camp! I’d rather strugglebus a little outdoors than be held captive indoors. Keep at it, Yama, and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nice! How much weight would you say was on it alltogether?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool pics, but the melted plastics kinda hugs a nut. Still, its always a win if you get to ride and camp! I’d rather strugglebus a little outdoors than be held captive indoors. Keep at it, Yama, and thanks for sharing.
Im going to think of it as my first battle scar lol, I plan on trimming and sanding it so it looks nicer. Just bought a heat shield for the exhaust in preparation for the next trip.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice! How much weight would you say was on it alltogether?
Probably 35 lbs with 2 gallons of water, 2.5 gallons of gas, food, clothes, blankets, bags, saw and trowel and some wood.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just landed a DRYSpec heat shield on eBay for $25. We’ll see how I like it.

Reactions: Yama96

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well over the weekend, I took my first camping trip on the tdub and overall had a blast. Wasnt a long or far ride, at only 35 miles but it was a stepping stone for motocamping for me. On the way, I ended up hitting a bird and melting a chunk of my rear plastics since my saddle bags pressed it down on the exhaust half way to my destination. The biggest takeaway I took was that I over and under packed at the same time. I over packed on food and camping knick knacks, and didnt bring a proper sleeping bag for the conditions. I used a hammock with a fall liner and a blanket with a rain fly. I need a better cold weather sleeping bag since it got down to 36 degrees and need to be better at logistically packing since I loaded down the bike and most didnt even leave the bike. All in all I happy I went and I'm planning to go back out again now that i'm learning from my first trip.
Looks like you have alot of Nice Gear!!!!! Good for you. I need to try that. Love the Suspended Hammock.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yama,
Question for ya. I notice you have some form of off-road stickers on your bike, looks also like maybe you're from MI some place. May I ask your registration process? I mean, we in AZ, have a basic two-fold type of registration for motorcycles like the TW. First, you have a regular license plate for street use. Then, if you're planning on running around off road, then you also get an OHV sticker so that, if you're out cruising the outback, and a Ranger happens upon you, you are legal to run around in BLM land or state park areas etc. Is this similar to your process?
Scott

Reactions: buellzebub

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yama,
Question for ya. I notice you have some form of off-road stickers on your bike, looks also like maybe you're from MI some place. May I ask your registration process? I mean, we in AZ, have a basic two-fold type of registration for motorcycles like the TW. First, you have a regular license plate for street use. Then, if you're planning on running around off road, then you also get an OHV sticker so that, if you're out cruising the outback, and a Ranger happens upon you, you are legal to run around in BLM land or state park areas etc. Is this similar to your process?
Scott
Almost exactly the same, I have my bike road licensed and plated and the ORV passes. We just have the ORV sticker to register the bike for offroad and the ORV TRAIL allows us to use the state groomed trails. For both tags it was only $35

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have done some moto-camping on the TW too. The bike can get crowded, especially in mid-winter camps, but it works. Having a larger capacity fuel tank would help so as not to have to bring extra gas. I am using the same Stansport saddle bags, so far no plastic melt!
ED48F0E6-C03F-400C-892E-2299E0DFDB4E.jpeg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts