TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I spent the weekend taking the safety/riders here in wa. Had fun doing it and very informative. The other good thing about the course was that used TW200 for the road course. So that helps cause I am a newby to them. At the end of the course the instructor wanted to talk to me. He asked me what type of bike I had. I said a Tdub. He asked how old it was. 2013, I said, I just bought it at Christmas. He looks me in the eye and says, " you are gona need a bigger bike" you look like a circus bear. I don't think that I am that big. 5' 11" 260. (yes I am in denile ) I just laughed and agreed. And at some point I will but right know this is what I can afford. Any way, all is good, he was a great instructor and I would recommend the course to any one that wants to get better at riding. OK have a great day folks.

·
Registered
445 Posts
You will be fine on the TW and you have made two very smart moves so far, 1) taking the course to learn and gain confidence and 2) not buying a 1000cc maintenance heavy rocket for your first bike. Down the road you will probably want to add another bike, but you will likely want to keep the TDub. :) It really can handle any riding level and it will always keep you smiling.

Welcome to the family and we are always here for the questions you'll run into.

Reactions: MTLHead and frog13

·
Registered
206 Posts
Lol circus bear. That is pretty funny. Im 6'1 240 and I feel fine. I must look the same. Good for you taking the course. I never did buta friend did and he was riding a 1500 Vulcan like a pro a week later

·
Registered
10 Posts
As a 5'14" riding instructor up here in the great white north of Canada, I don't give two flaming farts if I look like a polar bear on wheels. I emphasize to my students that size doesn't matter as long as we have an engine hung between two rubber donuts. My 2011 Road King gets less miles cause my 2010 TW gives me more smiles. I've ridden for 33 years everything from UJM (4 cylinder Suzukis and Hondas), Sportster, Kawi W650, DR650, BMW K1100RS, Honda Varadero 1000 Vtwin, Puegeot 50cc. I just ordered a set of Happy Trail Imnaha aluminum panniers from Idaho and can't wait for the warmer weather to get them mounted and share some pics. I hope that if I can share my TW excitement with my students they won't feel this crazy need to buy a bigger bike with all of the associated extra costs.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
So I spent the weekend taking the safety/riders here in wa. Had fun doing it and very informative. The other good thing about the course was that used TW200 for the road course. So that helps cause I am a newby to them. At the end of the course the instructor wanted to talk to me. He asked me what type of bike I had. I said a Tdub. He asked how old it was. 2013, I said, I just bought it at Christmas. He looks me in the eye and says, " you are gona need a bigger bike" you look like a circus bear. I don't think that I am that big. 5' 11" 260. (yes I am in denile ) I just laughed and agreed. And at some point I will but right know this is what I can afford. Any way, all is good, he was a great instructor and I would recommend the course to any one that wants to get better at riding. OK have a great day folks.
May have been a great instructor,but, that was thrown out the window with such a comment. The comment was a "cosmetic"one,not even functional in nature.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I first became enamored with a T-Dub in 2000. Took the MSF course in 2011 and rode the T-Dub. I loved it. I did get sidetracked with a Vtwin cruiser [my first bike], but just over a year later I bought a brand new T-Dub. I have to say my Cruiser is used when I really need to take the freeway in the interest of saving time. But my go-to bike is always the T-Dub. I'll stll put miles on the cruiser, but the T-Dub will be the last bike I sell.

You may want to buy a bigger bike, but you don't have to.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
Glad you took, and got some good out of the course.

Do these pants err I mean TW make my butt look big? I'm with Frog as far as the instructor goes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh I took every thing he said with a smile. He said he just thought that I looked uncomfortable. which I think may have been caused more from being a newbie than anything else. He was just trying to helpful and said as long as I am happy with what I got. circus bear...that is so funny though!

·
Registered
385 Posts
I was at the Minneapolis Motorcycle show recently. One of the vendors builds dynamic outriggers for small dirt bikes [50cc] so kids can learn to lean, ride, and not fall. I told my friend, That's what I would need before getting on an MX course. He replied, "yeah, a bike that fits your inseam!"

I don't concern myself with how I look, only the smile on my face counts.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Took my states Mptorcycle riders course.

Congrats on taking the class! You'll soon find that some people are hung up on engine size and/or HP numbers. If not already. It can get tiresome and annoying. We all hear it at some point, especially owning a TW. Some folks just don't 'get it'.
As for the TW, in terms of her dimensions, it isn't that small at all . Its wheelbase is decent and its seat height is within reasonable range. I just added risers for the bars to make it feel better while standing on the pegs.

Side note- I like this forum because it's mostly made up of motorcyclists who aren't afraid to say 'I bought a TW for myself- to make ME happy.'

·
Registered
385 Posts
+1 On the Happy!

Reactions: billmags

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Circus Bear lmao! Guess that makes me a Circus Elephant :)

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
my TW is the one bike i will never sell unless i have another one lined up to buy right away...too much fun...i started on sportbikes and saw a TW and i had to have one...after i bought a used one i liked it so much that i sold my sportbike to get a supermoto cause it would be lighter, more comfortable and more fun like my TW...after having that for a couple seasons i ended up selling it cause it wasn't good for highway miles and it required a little more time and mainenance than i wanted to deal with so i bought my bonneville to handle any highway rides or 2up rides...but the one thing that remained constant through this time (since i bought it) is me spending more time and money modifying my TW...love this bike...it's great for everything aside from highway or 2up riding...no matter who you are, if you ride one and it doesn't put a smile on your face then there is probably something wrong with you or your face

·
Registered
184 Posts
i'm 5ft 7in 250 lb.with 28 in. legs some say i look like a shriner on a minibike. my tw is more comfortable than the old 360 honda or900 kz i used to ride.so have funwith your bike.

·
Registered
814 Posts
No need to lie. A fat hiney is a fat hiney. It is what it is. If you pass gas and haven't been eating flowers, there is no way it will smell like a rose.

Not name calling here. I'm not small. My wife is the only one I won't give a straight answer to.

Everyone looks better when they smile.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts