TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Tw came without a tool kit. Could some one post a picture of the OEM tools in their kit? I would like to put together a kit for mine.

Thanks, R.D. justride.gif

·
Registered
20,494 Posts
I think I saw tool kit for sale $25 on this forums classified or on adv site's yesterday.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Talk about pure, unadulterated JUNK. I could pull a better kit out of my seconds tool box. Just my opinion but I would not pay a dime for this OEM kit. My bike didn't come with one either and I never missed any of it.

GaryL

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Admiral. I'd think about shelling out 5 or 10 dollars for a kit. But, I doubt anyone would part with it for that. So, the pic gives me an idea what the mother-ship deemed important enough to include. I can start from the pic. and add a plug and master link to the bag. I may start looking for tools at the flee market in the morning. That is how I built the last tool kit. Problem is I always sell the kit with the bike. Always leave the spare and jack in cars I sell too. Just me?

·
Registered
976 Posts
I never thought much of factory tool kits either, until I had occasion to have to pull the back wheel off of my KLR on the side of a desert highway. I hadn't planned on going far, I just wound up way out without my full kit.

Turns out the milk crate full of tools my rescue vehicle brought along didn't have the right wrenches for the axle, but the junky punched steel wrench in the on-board tools handled the job fine!

Don't get me wrong, I like to pack along a pretty bulky tool roll when I head out to the backcountry, but there's nothing wrong with having a safely tucked away on-board stash of tools that fit.

Reactions: r80rt

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
It's not completely junk, that flat stamped out dog bone wrench fits the oil plug perfectly, it won't round off the corners and chew up the plug.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
It's not completely junk, that flat stamped out dog bone wrench fits the oil plug perfectly, it won't round off the corners and chew up the plug.
The dog bone wrench and the JAS screw driver tip is the only tools worth keeping. If I had an original kit I would certainly have it tucked in to the tiny place where it should be. No other kit will fit that I have found. My point goes more to the outrageous prices I see both from the dealers and sellers at the auction sites. These are extremely low end cheap tools but they do fit in the pouch and tuck away.

GaryL

·
Registered
13,803 Posts
In my TW's lifetime, I've had two occasions I used the OEM Toolkit, both for the axle. Adjusted a loose chain on the trail once and the second time when I changed my chain to the other sprocket on my dual sprocket setup down at Crutcher's Crossing. With the possible (more than likely one day) addition of tire tools, I've not needed anything more. I did borrow a rock as a hammer both times to help loosen the axle nut by tapping the axle wrench. You know how I like my hammer's.:D

Reactions: Dubzha and r80rt

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
These OEM tools that are on board will suffice for the emergency that may occur on the road. But if you think 25 bucks is too much to pay for "junk tools" try building it out of Snap-On tools.
Point made.
Mel

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
You are right Mel. Those of us who do most of our own wrenching have all sorts of wrenches and tools left over from when we bought new and better sets. Like most, I have a box full of old tools in just about every size and shape from when Snap On and Mac tools took over the spot in my tool drawer cabinet. Even a cheap set of metric wrenches from Harbor Freight are as good or better than what comes in our TW tool kits. If you got the kit than leave it where it belongs for emergency repairs. When I am home I sure don't need any of them and if I go on an adventure I always pack a good kit with the tools I need any way.

GaryL

Reactions: mmmsssggg21

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do like Snap-On tools. So, did the thieves that have collected most of the ones I've bought. Some of the best tools are the ones we weld up and grind on our selves. It is funny that they don't get stolen.

Reactions: r80rt

·
Registered
63 Posts
ALWAYS Build yourself a set of GOOD tools that stay with the bike.....you will be glad you did if you need them in the middle of nowhere......extra master-links...stainless tie-wire...plastic tie-wraps....sharp knife....spark plugs.....ect.......and most importantly, do all of your work at home in the garage and you might not need em.........

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I saw tool kit for sale $25 on this forums classified or on adv site's yesterday.Fred, I saw one on ADV for 25. It was missing the screw driver and plug socket. They were asking $25 + shipping for it. You can look on flee-bay. Some of the old Honda kits are the same or they are miss labeled. I went to the flee market yesterday to find it has closed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts