TW200 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cruising a semi-smooth 55 mph(14/44) yesterday, and the bike started losing power. It would loose power, and then kick in again with some power briefly and go back and forth every second which made maintaining 55 mph very difficult. I was worried cause I thought the engine was starting to go which would really suck(especially at only 4850 Mi.) so I pulled over and everything seemed fine....it idled perfectly and ran fine in first/second in the grass on the side of the road.

So I tried to get back on the road and it started doing the same thing once I hit about 30-35 in 3rd, it climbed to 55 eventually but it kept pulling and stopping repeatedly making completely inconsistent unreliable power. I just wanted to get home so I kept going, it was awkward but it would still maintain at least 45 mph and I got home in 10 minutes.

when I got home I inspected to see if I could find the problem myself (I doubted I would) but sure enough I did: the top cover on the TK carb, was almost completely unscrewed and there was probably half an inch of gap between the cover and the inside of the carb - you could see the spring inside. I was lucky the whole thing didn't come apart and fly out but the screws were holding it on, just barely. I screwed it in by hand the best I could and put the bike away. Today I pulled the seat and tank off and screwed the cover on tight and went for a test ride - rides just fine again.

So I was just wondering..is it a common problem that the screws on the carb cover vibrate themselves loose? Or did I just have some really bad luck, or maybe the screws and/or screw threads are screwed up? What exactly does the upper chamber of the carb (the part with the big spring) do? I assume it has something to do either with air mixture or compression..cause with there being a big half inch gap it couldn't make enough power to turn the top 3 gears properly, but still made enough power to idle up to 8-9k just fine as well as turn first and second normally.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
I never heard of anyone else with such a problem.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I was cruising a semi-smooth 55 mph(14/44) yesterday, and the bike started losing power. It would loose power, and then kick in again with some power briefly and go back and forth every second which made maintaining 55 mph very difficult. I was worried cause I thought the engine was starting to go which would really suck(especially at only 4850 Mi.) so I pulled over and everything seemed fine....it idled perfectly and ran fine in first/second in the grass on the side of the road.

So I tried to get back on the road and it started doing the same thing once I hit about 30-35 in 3rd, it climbed to 55 eventually but it kept pulling and stopping repeatedly making completely inconsistent unreliable power. I just wanted to get home so I kept going, it was awkward but it would still maintain at least 45 mph and I got home in 10 minutes.

when I got home I inspected to see if I could find the problem myself (I doubted I would) but sure enough I did: the top cover on the TK carb, was almost completely unscrewed and there was probably half an inch of gap between the cover and the inside of the carb - you could see the spring inside. I was lucky the whole thing didn't come apart and fly out but the screws were holding it on, just barely. I screwed it in by hand the best I could and put the bike away. Today I pulled the seat and tank off and screwed the cover on tight and went for a test ride - rides just fine again.

So I was just wondering..is it a common problem that the screws on the carb cover vibrate themselves loose? Or did I just have some really bad luck, or maybe the screws and/or screw threads are screwed up? What exactly does the upper chamber of the carb (the part with the big spring) do? I assume it has something to do either with air mixture or compression..cause with there being a big half inch gap it couldn't make enough power to turn the top 3 gears properly, but still made enough power to idle up to 8-9k just fine as well as turn first and second normally.

I hope you put it back on with stainless allens.

Phelonius

1 - 3 of 3 Posts