TW200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all this late evening. My TW has developed an oil leak at the base of the top end. I have searched hi and low on line for a complete top end rebuild kit (gaskets, rings,...etc.) for the T-dub but no luck. I can find them for the XT and other Yamaha models but not the TW. Many of the on line shops have all the parts individually but no kits. Are there any kits that are interchangeable with the TW? If anyone could point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Sounds like you have got the famous base gasket leak. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. OK. You "MUST" make sure you get the 2010 or newer base gasket.... If you go in and order one for your year they may try and sell you one that's out of date and it WILL leak again if installed....... Do some research and you can read all our stories about "THE LEAK" Good luck. Others will chime in and can even give you the part#.. P.S. Welcome. OMM.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Piston rings will need to be ordered seperately as there are a few different sizes. I'm told there is a measuring process outlined in the TW manual to determine what size rings to order. Essentially, with wear and tear on the piston & cylinder, you may require a different size set of rings.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a ton guys. Procycle.us has the complete top end kit that I'm looking for and they appear to be the "correct" set. Hopefully this time I won't have to go back and do it again.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but I emailed them and they said it is an aftermarket gasket but have had no complaints of it failing. What do you guys think about it? I was going to order the kit as well, but now I am not sure.

·
Registered
8,358 Posts
I checked the ProCycle link and can see a top end gasket kit but not a complete top end rebuild kit. Am I missing that kit?

Maybe I am wrong here but I think if I was tearing the top down to replace the base gasket on a high mile engine, would it not be smart to replace valves, guides and cam bearings while there?

GaryL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts