TW200 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking over my new to me Tdub and I noticed what looked like a missing bolt in the engine mount upper right bolt hole. I think it needs a bolt but looking over the parts fiche, I'm not so sure.

upper engine mount.JPG

Bolt #10 goes through engine stay #6 then through the frame and has a washer #9 and nut #8 on the other side. You also see bolt #7 also goes through engine stay #6 and the flange on the top of the engine. It seems like the washer and nut actually might go with #7 as it would make more sense.

Does it get a bolt above #7 where there is a hole in the engine stay as well as a hole in the frame? Mine doesn't have a bolt there. I would "assume" it would get another part 8, 9, and 10, just like the one to it's lower left. On Rocky Mountain ATV's OEM parts ordering it defaults to needing 2 of #10 but not on #8 & 9 nut and washer which brings me more confusion.

It's been a couple of days since I had the tank off and noticed it but IIRC the hole in the frame had threads in it but they had silver paint in it like it's never been used, but I may not have seen it correctly. If it does, then I need to just order a #10 as that would bolt into the threads in the frame if #7 goes with 8&9. That would also account for why #10 has qty defaulted to 2 on that OEM parts page.

Can any of you take a peek under your gas tank to see if it has the uppermost right bolt on that engine stay? I'm going to be ordering some OEM parts that I need and if I need to I'll try to figure out what bolt/nuts are needed. I'll try to take a peek at mine to see if #7, 8 & 9 go together.

Thanks,
JayDub

Attachments

·
Registered
20,211 Posts
Withiut checking my memory tells me the third nut and bolt are required. Otherwise stay could rotate negating benefit of stay and acting more like a bar linkage. Without the stay bolted rigidly the engine weights bouncing around can result in a broken frame like Mrs.RhodeTrips bike suffered in Titus Canyon, Death Valley.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I too thought without the bolt it can just pivot which wouldn't be helpful and that's why I brought up the question and looked over the parts fiche. I'm going to guess I need part #10 since the nut is built into the piece on the frame.

I'm not sure that the bolt was ever there because the threads have paint in them and this bike has never been restored. I have seen stranger things happen like a John Deere 4240 tractor that threw a connecting rod after 8,000 hours because it only had one nut on the bearing cap from the factory. It was obvious as all the connecting rods had marks where the nuts scored them but the rod that was thrown only had marks where the one nut was. The other half was clean as new and no marks.

·
Registered
13,657 Posts
Agree with 3 above. I've had one vibrate loose/off/missing. Then I had 2 until I noticed it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Take the other bolt out and go to the hardware store and match it up to one they have and buy it. It will be cheaper and faster than ordering one online.
I agree it would be faster but certainly not cheaper. I live over 45 minutes away from the nearest hardware store haha. I'm already ordering new tires, plenty of OEM parts already so I'll just add it to the order. I have a cart full at Rocky Mountain ATV hoping they'll have something special for cyber Monday like 10% off your entire order (it's always nice to dream):rolleyes:. If not I'll just place the order Monday and be done.

JayDub

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Take one of the other bolts that are the exact same and give me measurements of length and the thread size. I have an entire box filled with nuts and bolts from TWs and other Yamaha's and probably have what you need.

GaryL

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Gary,
I appreciate the offer. I'm already buying a bunch of OEM parts for the old girl so a $2 bolt isn't going to break the bank. I can be cheap but I'm already buying a bunch of stuff that is needed to get the bike back in tip top shape. Shipping would be about what the bolt costs and I have enough in my order to get free shipping anyhow.

JayDub

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Hi Gary,
I appreciate the offer. I'm already buying a bunch of OEM parts for the old girl so a $2 bolt isn't going to break the bank. I can be cheap but I'm already buying a bunch of stuff that is needed to get the bike back in tip top shape. Shipping would be about what the bolt costs and I have enough in my order to get free shipping anyhow.

JayDub
Truer words have yet to be spoken! Every so often I see an Ebay add for all the nuts and bolts from various Yamaha MCs. If the price is good I usually buy them just to have in a box for when ever I need one. Invaluable assets to be honest and I have picked through this treasure trove more times than I care to mention seeking and finding just the right bolt.

GaryL

·
Registered
810 Posts
Ack! Boxes of Hardware! So totally handy to have and so utterly difficult to shed when the time comes. When I stopped working I had like a ton of different fasteners from assorted tractors, ATVs etc plus the 30 year collection of my Mentor. I have yet to figure out what to do with them. Only the "right" person would want them and those folks already have theys own Stash!
What to do? Hateful dilemma.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Ack! Boxes of Hardware! So totally handy to have and so utterly difficult to shed when the time comes. When I stopped working I had like a ton of different fasteners from assorted tractors, ATVs etc plus the 30 year collection of my Mentor. I have yet to figure out what to do with them. Only the "right" person would want them and those folks already have theys own Stash!
What to do? Hateful dilemma.
You have a lot of company with this dilemma! Some years back many of us forum old timers got a wake up call when one of our beloved member passed away very unexpectedly. Lizrdbreth - Russ left his wife Gina Marie also a loved member with a stable filled with TW motorcycles and tons of parts and pieces enough to fill a couple 18 wheelers. Other members local to Purple People Eater held a big yard sale auction in an effort to help her shed some of the stuff. It was a bit of a wake up call to many of us and I did attempt to move a bunch of my own stuff holding yard sales and becoming pretty proficient posting things for sale on the local CL. Member Mel has also made some major life changes after he did one of those Quasi retirements from his own business. It is one of the toughest things I think any man or woman can try to do. With us guys I always find as soon as I let something go it isn't but a week or two when I find a need for it after storing it for 30 years. As I type I am taking a break from my wife who is cracking the whip and we have the entire house torn apart while she has a few vacation days off. Closets are filled with clothes we have not worn for years. Every corner contains something we simply never use and the task of cleaning around all this crap has simply gotten out of hand. Three trips so far to the Salvation Army plus my utility trailer is chock full of good stuff going to the landfill tomorrow and I have I think 8 different CL ads posted right now. With all of that plus selling more than $10,000 worth of stuff this summer there is absolutely nothing gone that I needed to keep and I still have a long way to go. The other reality guys like me are always faced with is knowing I have exactly what I need if only I knew where the hell I have it stashed.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
The other day I was admiring my nut & bolt collection I have been working on since I was 14. I'm now 75 and it's still growing!
Much is sorted, much is not. 30% is old & rusty.
The only thing I absolutely keep straight is my Stainless Steel stash! Every new bike gets a SS conversion but I always have to buy more than I have...and a few extras. In case some get stolen.
I did find a small stash of Titanium fasteners the other day I had forgotten and guess what! I found the bolts required to replace most of the carbon steel front fork fasteners on the T-Dub, will have to source a few. Ti fasteners are magic!
And it dawned on me why it is all growing...when I need a fastener I go to the hardware store instead of search the stash. And if I need 1 I get 3, and so forth.
When I'm done, the extras go into the stash...I mean "collection"!
This illness has gotten worse since I retired and have more time to go to Home Depot, Loews, Ace Hardware, Sutherlands, Geebos, Tractor Supply, Graingers, etc. They all know me by my first name and ask how my dog Whizzer is.
And then there is eBay, Amazon, etc., etc., etc.

Somebody just shoot me! :distrust:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts