TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Top Gear UK Host Jeremy Clarkson suspended for allegedly "hitting" a producer...

Apparently the next two episodes will not be aired, and the show might even get CANCELED!? Geez. This really sucks because I was quite looking forward to the upcoming episodes of this fantastic show. Part of the appeal of this show is that the producers (especially Clarkson) are so unapologetic about their style of presenting. Clarkson speaks his mind in a world where you can't do that... and this is the result. Then again I guess in this particular incident (which was apparently his "last straw") he may have actually had a physical altercation. Still...

BBC News - Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear host, suspended by BBC after 'fracas'

EDIT: The way things are looking - predictably enough - it would seem that the BBC will be shooting themselves in the foot if they don't bring Clarkson back. I've read that Top Gear UK is the most popular show in the world right now. Even if that's bs - I'm not really sure - it is definitely a very, very popular show. There's no denying that. The money that it earns the BBC is practically innumerable! And without Clarkson, the show, while it may still be successful, will certainly not be nearly as popular.

Here is the petition to bring him back:
https://www.change.org/p/bbc-reinstate-jeremy-clarkson

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Never liked Clarkson, he ruined the show so I rarely watched. Good riddance.
Sometimes some of the things he says are pretty dumb, but I personally loved the fact that he could say things that piss people off and get away with it. Maybe not anymore... I'm just upset that I don't get to see the last episodes of this season. I hope they will find a new host for it and carry on with another season. I actually think James May would make a great main host.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I loved the show regardless of what came out of his mouth . Many times my wife would be laughing her ass off at the comments he makes. I guess we don't take his wise ass comments as serious just entertainment. I don't actually like many TV shows and like even less from outside the states. But I find TOP GEAR adventures on the show, jokes/pranks better than the high end cars I will never own.

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
Without Clarkson I may not watch the show anymore. Sort of like when Jay Leno was retired. The subject matter sparked an interest but it was the personalities that forged a long term fan basis in my opinion. BBC producers may feel vindicated but viewership may suffer. I do not enjoy nor watch any of the Top Gear spin-offs or imitators.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Fred, there's a petition requesting his reinstatement. Here it is (now already with 250,000 signatures, in only 17 hours!!!):
https://www.change.org/p/bbc-reinstate-jeremy-clarkson

I would like to know a little more about what actually happened, but I think I'll probably sign the petition anyway based on principle, since his suspension is about more than this latest incident.

The top comment at the time I found the petition just happens to pretty much perfectly sum up my strongest opinion on the matter:

• "Veronique Favreau LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM

• about 16 hours ago
    • Liked 921

I pay my TV license to ensure that irreverent people can express themselves. If you become boarding and politically correct, you may disappear BBC."

To me it's less about Jeremy and Top Gear and more about the underlying concept behind this little "incident".

Freedom of expression talks, politically correct bull shit walks! Hmm. I just thought that up on a whim lol. *pats self on the back*

I am a very strong believer in individual expression even in cases where I have an even stronger disagreement with what is actually being expressed! I'm tired of people allowing themselves to be herded and corralled because of fear that they might "say something wrong." Honestly, it's fucking ridiculous. I mean I think we are all guilty of that at times; but none of us ever should be!

·
Registered
19,206 Posts
Over 415,000 signatures so far to reinstate Jeremy.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Clarkson may prove difficult to 'remove'. He reportedly owns a significant percentage of BBC,with an annual income of $20M+. I'll hate to see him leave...if he actually does.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I like Jerry but I'll take the first two and Jeff Gordon
I was trying to think of a witty or well spoken American ex-racer for the third, but I couldn't come up with one. It wouldn't be hard to improve of the current, dreadful lineup.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was trying to think of a witty or well spoken American ex-racer for the third, but I couldn't come up with one. It wouldn't be hard to improve of the current, dreadful lineup.
I hate Rutledge and that other freakin tool, but I actually think Tanner Foust is pretty cool (and the only one of those three who actually races and knows wth he's talking about). My vote would be for him to stay and the two stupid goons to get replaced. I don't think Tanner would do well as a main host, but as a secondary presenter I think he has a lot to contribute to a motoring show.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts