TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

Torn between two type of bikes....I'd appreciate some opinions!

7K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  rbm 
#1 ·
Right now I have a CRF230L and a CB900 - I'll probably keep the CRF because it's an awesome DS bike being only 260 pounds - but I'm thinking about trading the CB900. I love the bike, it has 55k miles (36k of which are mine) and it has never let me down...but the one thing I don't like is the weight. It's a handful trying to get it turned around in tight spots, and if you're pointing down any sort of incline you're screwed. Ain't no way to back the thing up.

I'm looking for a lighter bike that can be thrown around a bit more and can be maneuvered around manually without a problem.

Right now I'm torn between getting a CBR600RR, and getting a super-moto type bike. I really like the DRZ400sm - Lightweight, and 30HP can be plenty of fun for what it is. Light off-road duty for exploring the rougher rocky mountain roads is a plus too - but not totally necessary because I could just use the CRF. I like the CBR600RR because it should have unparalleled handing on the fun mountain roads; but while it is about 90 pounds lighter than my CB900 it's much heavier than the DRZ.

With on-road performance being the main priority, which bike would have the best handling and overall provide the most fun? I'm aware of the drastic differences in power, but the 30 HP is more than enough for my needs. I like the DRZ's weight, and I like the CBR's overall performance and of course engine longevity...but seeing as I have rode neither (And probably won't be able to) I can't decide which one to get.

Anyone with experience on both types of bikes have any feedback?

See less See more
#2 ·
Good luck in your search! FWIW, 90 lbs. isn't going to make that much of a difference when trying to back up an incline. I'm a little biased since I have a 919 myself but I think you'll miss having a larger motorcycle for road duty if you go with the DRZ, I know I would...

#4 ·
Probably not a huge difference for overall maneuverability, but if it feels significantly lighter and more agile on the twists I'd love to own a 600. I'm just trying to figure out if a super moto would be even more agile and more fun due to the light weight, or if the 600 would be superior due to the fact that it is a race replica. Hard to say without riding both.

I'll definitely miss the badass low-end power of the 900. Damn thing will climb a mountain in 6th gear with the engine running at around 4k! Other than that though, I can live with not having 100 HP. It's fun, but 30 HP on a 300 pound bike is damned fun too. I won't be able to charge up a mountain at 100 mph, but honestly I need to cut that crap out anyway before I or someone else gets hurt. But man.... The engine just sounds so badass going from 5-7k climbing a steep grade it's easy to get carried away.

What about the new Yamaha FZ-07 with 700 cc and 397 lb wet weight?
Looks to be a pretty cool bike; a 700cc standard under 400 pounds is pretty hard to come by. I'm not too fond of the styling of modern standards though...funky headlights and whatnot. Oldschool plain round headlight looks better in my opinion. Something to consider though, perhaps.

#5 · (Edited)
Also, the only thing that concerns me with the DRZ is that suzi engines got nothin' on big red when it comes to overall smoothness, balance and longevity. If I can't get at least 50k miles out of the engine I can't really afford to buy one. I test rode a DR650 that I was thinking about buying a while back and the damn thing ran like crap compared to the 230L. Ran rough, sounded like crap and vibrated like crazy compared to the silky smooth 230L. Hell, the 230L is almost as smooth as the inline 4 in my 900.

It really sucks that big red doesn't make any good super moto bikes. They had the 230M a while back, but it only has around 13-15HP like my 230L. I'll be damned if they don't take their new CBR300R engine and make an ass kicking 300cc super moto bike with it. I'd be all over it! Or better yet, just take their old CB450 inline twin and turn it into a super moto. Damn thing would go 200k miles! If only I had the mechanical know-how to fabricate my own custom SM.....

#9 ·
I definitely hear you. The good news though is that you can get a 919 with under 10k miles for around 3-4k, even the older 03-08 CBR's and DRZ's will fetch at least that much if I decide I want my good 'ol CB back. If I had some cash to my name I'd never even consider parting with the 900. heck, just give me all four. CB, CRF, DRZ, and CBR!

Good thinking. And that is why I no longer have my Valkyrie.
So even the cruisers tempt you to be wreckless huh? Too bad you had to get rid of such an awesome bike. Them damn HD V-twins got nothin' on a Valk. The V-twin will rattle apart in less than 50,000 miles; while the perfectly balanced inline 6 will go on for a million miles. (At least!)

Reactions: rurlndum
#10 ·
well if you really want my opinion, you should get another TW200 and have another 15k of fun. I'm simply pointing out the obvious.

#13 ·
Lemme tell ya.. if the TW had the 230L engine I'd of never sold the thing. I loved the big tires. I loved the traction. I just couldn't stand the sound of the TW engine on the highway at 55-60. It's scary riding something that sounds like it's going to blow up. Even 14/44 and 14/47 gearing wasn't relaxed enough for my tastes. This is where the 230L shines with its gearing. 5th gear is equivalent to a TW's 5th gear with 14/45 gearing. From there, you have 6th gear that further drops the engine speed by about 1,200 @ 60 mph. This puts me at around 5k on the highway compared to 7-8k on the TW. It's incredible how much of a difference there is with just a 27cc difference in engine size. You'd think the 230L wouldn't even have the power to pull such a tall gearing, but it does. I guess that's because it has a much longer stroke than the TW.

If they make a 20-40 HP TW250, 300, 350, 400, or 450 I'll definitely say screw the CBR, and screw the damn drz. Gimme a TW!

#11 · (Edited)
Since you love big red, I'm curious as to your thoughts on the new 500 series? A 471cc parallel twin, 47hp, would shave weight from your 919 and give you about about 22mpg more (using fuelly #s). That at a cost new, that would rival what you'd pay used for other bikes. 3 versions to choose from, sport styled R, naked-ish F, and the adventure styled X.

I mention it of course because I chose the F. We may have similar tastes. I love my TW for off-road riding, trails, fire road exploring, some commuting, and as a great camp and hunt bike, but I really needed something for on road/higher speed riding. I'd been spoiled with the mpg of the TW, so I got a road bike that gets about the same. I am a big boy, and I avg. 65 mpg with the TW and 62 mpg on the Honda. My riding buddy has a 919, so we obviously like the more naked style. Obviously, with over twice the hp he can loose me easily in the straights, but the 500 is so nimble.

I think these might be worth looking at. I'm feeling the adventure styled X might be for you. Great on the street, it has a little more suspension travel, a little more upright riding position, better tires for doing some dirt road exploring. Dude!

Here is a pic of my buddy with our bikes on a recent ride:

#15 ·
I forgot all about the CB500F/X. It's definitely something to consider. A little heavier than I'd like, but much lighter than the 900. I like the CBR500R too, but it's kind of pointless when the CBR600RR is lighter with better suspension and other components all-around.

I can only wonder if the new parallel twin is as solidly build and balanced as well as the old CB twins. They sound good on paper: A long stroke, slow running engine with low-ish HP output which is great for engine longevity. (Typical from big red)

Have you ever ridden his 919?

#12 ·
Get a DR650 and be done with it.

#14 ·
#18 ·
If I wanted to do some serious highway stuff and outback dirt road exploring on the same bike I think I'd get a V-Strom. Maybe a little on the heavy side but I have a friend that has one and goes some pretty amazing places in the dirt with it. And then turned around and took it to Sturgis two years.

I had an '82 R80GS that was ever better I think. That was one nice bike. On pavement or dirt roads. And about 100 pounds lighter than the V-Strom.

#19 ·
Irppcer:

Good read. I understand how you feel about the 500; that's how I feel about the 900. If only I could have that power in a 350 pound package! Even half that power in a 350 pound package would be more than enough. As for the CBR600RR, I think it would fit me quite well. I have somewhat of a spine curvature thanks to being dumb when I was a young kid - the leaned over position would be quite natural and comfortable for me. If you don't wind a 600 too hard you should be able to get 50 miles a gallon, which is what I get on the 900; so I won't take a loss there. Maintenance costs should be the same. But damn..can I really get rid of the badassed 900?? A CBR would probably be more fun though with it's lightweight agility...but maybe a 300-450cc supermoto/adventure bike would be even more so. Bleh. I don't know! I wish I could just have 'em all. Oh well. I'll figure it out eventually.

Dryden: I had no idea this bike existed. It must be pretty new, or I'm just blind considering I check the lineup at least a few times a month for new additions. Definitely a considerable choice. I'm not super fond of the styling, but it's not as bad as some of those ducati or trimuph standards (Yuck! Not all of 'em, but some of them look ridiculous) I think I could grow to love it. About 30HP, 346 pounds....not bad. Not as light as most supermotos but close. Pretty dang cheap for being a new bike. I don't understand why they didn't go with their flagship inline twin engine, but singles are alright too. 70+ miles a gallon can't be beat. I wonder what the maintenance intervals are for the valves. I'd imagine 16k if that's what they were on the 250. If only I knew how this bike would handle compared to a CBR or SM with inverted forks - if it handles just as well I'd highly consider going with this one.

#20 ·
I have had my heart set on the CB500x since I sat on one. Not a single bad review to be found "try to find a single negative comment on this bike!". Having said all of that I will test ride the new 300! Under $4,000 msrp deserves a test ride.

#21 ·
I wish the dealers around here allowed for test rides. Just a few miles and enough road to get each bike up to 60 would be enough for me to determine what will be the best for me. With every single dealer around here, the closest you get to a test ride is sitting on the bike. Even if you walk in with enough cash in hand to outright buy the bike, you can't test ride one. It sucks!

I'm almost thinking about going with the CBR300R. Heavier than the X, but I like the looks of the bike much better and the racier riding position would fit me better and would prove to be more fun in the mountains. Still saves about 150 pounds over the 900.

Decisions, decisions!

#24 ·
Hello Dark Sol,
I have ridden almost all the 1990s -2000 Sport bikes 600cc and larger if you have any questions on them I could probable answer them,, street riding answers not mechanical, I do think the Suzuki 400 Super Moto is a great choice but long distance rides I think a sport bike comes in more handy,,,,

#22 ·
Restyled 250, new connecting rod/longer stroke upping it to 286cc, you can see the appeal. I can see how it would be hard to give up that 919 though. That smooth, powerful inline four is awesome. Even my buddy admits that his is showing its age styling wise though. Why can't we have 'em all? lol.

#23 · (Edited)
I've ridden a CBR600RR, a KLX400 dual sport with street-ish tires slapped on the stock rims, and a DRZ400S with knobbies, all on a nice, twisty mountain road near my home. I've always been a huge SM fan, and I especially like the DRZ400SM. IMO it's miles better than any other factory supermoto on the market for one reason - reliability. My friend has over 55,000 miles on his original DRZ motor. He rides hard/doesn't go easy on it, and it's never let him down. For cruising down an open highway, your current street bike or the CBRRR are obviously going to be much smoother and require no effort to hold any speed you want on any road, anywhere. The CBR600 is a hoot in the mountains. There's nothing quite like that motor on the boil, coming out of a tight corner in second gear and rocketing all the way up to a screaming 15,000 RPM. Of course you know all about the amazing, smooth yet ferocious power of these inline fours. It also handled very well, although it did seem a little twitchy over some of the ripples in the bumpy mountain roads. Maybe suspension adjustment could help with that, but I think the DRZ will (and the one's I've ridden did) handle choppy canyon-corners better than the track-bred race bikes - much more forgiving. In my experience (and from watching lots of videos and reading about it all the time), supermotos handle better than crotch rockets on public roads. Ride an SM down a twisty canyon road like a supersport, and it will beat a supersport at its own game...until you hit the first decent straight, of course. In a big, 85 mph "sweeper", the CBR can probably hold a line as well as or better than a supermoto. However, line changes and directional transitions (like a quick left-then-right-then-left-again series) will be much easier and faster on a DRZ than a comparatively bulky CBR 600. Since you mentioned the CBR300 - fun looking bike, by the way - the DRZSM is still 40 pounds lighter than that! And it will be easier to manhandle at low speed because of the wider, taller handlebars. I'm willing to bet that a DRZ would pull away slowly from a CBR300 in a zero to eighty straight line drag race, and it will still handle slightly better than even the smaller sport bikes. Bottom line, if you're considering selling your 919 to move to a lighter, more maneuverable machine, a 600 will still be too close to your 919 in that respect. If street performance with a focus on handling is your top priority, the DRZ will be lighter than all your other choices, and handle better than all of them. You can flick one of those around like a bicycle! If you were on a nice wide, silky smooth race track, the supersport might actually handle better, and would certainly put in MUCH, MUCH faster lap times. However, in the real world of gravel, pot holes, and melting, wavy asphalt on uneven surfaced, poorly maintained mountain roads, with your favorite local sheriff waiting around the next corner to take your bike away...the DRZ is the best choice! All that being said, the big four cylinders will be much "nicer" on the highway (but also much more likely to get you not-so-nice speeding tickets), and the CBR300 is TWO GRAND cheaper than the DRZ, and that is quite a lot of money. If you're still considering that, don't forget there's also the Ninja 300. I like it, too, but I'm apt to believe the CBR will be the more reliable of the two, and will handle slightly better than the little Ninja. Let us know what you get!

EDIT: I've also ridden a GS500 and I owned a Ninja 500 for a few years. The parallel-twin motor in the Ninja is a beautiful thing lol! It was so fun because the power would initially come on like a nice smooth, easy-going little 250 in the mid-range would, but then you'd hit 7,000 RPM and the fun began! That motor would build horsepower very rapidly from 7,000 to 10,500 RPM; in those last 3k RPM, it probably gained 15 to 20 horsepower, and most certainly DID NOT ever fall on it's face at high RPM! The new CBR500 motor should be similar in power output to the old GS500 motor. My Ninja was very similar to the GS in the bottom end and mid range; it only produced one more foot pound of torque, but it put out 12 more horsepower than the GS, and it was lighter, handled better, and stopped faster (not knocking the GS, here - it's a great bike). The GS was about done increasing horsepower by 7 or 8k RPM, and that's where the Ninja motor walked away from it. As for handling, the Ninja was sporty and did well in the bends, but certainly wasn't perfect. I can tell you with a fair degree of certainty that a DRZSM will embarrass it in that regard.

#28 ·
There is a used SV650 at a local shop. I was really impressed with how sharp that bike looked! Not a lot of money either, $6,200 and it only has 1700 miles on it.

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.