TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How important is using a torque wrench as opposed to just tightening a bolt according to feel?

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
How calibrated is your feel? All kidding aside if its just holding a seat on then go for it. However if its something on the engine or its holding something on like the swingarm then use one. Harbor Freight has some that work pretty well and don't cost a lot.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice.

I know I should listen to it and I will but I need to know why.

Without try to cram several years of engineering school in an answer, what is the reasoning behind torquing a bolt as opposed to just muscling it tight?

·
Super Moderator
1,920 Posts
Not breaking it off.:)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Not breaking it off.:)
Or having it come loose or stretching a bolt so that it may break in the future.

Or having it so tight, that the head strips when trying to remove, especially on Allen or Torx heads.

At my age**, I am not likely to use a torque wrench, but one is advised for head bolts, etc.

** In my youth I broke enough to get a feel for it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The three wrenches linked below will take care of any fastner I can think of on a motorcycle and cost less than 100 dollars for all three. Before you get turned off by the name, some car rag did a test on these compared to more expensive brand and found their accuracy to be comparable.

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-239.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-807.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-quarter-inch-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-2696.html

those torque specs exist for a reason and while I don't torque every single faster I tighten down I torque anything down that has to do with controlling or suspending the motorcycle. Brake calipers, axle nuts, pinch bolts, ect, ect

·
Registered
298 Posts
At my age I've learned it's not worth the risk of breaking off bolt, rounding allen screws etc. The whole 2 minutes it takes to get the torque wrench is time well spent.

For example my Quigley 4x4 van needed u-joints on the front axle. Well some POS that was well trained, tightened the little cap allen screws so tight I could not remove them. Actually rounded out a third, then broke a third of them off. So I had to grind off and destroy a $150 set of locking hubs to repair the joints. It may not be you who gets burned the next time you use your highly calibrated hand torque wrench. Do it right the first time, torque to spec.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
or, if your like me, i used a torque wrench once on theTW and didn't like not being able to feel anything through the wrench, so it went into the drawer and has never come out again. i'm lucky enough to have never stripped or broken, or lost any fastener on any bike yet. so i guess it just boils down to the individual

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
If it's big I torque it. If it's small and critical, pinch bolts etc I cautiously torque it. I have only broken small fasteners with a torque wrench. Many times you can't get access for a torque wrench. You have to learn power control. I learned to torque lug nuts after it took 3 people to break them loose. Get a torque wrench which works for you. I have an old needle type torque wrench I trust if I can access the bolt. The click type I trust less and it doesn't detect low torques which can break them off.

·
Registered
158 Posts
my son had a bad habit of over tightening stuff....so i took the torque wrench and made him practice with bolts in the vice..... just using the torque wrench gives u a feel of the torque being applied ed.....

·
Registered
816 Posts
im gonna add my 2 cents here. take it or leave it, but I think there are many places where accurate torque make a difference. buy good wrenches and learn how to use them. throw that harbor freight bull shit straight into the trash or make yard art out of it then buy a set of GOOD quality wrenches like snap on, matco, ect. mine are all snap on and believe it or not in about 300 into all three. 1/4 ,3/8 ,1/2". my driver checks them in front of me annually and sends them for calibration if needed. I know the tw isn't a precision machine, but you didn't buy a Chinese knock off motorcycle did you? let the bashing begin......

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
im gonna add my 2 cents here. take it or leave it, but I think there are many places where accurate torque make a difference. buy good wrenches and learn how to use them. throw that harbor freight bull shit straight into the trash or make yard art out of it then buy a set of GOOD quality wrenches like snap on, matco, ect. mine are all snap on and believe it or not in about 300 into all three. 1/4 ,3/8 ,1/2". my driver checks them in front of me annually and sends them for calibration if needed. I know the tw isn't a precision machine, but you didn't buy a Chinese knock off motorcycle did you? let the bashing begin......
I have no problem with buying good tools if you can afford them and use them often. In my case I chose Harbor Freight ones as they are precise enough to do the job and I got a free flash light!

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Just a note. A few years ago I bought a 3/8 drive Craftsman torque wrench. After three uses a head spring broke. Thinking it had a warranty I took it back to the place of purchase. I was dismayed to find out Sears no longer warranties their tools. One of the old time employees I knew told me that as Craftsman tools are now made in China not the U.S.A. that quality has gone down and there is no warranty on them. I can take my cheapo Harbor
Freight tools back for replacement with no questions asked.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts