TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story made short. Friend asked if I was interested in doing a trek at some point so I bit the bullet and purchased this beauty:
slickers03-tw200.JPG
My first bike and I love it.

I'm super new to this and the guy I bought it from did a complete rehaul. I think the only thing I'm supposed to do is something with the valves. I'm no gearhead, but want to learn.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
Nice!

Yes, keep an eye on the valve adjustment. Search the forum, lots of good articles.

·
Super Moderator
18,131 Posts
Don't forget to adjust the timing chain tensioner while in there getting things dialed in. ;)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Welcome! That's a pretty clean and good condition "87. Many I have seen much newer look much, much older. Guy did a great job on the rework / over haul and / or it was lightly used and kept inside. How many miles is the ODO reading?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome! That's a pretty clean and good condition "87. Many I have seen much newer look much, much older. Guy did a great job on the rework / over haul and / or it was lightly used and kept inside. How many miles is the ODO reading?
For some reason I missed your reply. The ODO is like 4,200. And would you believe it, I found my wife a red '87 TW200 with around the same mileage! Now that's luck! Hers has some cosmetic stuff we have to work on but other than that, it seems to run great. Fingers crossed.

·
Super Moderator
18,131 Posts
Ok! don't know anything about this but I'll look for info.
Look in the Tech section under Sub Forum and you will find downloadable owners manuals and shop manuals.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Ok! don't know anything about this but I'll look for info.
Get yourself a shop manual.

If you search the Web, you can find one in PDF that's free. Hosting rules prevent me from putting links up; but the TW has been around a long time and parts, literature and info are all out there.

Do NOT dismiss the admonition to adjust the timing chain. Your machine was made thirty years ago - neither engine design nor owner expectations were quite up to what they are today. The timing chain was a matter of concern for the first few years of the TW run.

·
Super Moderator
18,131 Posts
Get yourself a shop manual.

If you search the Web, you can find one in PDF that's free. Hosting rules prevent me from putting links up; but the TW has been around a long time and parts, literature and info are all out there.

Do NOT dismiss the admonition to adjust the timing chain. Your machine was made thirty years ago - neither engine design nor owner expectations were quite up to what they are today. The timing chain was a matter of concern for the first few years of the TW run.
JPT, I wasn't aware of problems with the chains in the beginning years...wondering where you ran across that. I mentioned the timing chain adjuster to the OP because he was going to be checking the valves etc. I just always figure if I am doing a valve adjustment, I would do the chain to at the same time.

·
Registered
762 Posts
JPT, I wasn't aware of problems with the chains in the beginning years...wondering where you ran across that. I mentioned the timing chain adjuster to the OP because he was going to be checking the valves etc. I just always figure if I am doing a valve adjustment, I would do the chain to at the same time.
Only what other posters have put up. Seems the early years were prone to timing-chain problems.

I disremember the specifics - it was 14 months ago, when me and the TW were new friends. I seem to remember some discussion about a design problem being corrected in the early 1990s.

·
Super Moderator
18,131 Posts
Only what other posters have put up. Seems the early years were prone to timing-chain problems.

I disremember the specifics - it was 14 months ago, when me and the TW were new friends. I seem to remember some discussion about a design problem being corrected in the early 1990s.
Mines probably one of the bad ones then!! All the more reason to check it then!! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts