TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
So RDOG, are you telling folks that you had/have a REAL Tote-Goat....? When I think of being 63 and having no suspension, I fear I will have a stroke. All kidding aside, did you ever have or ride one? I suspect you could gear anything to power threw 'anything'. To move to some middle ground. If you answered Yes to either of the two questions I asked, 'how was the ride'?

I have since my youth (Boat show 60's) been intriqued with go-anywhere vehicles. Given my age, the cost of a jeep was out of the question, but Tote-Goats, Rokons and Coots kept me hoping.

Do you have any personal experience with the Tote-Goat that you can share with us? Take care BUDDY.............. Gerry

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
The Tote Gote was definitely one of the first production vehicles that you could consider a dirtbike, but a TW is a lot more than that. A Rokon is what a Tote Gote would've become. The TW is what becomes of guys throwing dirt tires and a high pipe on their Japanese street bikes.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So RDOG, are you telling folks that you had/have a REAL Tote-Goat....? When I think of being 63 and having no suspension, I fear I will have a stroke. All kidding aside, did you ever have or ride one? I suspect you could gear anything to power threw 'anything'. To move to some middle ground. If you answered Yes to either of the two questions I asked, 'how was the ride'?

I have since my youth (Boat show 60's) been intriqued with go-anywhere vehicles. Given my age, the cost of a jeep was out of the question, but Tote-Goats, Rokons and Coots kept me hoping.

Do you have any personal experience with the Tote-Goat that you can share with us? Take care BUDDY.............. Gerry

Hi my friend, no I did not have a Tote Gote my first bike was a Taco 99 my dad bought in 1967 at the local lawn mower shop. I would like to find a Pak Jack that was built in Paradise Ca. to restore. I have tried to make my TW as close to Tote Gote as I can to reach the back county without trails. I do not think my back would hold up to a bike without suspenion!

Ronnydog

·
Registered
395 Posts
for 2 grand, its got a trunk, a backrest, says i can fill the tires with FUEL and drive 500 miles between fillups. just think... 1000 miles with only one stop, I could buy this... and drive it cross country back to SoCalif.... (or not) called seller to enquire about if the pumpkin was included. he said NO. which was the deal breaker. oh well maybe ill find another one someday.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Makes-Rokon-1996-Rokon-Motorcycle-Trailbreaker-2x2-ATV-/221121869448?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item337be3f688#v4-40

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Hey Ronnydog, I came pretty close. From time to time I visit a fellow that I met a few years ago. He was kind of a scruffy biker dude a few years my junior. He was an employee at the hardware store I seem to visit twice a day
. Unfortunately he was in a motorcycle accident and days after that he had a stroke. Now he's in a home and pretty much bed ridden. Anyway, on my last visit as I drove up the street to the home, there was a fellow in a wheelchair sitting on the side of the road watching a tractor rotor-till the field next to the road. My visit with Ray, is generally short cause I can't understand most of what he is trying to say. When walking to my truck I noticed the fellow in the wheelchair was still there. Since I had some pictures of TW adventures I was showing Ray, I asked this old wheelchair bound fellow if he would like to see them. He seem pretty interested and as well recognized some of the areas. He mentioned that when he was a 'young fella' he use to ride his old Harley 45 all through the hills. Seems he made a sidecar that was not much more than a box. This held all his gear and it was not uncommon for him to camp for days at a time. He mentioned as well that he had a Baja Bug, and a couple of old Scouts over the years. We had a nice visit and I suggested I would look for him the next time I visited Ray.

Well, today seemed to be a good time to see how these guys were doing, and I had some 'flash cards' that I made for Ray to help him communicate (I hope). Given that the older fellow was such an outdoorsy guy I decided to print a picture of the Pac-Jac to show him. Boy did his eyes light-up. He said he had in fact owned one.. He had it for eight months, it cost him $1300 back in 1974. Seems his son borrowed it and stored it at a friends place as he (the son) had to drive to San Diego. Bill said the Pac-Jac was stolen while stored his sons friends house.

Bill said that rig could climb a wall but rode as rough as a tractor. As the time frame was the early 70's, after the Pac Jac, he got a Honda Trail 90 and installed a small aftermarket side car. As odd as it seems, I can remember on a few occasions seeing and older couple riding through Chico's famed Bidwell Park on a Red Honda trail 90 w/sidecar some thirty years ago. When I mentioned that, he said yup, the wife and I spent lots of time riding in the park. I'll keep looking... Gerry

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Hey Ronnydog, I came pretty close. From time to time I visit a fellow that I met a few years ago. He was kind of a scruffy biker dude a few years my junior. He was an employee at the hardware store I seem to visit twice a day
. Unfortunately he was in a motorcycle accident and days after that he had a stroke. Now he's in a home and pretty much bed ridden. Anyway, on my last visit as I drove up the street to the home, there was a fellow in a wheelchair sitting on the side of the road watching a tractor rotor-till the field next to the road. My visit with Ray, is generally short cause I can't understand most of what he is trying to say. When walking to my truck I noticed the fellow in the wheelchair was still there. Since I had some pictures of TW adventures I was showing Ray, I asked this old wheelchair bound fellow if he would like to see them. He seem pretty interested and as well recognized some of the areas. He mentioned that when he was a 'young fella' he use to ride his old Harley 45 all through the hills. Seems he made a sidecar that was not much more than a box. This held all his gear and it was not uncommon for him to camp for days at a time. He mentioned as well that he had a Baja Bug, and a couple of old Scouts over the years. We had a nice visit and I suggested I would look for him the next time I visited Ray.

Well, today seemed to be a good time to see how these guys were doing, and I had some 'flash cards' that I made for Ray to help him communicate (I hope). Given that the older fellow was such an outdoorsy guy I decided to print a picture of the Pac-Jac to show him. Boy did his eyes light-up. He said he had in fact owned one.. He had it for eight months, it cost him $1300 back in 1974. Seems his son borrowed it and stored it at a friends place as he (the son) had to drive to San Diego. Bill said the Pac-Jac was stolen while stored his sons friends house.

Bill said that rig could climb a wall but rode as rough as a tractor. As the time frame was the early 70's, after the Pac Jac, he got a Honda Trail 90 and installed a small aftermarket side car. As odd as it seems, I can remember on a few occasions seeing and older couple riding through Chico's famed Bidwell Park on a Red Honda trail 90 w/sidecar some thirty years ago. When I mentioned that, he said yup, the wife and I spent lots of time riding in the park. I'll keep looking... Gerry

I hope there is a nice dude such as yourself around...IF I make it to the old fella's age....nice to have someone to talk too at that age!.Good show!.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My brother and I bugged my dad to no end when we were young. Didn't get the Tote Goat, Arctic Cat minibike or Rupp Roadster (I think) that we wanted but finally did get a Heathkit mini bike, which almost never worked. As I recall the clutch continually had problems. Interesting topic that really takes you back. And good for you Gerry doing what folks should do.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Briefly in the 60s a local farm implement manufacturer made a version of the Tote Goat which he called the Motor Cayuse. It had a 4hp Honda motor turning a centrifugal clutch which fed a two-speed transmission that turned an ATV-like rear tire that was also the sole form of suspension. Top speed was 30 mph.

It hauled my 13 year-old carcass to fishing holes, the tops of local buttes and just to cool off in the evenings after a hot day in the fields. Fifty years later, my TW does the same thing only faster and smoother.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts