TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My back rack is a tiny little thing. I would like to use it for snacks and drinks in my lunch kit when we're riding the trails camping this summer. How do y'all attach stuff to your racks? (Pics as well as descriptions would be great!)

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Yes, I noticed your rack such as it is in your first picture. It's basically a small plate above the stock fender pad. There are little attachment points you can use to hook bungie cords to under the rear fender. However, the setup you have will only tolerate a couple of pounds on rough trails or you will bend you subframe. (I have personal experience). Yamaha makes a rack, which looks OK, but unfortunately has the same poundage limitations. Manracks makes strong smaller racks which are rather nice...mine is currently living on Hoot's bike. Welcome to ManRacks What looks like a vast majority here prefer the Cyclerack. http://cycleracks.com/ProductDetail/tabid/87/ProductID/13/Default.aspx And I currently have a full Happy Trail setup, top rack and pannier racks. Happy Trails Tail Rack<br>Yamaha TW200 - Adventure-Proven Motorcycle Gear and Aluminum Panniers There are also many other options, the secret in selecting a rack is to look to how it mounts. If it mounts only to the subframe, then it will carry very little in terms of weight.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have found that a well fitting back pack is better than mounting stuff to my TW200. The TW is already heavy enough to have to pick up or maneuver. Having the weight on me, allows me to control the weight easily. I use my rack to strap down a light jacket or other bulky, but otherwise light items. Also, stuff gets beat to hell and back strapped to the bike compared to my backpack. My lunch, for example, stays in good shape compared to the bouncing it gets in the back pack. Even cans of carbonated beverage don't get all shook up in a pack compared to a rack.

I have a manrack installed. It's big enough to handle anything I would wish.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
I have the cycleracks and like it. Use it to carry my 1 gallon rotax fuel tank when I need it. I also only put light weight stuff on my rack and use a backpack. like to have my personal stuff with me when I get off bike and explore. My Yamaha oem rack broke when had my 1 1/2 koplin fuel tank on it and it just too light weight and not nearly as sturdy as the cyclesracks. I've heard of some having trouble putting on the cycleracks, mine fit easily.

Reactions: SanDue and mudbug

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the great suggestions and reviews. Y'all definitely don't disappoint with the feedback! :happy7:

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I cannot agree with NoHair McHair on the backpack idea...for a woman. It may work for NoHair McHair, but I would NOT advise that idea for a 100 lb, woman.
Actually you can go ahead and rule it out for this fully counter-balanced 217 pound male too.

Wish I'd had a Doctor's note back when I ordered that full pannier set from Metal Mule in the UK for the Scrambler...might have helped smoothing the project with Miss Margaret.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Honey...Doctor TWilight says I should have custom seats on all my motorcycles. He's worried about back strain. He says expense be dambed when it comes to your health. So, I need to borrow your credit card...OK honey?

(I'm not allowed to have a credit card...cash and debit only...long story.)

·
Registered
676 Posts
Both my bike and sues bike have broken frames. To much weight on the rack. In the process now of fabricating a support from the rear foot peg to the rack. Might be stronger angle then the cycle rack. Dirts a Flyen. SanDue

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
The Cyclerack is perfect for the TW. I have heard complaints about the width from people that did not own one, but the rack is narrower than the directionals. My Son likes to ride on the back and I like the security of it being behind and on each side of him. I have towed a few disabled bikes with it and it is also great for picking up or dragging the rear end around in tight spots. Quality is certainly not an issue. The reason so many of us have them is because they work very well with this particular bike.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well, I can understand the logic about NOT wanting to carry a backpack, but I'll still argue the case.

If putting a small pack, and that's what mudbug was talking about; her lunch and a few things I think, is gonna wonk out her back or anything, then surely picking a TW up off the ground is gonna be much more of an issue.

Again, I'm not talking about carrying a complete tool kit, spare tires, extra fuel, etc. just what she said she was needing to carry.
I would like to use it for snacks and drinks in my lunch kit when we're riding the trails camping this summer.
My pack carries a water bladder with a tube for drinking without removing my helmet and enough space to put a tupperware container or two for my lunch and snacks.

SO THERE!! PFFFFT!!!
(Ha!)

As far as carrying other things, too much for a backpack, and to answer her question specifically;
How do y'all attach stuff to your racks?
I have the manrack and I use one of those spider bungees that has 4 hooks. It will hold most odd shapes and is fairly light.

And since she asked for a picture, here's one of mine, but it's not a good photo since I do have a rifle scabbard mounted and sorta blocking the view. But it should be enough to get the idea of the bungee net and manrack;

·
Registered
113 Posts
Not to take this thread too far afield from the needs of MudBug to find a good totin' rack for her bike..........but........
She's not needing to find a good totin' rack for her bike;

My back rack is a tiny little thing.
She's got a rack already.
What she's wanting to know, is how you attach stuff to the rack.

How do y'all attach stuff to your racks?
(If I'm sounding like an ass, I apologize. Not for being an ass, because my wife informs me I am at times, but for sounding like one.)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I am sure if this gal were to drop her bike then it would sure be a lot easier for her to pick it back up if she had a cyclerack. Cause it's awesome. I am not sure what this post is about anymore. If it is about best rack, then cyclerack hands down. I'll go further to state that both front and rear cyclerack are the greatest. I finally figured out what that front one is for. Not carrying stuff and being an extra place to lash down needed supplies. It's armor. It is rusty on both front corners and I like it that way to remind me of all the stuff that would be busted up if it were not on there. After a recent little wrestle with the ol freedom machine, I took advantage of it conveniently already being on the ground and drug it about a bit, flopped it over just to see what it was like lyin on her other side, wiggled the bars about. Front cyclerack offers protection in a variety of different positions.

Other than that it could possibly be nearly useless

·
Registered
172 Posts
Was it clear that I think the rear cyclerack is the best ever? I gotta laugh that the OP hasn't even been on here since I think the first post. The rest of us jackals are apparently an opinionated bunch.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts