TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay...right now I'm just kicking ideas around; but that's always how these things start, hey?

Being on spotty layoff this summer, I got a chance to do some touring with my "big bike" - which has its own issues but which DID get me to figure out packing. I now have it down - a week's worth of gear, in one duffle with an inner frame and hooks on the exterior to tie down. Set it on the luggage rack of my Honda; two ratchet-straps, routed scientifically, and I'm off and rolling.

Just for the halibut, I'm considering a tour or series of tours on the TW. Now I know Purple has done this; but she's going in a convoy. I'm wondering more generally if it's feasible.

By "feasible" I mean, practical - given speed limits and traffic.

Let me give you an example. I had to move one of my trucks 120 miles. It seemed the smart plan and fun, to load the TW in it and then ride the TW back.

Which I proceeded to do. Over a mountain pass.

I found that traffic, today, has no tolerance for slower-moving vehicles. I was running at about 55 mph, wide-open...too fast, really; the mirrors were buzzing. Still getting passed and getting furious middle fingers.

AND...I found...FUEL use for that little 50-mile run over Mullan Pass...was INCREDIBLE. I generally average about 80 mpg. I was getting less than 50 that day. With a 1.5-gallon tank, that's not a lot of wiggle room.

My big Honda four gets me 55 mpg. So...I was using MORE gas, and putting a lot of wear and stress on the engine...to travel SLOWER.

Is this gonna be commonplace? Are there enough relaxed byways in the country to take me, Colorado or Canada or the Pacific Ocean?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Reactions: TWilight

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Heck yes it's feasible. I just rode from Auburn, Indiana to James Bay Quebec and back. Well over 3,000 miles.

View attachment 22146

There are gravel roads and little used two lane asphalt roads literally lacing this whole country. Use paper maps, plan your route carefully. Disregard the fuel consumption. That happens when you are running hard. Carry some gas, and most of all have fun. If you compare it to travelling on a big bike you won't like it. Think of it as an adventure and you won't want to travel any other way.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Ginamarie, aka PPE, just rode the whole derned country, up, down, over and back. That there would be the definition of feasible in my book. :D

And I'm not sure what you mean by "convoy". Gina did it alone.

And "Purple" is our resident good guy Britt. Distinct from Ginamarie (probably in a great many ways). I've met Ginamarie and she's one of my favorite lassies. I want to meet Purple, and figure one day I will, because he seems one hell of a great chap.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts

·
Registered
6,367 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
I rode my TW from NY to TX and back to NY. Definitely possible. Mount motorcycle dedicated bags though as you'll see bungee cording a bunch of crap together is not efficient. Make sure the clutch return spring is fitted on correctly too.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I rode my TW from NY to TX and back to NY. Definitely possible. Mount motorcycle dedicated bags though as you'll see bungee cording a bunch of crap together is not efficient. Make sure the clutch return spring is fitted on correctly too.
Hoot? You gonna weigh in on this? Doc is dissing your "village tinker" (sorry Rick) packing method. :D

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bags are the easy part.

I'm down to two. The big duffle; which is about the size of a six-gallon milk crate. I know that because I put one in it and bolted it to the rubber bottom of the duffle. Hooks on the sides; and on the Honda I can tie it down crosswise. Not too broad and not too heavy.

My CPAP machine has its own case. I've been securing it to the top of the duffle.

NO bungee cords. I use straps with ratchet-winders...small ones but the best I can find. Several loops over and through, and it holds well.

On the Honda. I don't have a luggage rack, YET, on the TW. Hard panniers are gonna remain a dream for the present.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I'm just glad that "someone"...(old soggy boots)...made the clarification of who is whom...and set JustPassinThru straight on the differences between Purple...and Purple People Eater. And...what makes you assume PPE (Gina Marie) had a convoy with her ? As Old Soggy Boots said, she was riding alone for the most part.
Oh...I thought her kids were with her on their own rides.

My bust.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
anything is feasible if you really want to do it.

the pinball run is a several thousand mile ride on mopeds (like actual mopeds, not scooters). last year was maine to key west. this year is apparently on the west coast somewhere. if those characters do such on a bike that'll only do 35, i'm sure you'd be fine.

https://pinball-run.com/

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Awesome ride Joe! I didn't know you'd done that...I'm over there reading it now.
thanks b. pretty special doing it with my dad.
great trip

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Hoot? You gonna weigh in on this? Doc is dissing your "village tinker" (sorry Rick) packing method. :D
I am ingorning his slams :D My Bungee Jumpers did just fine...only lost a few things between Moab Week and the Upper Great Lakes Ride...:eek:

Reactions: TWilight

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Jumping in on our Upper Great Lakes Ride{between 1300 and 1550 miles depending on who is posting};) The traffic was seldom a problem, although on a few occasions jackwagons in pick-up trucks would cut in front of the lead rider{Borneo} being as*holes they were, but you get that even when driving a SUV, some people are in a hurry regardless and you just take them for the mindless robots they are, you usually catch up with them at the next stop ....

We would do our best to ride on the paved shoulders and let/wave those in a hurry past our threesome....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts