TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the pages here have lots off trackers attached to them, 15- 20 sometimes. i use a service called ghostery and it shows me the amount of trackers on pages i use, i dont really have any idea what i'm talking about but with all the lastest personal data stuff in the news maybe its something that should be looked into?? sorry if not

·
Super Moderator
4,046 Posts
They are Cookies from the companies that are placing the ads on this forum. The cost to maintain the site is paid for by the ads. Nothing we can do except block the ads with browser plugins. Maybe someone can recommend what they use. I still can't find a good one.

·
Super Moderator
4,851 Posts
I use Adblock and Ccleaner - the first one doesn’t allow any ads to get through, and the second takes care of any cookies (or trackers as you call them)

Adblock runs automatically in your browser – Ccleaner is run manually (in my case, at the end of every session when I close the internet)

The “Trackers” look at stored information on your previous browsing sessions, and try to “tailor” the advertising to your preferences – as I have no evidence of any “browsing history” thanks to Ccleaner, they get nothing from me, and they’ll find themselves deleted shortly afterwards anyway

You are going to leave a trail of these “cookie/trackers” which will follow you around everywhere, slowing down your connection, Google being the worst offender, which is how Google makes their money

One of the things I’ve noticed with this site, is that it says “all cookies cleared” when you sign out, which means that this site is not tracking you any further – the implication being that in the OP’s case, you may have a number of trackers you brought here with you

Adblock kills the ads, and Ccleaner kills the trackers – they’re both free and simple to use – and more importantly, they both work

It’s inevitable that you’ll pick up a few new “trackers” as you go each day, most sites say “by continuing you agree to this” (including this one) – but they are controllable using the two products mentioned above ……

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
They are Cookies from the companies that are placing the ads on this forum. The cost to maintain the site is paid for by the ads. Nothing we can do except block the ads with browser plugins. Maybe someone can recommend what they use. I still can't find a good one.
if the ads are blocked, then how do the cookies get through?

·
Super Moderator
4,851 Posts
Let’s say you have a cookie - the cookie reports your preferences to the mothership, which then generates and places the ad – then the ad is placed (and blocked by whatever you're using)

You can block the ads, but you also need to get rid of the cookie that will repeatedly try to generate it ....

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes, they are blocked already, there is a notification icon next to my search bar that shows the number attached/blocked on the pages visited. cheers

·
Registered
12 Posts
That just confirms you need the two progs mentioned above .....
I run Ghostery AND Ublock Origin. Ghostery is not an adblocker and blocks many more elements. It's smart to use both. And Ccleaner wouldn't help with active blocking. Only removing already downloaded stuff. And just an FYI on Ghostery. They make money by selling your anonymous browsing data. There are add-ons that provide the service of ghostery without the selling of data. but I forget the names. Only read about them on reddit and never got around to switching.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts