TW200 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the displeasure to split my tractor in two. It had a noise coming from the pto and I figured I better check it out be for some catastrophic event.

Pulled the engine away from the bell housing and found that the dampener springs were broken and the throw out bearing a bit stiff.

Took the pressure plate that has the inner disc with the springs riveted to it for replacement. OMG, over 900 just for that one part. For the whole clutch close to 1300.

Hopefully a remanufactured one will be in today at a bit over 800 complete clutch system. I hope this takes care of it. If not I will have to separate it from the transmission where it hooks to the bell housing. There is a bearing there that might be making some noise. Will make sure before putting it to work.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Used to love that stuff, but I was paid well and didn't have to spring for parts. Sounds like you've been mowing or something with impact
or engaging/disengauging under load. I'd be checking the U joints on the shaft and whatever bearing the PTO shaft is supported by. If it's an
old timer be sure and inspect the freeze plugs while you have it apart. Easy to change now. Often on old timers they will be close to failing
and if uninspected, certain to leak the second you reassemble. Think of the money your saving doing it yourself (and it will be done right).

·
Registered
19,196 Posts
"I have had the displeasure to split my tractor in two"- me too once for a tractor a fraction of the size of Plumbstraight's. He has my sympathy for tractors ain't made like motorcycles with an accessible engine sitting in a frame one can simply pull out and toss on a work bench...there is no frame, just massive castings. Good luck Randall, and may the reconditioned clutch disc, pressure plate and t/o bearing all work perfectly.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks fellows for your sympathy lol. This isn't the first time with this tractor. It is a 5300 John Deere. This tractor has been the bain of tractors. I have had two Kubotas, two Yanmars. I still have the JD and a Harry ferguson.

Yes this tractor has doen some serious bush hogging in it's life. Last year I replaced the final drive for the pto. Replaced the internal wet brake discs on both sides.

It has been torn down at least 3 times for waraunty work with the transmission. I have used it hard as I do most things. One thing for sure with me though after this one. I would not go with a JD again.

Like you folks mentioned, if I couldn't do the work myself, I would be in the poorhouse.

I would love to take some pics for you but my cam was stolen. Is the pits.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I have your little brother, JD 4100h. $345 for a small box of seals and gaskets for the transmission. JD wanted $47 for the hydraulic oil filter. $10 @ Napa. If I couldn't fix the tools I break, I wouldn't be able to have what I have.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Tractors used to be the last bastion of "real" mechanics as oppoesed the "parts exchangers" modern technicans
have become. You do have to think on a grander scale and truly understand "how things work". In younger
days I loved it. Anymore I prefer the little things like weed eaters, quads, pumps and assorted processing stuff.
And unlike many of my peers, I don't enjoy much of the old stuff to use or repair. Love checking 'em out.
If your beating up your tractors PTOs mowing you may consider a flail mower if possible. High maint but do a better
job

1 - 12 of 12 Posts