TW200 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone want to trade my black fender and headlight shroud for your blue ones? I think my 06 would look better with a blue front. Mine have a few scratches but nothing major. Ill take some pics here in a bit.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mmmmm.........think I want blue. Thanks though.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey now............Im not married :)

The girlfriend is on the healing path. Surgery with an L shaped plate and 4 screws. Doc says no weight on it for 3 months. Shes getting better with her crutches and is getting around more. She was getting depressed cause she was in bed 24/7, thats getting better. I even took her out to eat at a Thai place last night, came home had a few drinks and movie. Puts her in a much better mood. Pretty sure she wont be riding a bike this year again, hopefully next year.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Shipping would be more than paint for painting them. Unless your like me and have to have all the stock parts to put back to stock. And then I never do.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I don't recommend painting them. I've been trying for a month to paint the ancient "pale blue" plastic from my '92. What a pain in the butt.

I used the Krylon Fusion paint, which, when it sticks, works very well. The problem is getting it to stick. I sanded all the plastic down due to the scratches, cleaned it thoroughly, etc. Then, there's a 50/50 chance it'll work. Or for me, more like a 90/10 chance it won't.

I got the cowl and fender painted pretty good, though it took stripping it back down to the bare plastic twice. But then I decided to go ahead and paint the rear fender. Same routine. Only this time, the paint bubbled. There were spots all over it that the paint just wouldn't stick. It looked like it had measles. Even after letting it sit in the sun and cook really well and dry for 2-3 days, attempting to paint over it still resulting in bubbling. It just wasn't playing.

Not wanting to have to strip it down again with gasoline and other chemicals, I got out the pressure washer. Figured it'd take it off easily. Guess what? Not so much. It took point-blank spraying for about 30 seconds to even break the paint, and that was the bad, bubbled spots. I was able to clean that off. But the stuff that was good wasn't coming off no matter what. That's how well Krylon Fusion actually works... when it works.

I finally said F it and tossed it all in the trash and ordered new (white) plastic.

Rob

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've used Krylon Fusion on sun baked 28 year old atv plastic, with GREAT results.

I sanded them with rough sandpaper, followed by fine.

Wiped everything down with acetone.

Put a few coats of Krylon fusion primer, letting dry in between.

Next day, put the coats of yellow, until I ran out. Followed by as many coats of clear as I could.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have blue plastics I would be willing to trade for black. The blue would come from my new 2014 that I have had for two weeks. The Yamaha stickers have been removed from the front cowl. Maybe some light scratching from riding in the bush. Let me know if you are interested.
Cheers,
Doug

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sweet, yeah Im interested. Pretty funny, you want yours to look like an 06, I want mine to look like a 14 :)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Heres the best pic I have of them. Where are you located?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So you want to just swap? I will PM with address info.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts