TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone had any trouble with their little TW not being
heavy enough to trip the traffic lights ?
It has happened to me at least a dozen times so far.
Mostly when trying to make a left hand turn.

I has gotten to the point where I know not to get into some lanes
unless there is a car in front of me...

last night I got caught in one of these intersections.
There was a cop in the parking lot there at the intersection

He was just sitting there waiting for me to run the light.
There was very little traffic.
Twenty minutes later a car pulled up behind me.
So I pulled as far forward as I could without tripping
The camera ( the one that takes your picture for running
The red light ) got off the bike, explained what was going on
To the very nervous lady in the car and asked her to pull up
Very close to the back of the bike..
The light shortly changed , the cop waved and I was on my way...
This could become a major pain in the butt !!!
I only weigh 165#
Has anyone else had this problem ?
If so what were your solutions ??
Maybe keeping a case or two of beer on ice in the trailer will
Make it heavy enough to trip the lights ??
I might try that this weekend.
If it doesn't work I will just have to figure out how to get rid of the beer.. LOL
ALL JOKING ASIDE THIS IS A PROBLEM. Any suggestions????
MIKE

·
Super Moderator
18,166 Posts
I hate when that happens! I think in Washington state you have to sit through three cycles of the light and then you can look both ways and go. If I'm there a minute or more it's really stretching my patience, so I look both ways and blast a across, haven't been caught yet... ;)

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Around here the cameras are damn good at catching ya ......lol
If you can't get the turn arrow you will be run over if you try !!!

·
Super Moderator
18,166 Posts
I have to admit I don't even think about that when I'm running a light. Dang, I better be more careful!

Reactions: Smitty Blackstone

·
Registered
379 Posts
It is usually not a weight sensor, but an inductive loop. It probably needs tuning. Try to put your bike right on the cut line on the left or right side of the loop. We have one in our town that I can't get my bikes, or my LandCruiser to trip as it sits too high. I have to turn right.

Lots of states (but not my province) have made laws to make it legal for you to proceed if you cannot trip the light.

Just found this graphic on the web:

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have tried the ol magnet on the skid plate. Paid actual money for one that promises to trip the lights. Nothing works. If I have to make a left, I will just cross the intersection, make a u turn, and then make a right. Sometimes I make a right, make a u turn and go straight. I run many lights when there is no traffic. Like at 5:30am out in the country on my way to work. I am on an on/off road bike. I really don't think the police have a chance anyway.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is usually not a weight sensor, but an inductive loop. It probably needs tuning. Try to put your bike right on the cut line on the left or right side of the loop. We have one in our town that I can't get my bikes, or my LandCruiser to trip as it sits too high. I have to turn right.

Lots of states (but not my province) have made laws to make it legal for you to proceed if you cannot trip the light.

Just found this graphic on the web: View attachment 207291
Thanks northern spy I will try this......

Reactions: buellzebub

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have tried the ol magnet on the skid plate. Paid actual money for one that promises to trip the lights. Nothing works. If I have to make a left, I will just cross the intersection, make a u turn, and then make a right. Sometimes I make a right, make a u turn and go straight. I run many lights when there is no traffic. Like at 5:30am out in the country on my way to work. I am on an on/off road bike. I really don't think the police have a chance anyway.
Thanks Apolloha for the info.
I was just looking at one of these miracle magnets on the internet when you're post came through..
You just saved me $39.95
Mike

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
All the time! We have mostly camera activated lights here and my BMW with LED running lights usually trips them but not the TW.
If a car comes up behind me I move up as far as possible and let him trigger it. If I'm alone, sometimes I'll put the stand down and run over and trigger the pedestrian button!
If I'm REALLY completely alone I just run it. :p

In town we have an inductive loop and I avoid that intersection unless a car is already in whatever lane I need to use.

·
Registered
350 Posts
People. please!!! About 10 minutes after the first traffic light was invented and installed, most municipalities in the world made a code/law/whatever, that states, if a traffic signal is malfunctioning or not working, treat it like a stop sign. Stop, proceed when safe to do so. When a detection loop will not or cannot detect our motorcycles, it is ' malfunctioning', that is how you do it. I have been doing this for 40 plus years after being told this by a cop who rode. A few years back the Grand Duchy of WA state where I live created an additional RCW that states, if a signal won't change, wait one full cycle and then proceed, but I just go whenever it is clear. Only once have I heard of a person getting cited and the judge threw it out saying the cop was wasting every bodies time writing tickets like this, but I think the problem was he went through the light when the way was clear but chose to do it on one wheel....

·
Registered
297 Posts
I Oregon it is one full cycle and go when safe. I have been doing it that way for nearly 50 years in a bunch of States and never had a problem.

Yeah, I know, these things probably weren't around 50vyears ago but I was and my money wasn't.

The only thing I worry about is some silver haired ole gal following me against the light and nailing some innocent bydriver.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The problem with that is if you can not be detected
You can't get the green turn arrow...
If you try to proceed without the green arrow
You WILL be run over a dozen times before traffic stops.
I once got caught up in this situation and had to sit there over an hour
Before I had a chance to shoot through the light
Mike

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Thanks Apolloha for the info.
I was just looking at one of these miracle magnets on the internet when you're post came through..
You just saved me $39.95
Mike
I bought the miracle magnet before and thought it was well worth the money. It was called (Green Light). It wasn't $40.00 though. I didn't have to run any lights when I had it. At least they deemed the cameras illegal in most of Texas now. The other option I have heard is to walk your bike across the street to the closest curb on the right, pushing it. Then push your bike across the street closest to the curb in the direction you want to go, get on and ride. You were a pedestrian crossing the street at that point and they can't do anything. I would do that before waiting 20 minutes at a light. I would fight them in court before I waited 20 minutes.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's hard to do all of this pushing around and such when you are surrounded by 500 cars that all belive
The gas pedal has only two positions idle - wot .
And a red light means only 8 more cars can go but only if they are moving over 60 mph in a 45 zone
When a cop pulls someone to write a ticket then the rules really go out the window...
( Look the cops busy...go go go ). LOL gotta love Charlotte traffic..
A few minutes ago I tried northern spy suggestion of stopping directly on top of the center of the
Three wires in the pavement it WORKED at that particular light.
Learn something new every day..
Mike

·
Registered
379 Posts
Here is a list from May of 2019 for "dead red" laws. Only 18 states have them...

Workingman, one of them is NC!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
There is only ONE traffic light between my house and work...and it will not sense the TW.
A few years ago, it worked fine...even with the XT225, I would drive onto one of the lines embedded in the asphalt, and it would change within a few seconds.
Then they did some work on the street and it hasn't functioned properly since. I keep meaning to phone the city...I know it's just an adjustment that the worker can do with a laptop - I've seen it being done...but I keep forgetting.
So when I encounter this light, first thing in the morning...and it doesn't sense me; I use the four-way stop method instead.

·
Registered
176 Posts
It has happened to me at least a dozen times so far.
Mostly when trying to make a left hand turn.

I has gotten to the point where I know not to get into some lanes
unless there is a car in front of me...

last night I got caught in one of these intersections.
There was a cop in the parking lot there at the intersection

He was just sitting there waiting for me to run the light.
There was very little traffic.
Twenty minutes later a car pulled up behind me.
So I pulled as far forward as I could without tripping
The camera ( the one that takes your picture for running
The red light ) got off the bike, explained what was going on
To the very nervous lady in the car and asked her to pull up
Very close to the back of the bike..
The light shortly changed , the cop waved and I was on my way...
This could become a major pain in the butt !!!
I only weigh 165#
Has anyone else had this problem ?
If so what were your solutions ??
Maybe keeping a case or two of beer on ice in the trailer will
Make it heavy enough to trip the lights ??
I might try that this weekend.
If it doesn't work I will just have to figure out how to get rid of the beer.. LOL
ALL JOKING ASIDE THIS IS A PROBLEM. Any suggestions????
MIKE
Are you saying that you sat at a red light for 20 minutes?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I first got the tw i got trapped in a left turn lane light at a nasty intersection for an hour!!
Could not get out of my lane and never had a gap of more then 3 feet to shoot through..
A gap of 3 feet in 50to65 mph traffic on a tw would be certain death..
The older lady behind me would not pull closer to me to trip the light.............

·
Registered
176 Posts
Wow man at a certain point you need to either make a u turn or use your motorcycle to its fullest potential and just get out of there through whatevers next to the road

·
Registered
763 Posts
Three rights make a left!

Marty

1 - 20 of 31 Posts