TW200 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

Registered
When I first got the tw i got trapped in a left turn lane light at a nasty intersection for an hour!!
Could not get out of my lane and never had a gap of more then 3 feet to shoot through..
A gap of 3 feet in 50to65 mph traffic on a tw would be certain death..
The older lady behind me would not pull closer to me to trip the light.............
As it was explained to me by the Tester:
"If you have entered the intersection BEFORE the light turns yellow...then even when the light turns RED, you have right-of-way to complete your turn."
What that means is that even if your bike hasn't activated the sensor...you can enter partially into the intersection. If the light turns red, you may complete the turn that you intended.
This also means putting a lot of faith in the other drivers.

Registered
Red lights are like stop signs around here! Just watch for the cop car pulling out from the drive thru at Dunkin 馃ク

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
As it was explained to me by the Tester:
"If you have entered the intersection BEFORE the light turns yellow...then even when the light turns RED, you have right-of-way to complete your turn."
What that means is that even if your bike hasn't activated the sensor...you can enter partially into the intersection. If the light turns red, you may complete the turn that you intended.
This also means putting a lot of faith in the other drivers.
Lol ..that philosophy would get you killed first time out in Charlotte or Atlanta

Registered
Lol ..that philosophy would get you killed first time out in Charlotte or Atlanta
You may want to change when you ride. Seems like you are hitting the lights at the worst times for traffic. I have never been in the situations you have described. And I have driven in Charlotte many times. Maybe change your route if you can't change the times you ride.

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
The situations above were unusual and not the norm..
Yes rush hour sucks especially if there's an accident involved.
Honestly I didn't start this thread Just to wine about the traffic.

I did learn the proper placement of my motorcycle to get the best
Results from the traffic lights..
I can already notice a difference..

That's one of the greatest things about this forum
People with knowledge on a subject are very willing to share it with you...
As I have said before this forum contains a deep well of knowledge
Thanks guys
Mike

Reactions: Ken

Registered
Well gang,
I've had the ole' "sit at the light for eons of time" happen way more than I care to admit. It's happened on my TW several times, my Goldwing a few times and, now my new Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT. There are some lights that simply ARNE'T gonna trip.

Just about a month ago, I saw an Arizona State Trooper sitting at the entrance to our local Tractor Supply here in Lake Havasu City AZ. I decided to go up and talk to him about the infamous sitting at the light dilemma. His answer was: "I cannot tell you to run a stop light. But, I have seen, numerous times, at various intersections all over AZ, motorcycles sitting, and sitting and sitting at stop lights simply because the lights won't trip".

He stated he himself has approached Arizona Department of Transportation concerning this situation and, he said their answer was: "It's gonna happen from time to time and we really can't do anything to change it". So, with that being said, so to speak, he reiterated that, he or, any other officer of the law, CANNOT tell any motorcycle to RUN A TRAFFIC LIGHT. But, to sit there forever, just because of a design malfunction that happens on a regular basis, is Ludacris. He, and any normal thinking law enforcement officer, will tell you that, if you're caught in that situation, use common sense (I know, I know, common sense is in short supply for the humanoids) and, if you think you've waited a sufficient amount of time, well, they you have to do what you have to do. But, be careful.

He also stated that, in the many, many times he himself has witnessed this very scenario, he has never, in his 19 year career, ticketed any M/C rider that exhibited some thought and common sense, BEFORE deciding to run the light.
Scott

Registered
I've got a notoriously glitchy "smart" traffic light outside of my workplace. Rode the TW to work one day, and upon leaving, I noticed a guy on a HD had sat through the light. For reasons I won't go into, I pulled up behind him. The light would cycle through again without sensing the bikes, but was allowing left hand turns in ours and the opposite direction. Our state is a "Dead Red" traffic light state, so I backed up a bit, pulled along side the dude, and as soon as the left turn traffic cleared in the opposite direction, I proceeded just as a police officer pulled up alongside to turn right. :LOL: Harley bro continued to sit there as I was on my way.

Registered
Had this problem on my sportster, bought a strong rare earth magnet and stuck it to the frame. Worked for me. Your results may vary.

Registered
It is usually not a weight sensor, but an inductive loop. It probably needs tuning. Try to put your bike right on the cut line on the left or right side of the loop. We have one in our town that I can't get my bikes, or my LandCruiser to trip as it sits too high. I have to turn right.

Lots of states (but not my province) have made laws to make it legal for you to proceed if you cannot trip the light.

Just found this graphic on the web: View attachment 207291
Thanks for saving me a Dansplain. ;)

Registered
Thanks northern spy I will try this......
As a last resort, I might also try neutral and putting the kickstand down on the traffic sensor wire someday. Stopping right on it always seems to work for me, though.
Assuming theres no car around to coax up next to you.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts