TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
Branch not included?

Am considering this shower, or the double burner model. As depicted how long of a shower does one get? Adequately hot to melt most of the dirt off of a TW rider?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Heat water in a pan on stove or campfire to slightly over desired shower temperature.
Pour into a re-purposed 1 liter plastic seltzer bottle (wife likes Trader Joe's), with a modified cap: Drill several 1/16" holes in cap.
Hold over head and squeeze.
Then shampoo, lather all over, then douse again.
Amazing what only a liter of water will do...most of the time...if I remember to wear a hat while cutting firewood with a power saw!

·
Registered
69 Posts
On short overnighter or weekend trips I just baby wipe off.

On longer trips I just use a 1 liter water bottle with some holes punched in the cap. I used to use a 5 gallon water bag but it took a ton of effort to setup ad get hot water on and many places I go dont have readily available water so id have to use what I was able to bring on the bike.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Water filled car or truck inner tube used to work well for me. It can get plenty hot enough most of the time.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Water filled car or truck inner tube used to work well for me. It can get plenty hot enough most of the time.
Just fill your Tdub tube up with water and air like a tractor. Now you are set for that added traction needed and can take a (littletommy) shower when you are done. Just remember your mini air compressor to fill your tire back up with air or a new shower.
PS: Don't use tire sealers such as slime when using for a shower, you could scare all the campers away.

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
That all sounds a lot better than rolling in the snow to get clean. rolling-in-snow.jpg

However the times I used a solar heated shower bag I seemed to miss the peak temps, water had cooled by time I was ready to clean up my act at end of day.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I used to back pack a lot. Baby wipes was the easy method. wipe the smelly places and the face and hands everyday. Then a shower every few days. I used to have these 2 1/2 gallon black plastic jugs. Fill them in the am. Let them set in the sun. Use a rope and pull up into a tree. Then take a shower. Could get a couple of showers from one. My brother and I did this method up in the mountains in Wyoming several time.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I've used a pump-up sprayer (like these: http://amzn.to/2tdo6iE ) for showering. Even the little one quart size works, but a bigger one is better if you have the space for it. The hand valve makes Navy showers easy.
I pre-heat the water on my camp stove before pouring it in.

·
Registered
89 Posts
SNOW! Oh no. The first trip to Wyoming to visit my brother who was in the airforce. We went camping in a remote valley. Pretty sweet place. I decided to bath in the mountain stream running down from snow pack. At mid day, it hit 75 or so, my feet were numb in a minute. I cut that bath short and decided to stink. LOL Next day I boiler a big pot of water. That mountain stream was so cold.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Was at the firing center in Yakima Wa on maneuvers. I was platoon sgt in a tank company. After a week in those turtles I decided it was time for the boys to take a shower. The wind was blowing about 20mph and about 37 degrees. I pulled them into a circle around the water point that had an 8 inch pipe that came out of the ground with a valve on it. It was there to load the water trailers and such. I was first, oh my, it was so cold the soap would not bubble. I finished up the the rest of them said, Sarge, we are not going to do it. I told them, no shower?, I will lock you out of your tanks, get in there. After it was done and we had fresh clothes on life was better.

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
Sarge, that sure beats my swimming in milky glacial run-off outside Banff . At least I had a hot girlfriend to cuddle up next to afterwards baniff.jpg

·
Registered
117 Posts
Fred, I bought this for the San Rafael trip. You heat the water in the tank and then pump it up by hand. The insert is essentially a larger volume bicycle pump. Then, just carry it into the shower tent.
Picture1.png

I think it was GHDave that had this last year in Moab and said it worked great. If not him, someone did. You can heat the thing on a stove, on a grill, or get this version that comes with a stand and burner.

It's ~$180 with the stand and burner. When I searched on Amazon, there were some crazy offerings of $300 and one of even $600. But poke around and it's the cheaper price.

You are welcome to try it on the trip.

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
That you TrialRun!
That the Extreme's metal tank goes directly over the heat source makes a lot of sense.
A hot, rather than just warm shower in colder weather would be a big plus.
As you may have noticed when it gets cold I can appreciate a big supply of hot water.:p

1 - 20 of 27 Posts