TW200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do I even start???

1. I know ZERO about wiring. I need my hand to be held when dealing with this stuff.
2. I just got the bike back from a Certified Master Mechanic…he couldn’t figure it out either. Still cost me $86.
3. I’ve called Trail Tech to no avail.
4. I’ve blown 8 or more fuses and seem to have tried every wire combination. Still no luck.
5. I toasted the stock battery and replaced with a Lithium Ion.
6. This project is getting wayyyy too expensive.
7. Last resort is to send it off with MadJack Racing at $100 an hour.

So far I’ve had the High Beam and Turn Signal working, but no clue if it was correct or not (and that reeeealllly bugs me). The Neutral light is a complete mystery. I disconnected everything in order to start fresh.

I guess what I’m in desperate need of is someone that can tell me which wires to connect with near 100% certainty….probably unrealistic but it’s nice to dream.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_20190404_133551.jpg

IMG_20190404_133813.jpg

TW Wiring 1.jpg

TW Wiring 2.jpg

TW Wiring 3.jpg

TW Wiring 4.jpg

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I know what I'd do...I'd send the sombitch back! :confused2:

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Check all the links bottom left of this page?

270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check all the links bottom left of this page?

I’ve checked far and wide both here on the forum and the greater web. There are bits of info here and there, but nothing that applies directly to my scenario. Add in all the variables in and it’s a total flustercuck.

270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m not home and only on my phone with crap signal, so I can’t get this to play, but the description sounds promising. Hoping it will help at least some....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=exSzz2ZCs7M

Thanks for sharing! I’ve watched that vid. Unfortunately, it only shows how to install the speedo and sensors, which are all plug and play for the most part.

270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The neutral light has + power to it at all times. When you click it into neutral you are completing the - negative side. It's the only bulb in the cluster hooked up that way

Thank you for the info! This seems like a very important piece of the puzzle.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Prairierider nailed it, the led’s in the trailtech don’t like the switching polarity on the turn signal circuit.
Also it Looks like the 6 pin trailtech connector shares the grounds and that’s no bueno on the TW print.

You might try replacing the leds with incands. and lose the 6 pin connector. Wire it up with the 4 trailtech lights by splitting the leads without sharing grounds AND be sure to wire up a 5th light for the “meter” light circuit.
When finished it should look just like the TWPrint only the wires change color at your soldered and heat shrinked splices, no wirenuts
You can do this and got tripped up by quirky leds. It’s really simple if you break it down by connection.
Get the system up and working before trying to modify circuits or eliminate things, like that extra meter light.

·
Registered
27 Posts
On the neutral light, clip the wires out of the connector. I used the B position bulb for neutral on mine. Then just connect to the neutral light leads, just make sure you have correct polarity. On the turn signals I used A & C and taped into the turn signals positive, (separate bulbs for left and right. So it doesn't have to switch polarity.

270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Prairierider nailed it, the led’s in the trailtech don’t like the switching polarity on the turn signal circuit.
Also it Looks like the 6 pin trailtech connector shares the grounds and that’s no bueno on the TW print.

You might try replacing the leds with incands. and lose the 6 pin connector. Wire it up with the 4 trailtech lights by splitting the leads without sharing grounds AND be sure to wire up a 5th light for the “meter” light circuit.
When finished it should look just like the TWPrint only the wires change color at your soldered and heat shrinked splices, no wirenuts
You can do this and got tripped up by quirky leds. It’s really simple if you break it down by connection.
Get the system up and working before trying to modify circuits or eliminate things, like that extra meter light.
Thanks for the input! I’m taking notes on all of this and plan on stepping in the ring in the AM. Nick vs Trail Tech Round 6.

Additional notes.
I’m using the incands that it came with not the LEDs.
Wire nuts were just to keep the exposed ends out of the way. I will definitely solder and heat shrink.
I’ll plug the meter light back in as mentioned then remove after everything is ironed out.

270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On the neutral light, clip the wires out of the connector. I used the B position bulb for neutral on mine. Then just connect to the neutral light leads, just make sure you have correct polarity. On the turn signals I used A & C and taped into the turn signals positive, (separate bulbs for left and right. So it doesn't have to switch polarity.
This sounds VERY encouraging and hopefully the solution I'm after!! Fingers crossed!

I want separate left and right signals but was told that I need to install diodes…this is obviously not the case and where the confusion builds.

When you say tapped into the positive, are you talking about the positive coming from the stock cluster, or did you tap in someplace else on the harness?

270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In other words, as far as the wiring coming from the TW, I should only have to mess with the 6 wires that were soldered to the stock instrument cluster, right?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hook you left indicator to the left turn power wire. Make sure you not on the running light wire, then it would stay on all the time. Do the same with the other side.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts