TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We want to get a bigger trailer and I'm trying to understand this gvwr and gamer stuff. I need a simple yes or no. I'm looking at a 6×12 trailer but I only have a Nissan pathfinder and it says it hs a 5000# you're capacity. I think the dry weight of the trailer is 900+ lbs. I pull my pop up pretty easy and it says it's 2200 gross weight. I figure 4 bikes would be less then 1200 +the 900 and I should be ok. Does anyone have experience

·
Registered
194 Posts
Schmitty, it's not really that simple. Yes, your Pathfinder should have no problem pulling a trailer weighing 2000-2200 lb. If you are just speaking of dirt bikes, your average of less than 300 lb. per bike is realistic. If it includes one or more street bikes, maybe not.

The big problem regardless, will not be pulling, but stopping. If the trailer does not have brakes, it will extend your stopping distance noticeably when loaded. Some states advise brakes on trailers carrying over 1500 pounds. At moderate speeds on dry roads you should be OK, but it is a consideration.

One critical factor for stability is to have a hitch weight at least 10 % of the total weight. Too much weight in the rear makes a trailer very squirrely.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
If you pull a 2200 pound pop up pretty easily, I guess I can't imagine why you would have trouble with a trailer and bikes weighing a combined 2100 pounds, but maybe I am missing something. Is it hitch weight you are worried about?

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
How tall and how wide is the trailer? Frontal area is wind resistance. Double your wind resistance, you need double the power to go the same speed.

Make sure the vehicle is set up with the proper hitch. Is that 5000 pound rating with equalizers and/or sway controls or not? Drop a 500 pound hitch load on a trailer designed to use equalizers and you'll have a miserable tow. Deduct tongue weight from net cargo capacity--if you are hauling much in the vehicle, such as people, fuel, camping gear, will the hitch load overload the GVWR? What about GAWRs? Trailer brakes are mandatory.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I pulled a 6x14 trailer to TN and back with 3atv's on it behind a 91 single cab 4x4 toyota truck 4cyl. It drove fine but was a little slow stopping. Secret is following distance and driving with some sense and how you load the trailer. If you have a tongue weight limit of 350lbs dont but 800lbs up front and the same for the rear. If you get the rear to heavy it will get alls kinds of crazy on you. When I was in high school a buddy put two atvs on a small trailer behind an older s10 and he put most of the weight toward the rear of the axle and I tols him it wont work out well and he laughed and said ok. I was following him down the highway when he hit a bump and the back of the trailer started bouncing and it lifted the rear of his truck about 3 inches off the ground. Needless to say he pulled over at the next pull off and re arranged the atvs

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Hitch weight should be 10-15% of weight of loaded trailer. Don't guess. $10 to weigh truck and trailer, $2 to weigh just truck, difference is weight of trailer. Park carefully and you can get axle weights--the scale platform is in pieces, try to get each axle on a separate piece. Use bathroom scale or 2 on blocks to weigh at coupling, not somewhere along tongue. Highly recommend CAT Scales at truck stops as they are the most accurate of any I've seen. If you can get both truck axles on one

Deduct hitch weight from carrying capacity of vehicle. Balancing loads in the vehicle to stay within axle ratings may be surprisingly difficult with a heavy hitch load without equalizers. Loaded ball height should have both trailer and tow vehicle frames level, though the frames can be at different heights, they should be parallel.

Most states require brakes on a 5000 pound trailer. You will never regret having them, and setting them up properly.

Highly recommend you do some googling on trailering to see what you are getting in to. A 5000 pound trailer is enough to kill if it gets crazy.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
All of the above but I think you will be fine. Wind resistance with an enclosed trailer will eat up lots more fuel and give your engine a work out and braking is always a concern with heavy trailers behind you.

I don't see this trailer at 3100 pounds being a big issue as long as you load the weight so it is over the axle or axles and never too heavy at the tongue or too light on the tongue.

I helped a buddy one time move an 18 foot boat on a trailer designed for a 14 foot boat. The overall weight was not an issue but the weight hanging behind the axle of the trailer sure was a major problem. We hit 50 MPH and all of a sudden the entire works went real squirrly like the tail wagging the dog.

GaryL

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
If you do get the "tail wagging the dog issue" then hit the throttle hard until it pulls out of it then slow down when things are back to normal. Yeah it sounds crazy but it works. Usually it happens because of to much weight or to much on the rear of the trailer and when you hit the brakes when its wagging it just magnifies the problem.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It says the trailer is 1120 dry weight plus 4 bikes. My pathfinder is rated at 5000# tow capacity so it looks like I'd be at half that. I'm not positive that my camper is 2200 but that's what my registration says. Thanks for the info. I've been googling all day. I was gonna go with a 6×10 but it's only 100 lbs lighter and I'd like that extra 24 square feet

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
It says the trailer is 1120 dry weight plus 4 bikes. My pathfinder is rated at 5000# tow capacity so it looks like I'd be at half that. I'm not positive that my camper is 2200 but that's what my registration says. Thanks for the info. I've been googling all day. I was gonna go with a 6×10 but it's only 100 lbs lighter and I'd like that extra 24 square feet
A pretty good rule of thumb is to never exceed one half of your vehicles capacity, your vehicle will last a LOT longer. The real difference between the 6x10 and the 6x12 is not weight, but wind resistance and handling in crosswinds. However, it is impossible to say without a trial which one will handle better. It could actually be the 6x12, but my guess would be the shorter one. The 6x12 will definitely have more wind resistance, since both are open trailers.

You are getting into pretty deep territory with that little Pathfinder....do you really want to go 45 to 50 mph in winds and hills all day? Personally, I would not want to tow a 6x12 with four bikes and camping gear or whatever with anything less than an F250, but then I'm in the West where wind and hills are the norm.

Don't forget that pop-ups are very aerodynamic and open trailers full of bikes are definitely NOT! I tow my 2,000 lb. pop-up all day long at 75 mph with a Tundra getting about 14 mpg, but when I tow my 5x8 enclosed utility trailer with two bikes, at only slightly more weight but an additional 4 feet of height my mileage goes down to 10, and I'm out of overdrive half the time....BIG difference! YMMV :p

·
Registered
27 Posts
In PA trailers over 3000lbs GVW have to have brakes and a yearly inspection. Is not uncommon to for trailers that size you are looking at to have 3500lb axles and have a GVW of 2900lbs to avoid the brake and inspection requirement. Like several of the other posters have stated a 3000lb trailer with no brakes and a small vehicle can get dangerous in a panic stop situation (even worse in poor weather conditions). I also agree on proper weight distribution. I was with a buddy and we were towing a car trailer that we had to load the car on the trailer backwards due the fact it would not run and where the car was sitting. With to much weight at the back of the trailer it started to wag so bad it nearly pulled a F350 off the road. The fact that the trailer had brakes and we were able to hit the trailer brakes was the only thing that saved it.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
If your talking about a open lawn/utility trailer you should be fine IMHO. Your not talking much weight. Now an enclosed trailer is another story
Indiana drivers be like yup it pulls good.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If you pull a 2200 pound pop up pretty easily, I guess I can't imagine why you would have trouble with a trailer and bikes weighing a combined 2100 pounds, but maybe I am missing something. Is it hitch weight you are worried about?
I've got that Steve McQueen poster in my office! LIKE!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have towed many trailers mostly with a Dodge Dakota with a V-8 and a towing package. But a friend of mine used to tow my bass boat (about 2000 lb) with a small Geo Tracker (made by Suzuki) all the way from Penn. to Lake Placid NY. He never had problems. I never had problems towing a 5000 lb (26 ft) camper with my Dodge Dakota but it was equipped with the tow package, load dist. bars, trailer brakes and a sway bar. The boat trailer with boat always towed easily and it was more than 16 ft. long. I don't think the extra length should make much difference. A short wheelbase vehicle is not as good at towing as one with a longer wheelbase, although the Chevy Tracker sure had a short wheelbase! Too bad you can't try it out before you buy it!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We went ahead and bought the 6×12 and picked it up Sunday. Pulled fine empty as I new it would. I was reading my manual and it's rated for 5000# and so is my hitch and ill be right around half that so I'm not really concerned. The hills are a different story. Just need to stay low on the way up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts