TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
Yes it's me again.
Trying to learn all that I can to proceed with my project.
Verses my normal costly method of guess and go. Lol

Looking for any knowledge , tips , tricks , suggestions , instructions , patterns , basically any
help at all when it come to cutting the clearance notches in the trailer wheel to let the
Custom hub pass thru..
I need to do a good job on this so that the rear wheel turns out to be a well balanced assembly.
The tire shop told me they would be glad to balance the tire and rim before it is cut but they can't
do it after it's cut.
I can't afford to take it to a machine shop,the set up fee is to high
THANKS AGIAN FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP IT IS APPRECIATED
Mike

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Go to a different tire shop. There are balancer adapters that grip the lug holes instead of the center hole. Any good shop will be familiar with them because there it is the best way to balance a wheel with a vent center hole.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
The easiest way is going to be to find someone that has a drill press, if not then a decent drill and a steady hand. I can measure out the actual clearance needed and you can do some careful measuring. then you can buy metal hole saw drill bit and cut it out fairly easy.

The tire shop wont ever touch it if you butcher it with a grinder.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any help would be appreciated. I was thinking of a hole saw myself. Maybe turning down the end of a end mill to fit a drill press and using a harbor freight feed table.. keep the good ideas coming.
RIDE FAR...RIDE HARD
mike

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
Here is a picture that illustrates the notches that are required to allow the rear hub to pass through the center of the trailer wheel. Perhaps there is a machinist out there that can offer some tips on how to best cut these notches.

Considering the weight of the my big old ATV tires and the relatively low speeds that a TW is capable of, I have never felt the need to balance either of my two trailer wheel conversions. YMMV.

Alloy wheel Wheel Rim Auto part Spoke

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TW-brian that looks JUST like the wheel I just bought ....,.., I guess great minds think alike.LOL
MIKE

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Me too. Harbor freight...lol
Mike

·
Registered
23,169 Posts
Apologies Stufidmotard. Knew what you meant but I am a terrible tease. Thought I could could trick you into revealing story behind that nifty trailer on your TW avatar.

·
Registered
23,169 Posts
Galvanized bling just might be the next big thing, however I think the Harbor Freight's 8 triangular cut outs are a bit easier to pass tie own webbing through than the 10 round holes. I painted mine blue, an 8 round hole wheel possibly stamped out by out LittleTommy. The round holes abraded both rope and webbing.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just ordered a rim that I will notch it with a hole saw. It seems to me the easiest way to do it would be to bolt a piece of 1/2" plywood to the center of the wheel using the lug holes to secure it, then mark up the plywood for the hole cuts.

Did you guys do it that way?

·
Registered
526 Posts
A note of caution about galvanized wheels.
I have no skills so I had a shop cut the notches in my galvanized wheel. I didn't tell him how I wanted it done, just showed him a picture with dimensions of how the finished product should look. He used a torch and discovered that galvanizing burns The ugly, burnt wheel needed to be painted black and lost any advantage to the galvanizing, which I paid a couple of bucks extra for.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I ordered the galvanized wheel, but I will also get it powdercoated after I modify it. You will still benefit from the galvanized coating at the seams

1 - 20 of 26 Posts