TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'20 TW with mods
156 Posts
I just ordered a rim that I will notch it with a hole saw. It seems to me the easiest way to do it would be to bolt a piece of 1/2" plywood to the center of the wheel using the lug holes to secure it, then mark up the plywood for the hole cuts.

Did you guys do it that way?

·
Registered
'20 TW with mods
156 Posts
I ordered the galvanized wheel, but I will also get it powdercoated after I modify it. You will still benefit from the galvanized coating at the seams

·
Registered
'20 TW with mods
156 Posts
Thanks. I drilled 1/8" starter holes on the front going into the back template that I bolted on (1/8" sheet aluminum). I used a basic bi-metal 1-3/8" holesaw drilling into the template once I located the starter holes. The hardest part was grinding down all the sharp edges on the entire rim (including the triangles). I also sanded down the inside if I ever decide to run an inner tube. I'm getting ready to ship it to my dad's out west (where my TW lives). I will have it powder coated gloss black. There's a shop there that does a great job at a good price.

Here's the drill attachments I used to smooth it all out:

Other rims that I had powdercoated:

Before

I forgot to file down one of the rims edge before I had them coated. You can see the flaw on the back wheel. Powdercoating does not like sharp edges

After

1 - 5 of 5 Posts