TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Are you talking about cutting it with a torch? It won't be an issue with a holesaw
Cutting galvanized with any kind of saw is just fine. It'll put off some fine dust that you want to limit exposure to. It is really the fumes that kill welders quickly, not the dust.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I used to hang around on a pretty active welding forum. It was pro welders as well as nimrods and everyone helping each other. A lot like this forum.

One day, out of the blue, one of the founding fathers quit posting. A buddy went over and asked around at his place and the ole guy had up and died.

It was Cadmium plated bolts he was cutting off to dismantle a large container he had snagged at an auction. Didn't want to bother anyone to hold a wrench to just undo the bolts and nuts, so he torched them. Killed him dead.

It's a lesson that I have tried to learn the easy way.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'20 TW with mods
156 Posts
Thanks. I drilled 1/8" starter holes on the front going into the back template that I bolted on (1/8" sheet aluminum). I used a basic bi-metal 1-3/8" holesaw drilling into the template once I located the starter holes. The hardest part was grinding down all the sharp edges on the entire rim (including the triangles). I also sanded down the inside if I ever decide to run an inner tube. I'm getting ready to ship it to my dad's out west (where my TW lives). I will have it powder coated gloss black. There's a shop there that does a great job at a good price.

Here's the drill attachments I used to smooth it all out:

Other rims that I had powdercoated:

Before

I forgot to file down one of the rims edge before I had them coated. You can see the flaw on the back wheel. Powdercoating does not like sharp edges

After

21 - 28 of 28 Posts