TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the years I have on more than a couple of occasion used a small trailer to carry my motorcycles over long distances.
In 2003 I trailered my Suzuki Savage (S40) from Saskatoon to Asheville North Carolina. I used the same trailer to haul my Suzuki VS1400 from Saskatoon to Texas. And I used the same trailer to haul my BMW from Saskatoon to Calgary a couple of times.
I estimate that I have trailered about 14-15,000 kms.

The trailer I used for this cost me $175.00 brand new. It is a kit trailer like those sold at Harbour Freight. I added a second deck sheet of plywood after the first 20 years - I bought the trailer in 1978. I have replaced the tires twice and the bearings once. I have replaced the wiring and tail lights once. I added a wheel chock about 12 years ago. You can see the style of trailer at Heavy Duty Utility Trailer - 870 Lb. Capacity
Mine came with a larger deck area. and has a 1,000 lb capacity.

I mention all of this because many of us need to trailer occasionally and folks tend to underestimate what those simple utility trailers can do. I am careful to run the tire pressure at 80 psi. I run 55-65 mph when loaded. I have lubricated the wheel bearings about ever 3-5 years but always before a long trip.

All of this is by way of pointing out - what ever trailer you have available will likely do a whole not more than you anticipate by paying just a bit of attention to its maintenance.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Qwerty used to post about his HF trailer. Link post #6

View attachment 2631

Tirebiter has his own HF setup
396116024.jpg

I myself have a slightly more expensive trailer from northern tool..

13" wheels, rated to haul 1500lbs & the deck size is 56 1/2" x 99" Other then really bad oem paint that flaked off within 6 months. I've been beating the heck out of it for few years now.

My tw200, ct 70 and rv 90 all fit in it easy.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I have a 5' / 8' 13" wheeled 1500lb. trailer that has been to the grand canyon and back from Mich.. 4,500 miles.. Still looks like new... Very easy to load with built in ramp. OMM.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I had one way back when with 8 inch wheels. The tires didn't last long at highway speeds. Went to 12 inch wheels and had no further problems. I now have an 8x5 that i cut down to 6x4 to pull behind a quad with either the TW or a Rokon on it. Why? So I can take Meka with me to the trail where she can keep up at trail speeds.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
No tolls to the West of me, but if I want to go East towards towards Mt Rainier then.....

95thAveNWto24thOnRamp.jpg

24thStNWOnRamp4.jpg

Number of AxlesGood To Go! PassCashPay By Mail
Two (includes motorcycle)$4.25$5.25$6.25
Three$6.40$7.90$9.40
Four$8.50$10.50$12.50
Five$10.65$13.15$15.65
Six or more$12.75$15.75$18.75

I've got water to the North and South of me :( so I don't like taking the.........
washington-ferry.jpg

·
Registered
20,469 Posts
Ooooh, pretty expensive tolls. Good trailer pics, males me question integrity of my Harbor Frieght reciever carrier after seeing post of failed HF carrier.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Here is the trailer I use. I upgraded the the chocks through.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Oh! Sorry. You meant this trailer:

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
This little trailer has come in handy for hauling a lot of different stuff even though the original intention was just for the TW.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
As far as the Chinese trailers go, clean the bearings and use a good synthetic wheels bearing grease from the start. That panda fat that comes on them is a joke. Do not partake of the fold-up feature--cutting the bed makes the trailer floppy.

On any small trailer keep the tires inflated--they run high pressures and bleed quickly. Choosing 6-ply tires adds life to tread and better resists punctures and overloading. Even the little 4.80- tires won't overspeed the bearings until one hits about 172mph, so that isn't an issue. If you have a choice, the taller the tire the longer it lasts and the smoother it rides. That is why my little Chinese trailer, though 4.80-8 4-ply tires are speced, wears 5.30-12 6-ply. I've put over 11,000 miles on that trailer on the highway, and it is now doing regular service hauling a riding mower, leaf vac, or snow blower as seasons vary. It is still on its original tires, but they are close to wearing out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Have been giving more thought to a trailer lately. I'm thinking it would allow access to good rides that are just a bit too far away....

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
have been giving more thought to a trailer lately. I'm thinking it would allow access to good rides that are just a bit too far away....
bingo!

·
Registered
20,469 Posts
Used to have a Sears single swivel-wheel trailer. Had two bumper mounts and a single swiveling road wheel on leaf springs like a shopping cart's castor wheel. Puppy was great for backing up and off-road, would never hang up and backing up was a total no-brainer, impossible to Jack-knife. Gave trailer away years ago but wish I had it now to haul TW.
Modern versions available now but a little pricey and all are much bigger.
Since it acted effectively as an extension of car's chassis the trailer and its load did affect cornering dynamics. Push hard entering corner and everything's fine untill trailer's rotating momentum caches up and pushes back. Ooops, oversteer time! Thus was born my favorite contraction "Slideways" to discribe cornering technique, or lack thereof.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Slideways? BWAAHAAHAAHAAHAA!!!! Best summation of emergency manuevering with a caster trailer I ever heard.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts