TW200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did this neat trip saturday riding trails, section lines, powerlines, ditches and so on from my house near hatcher pass across the valley to the knik river bridge, then up the riverside trail to jim creek, then up to the glacier, across metal creek, up metal creek trail, and then back home via a different route than I came for the most part. Ive been to Knik a jillion times like lots of people, but this trip meant more to me due to the fact that it was trails all the way from house to house, like 95 or 100 miles in about 7.5 hours. You really get a sense of how big the valley is, and how fortunate you are to live in a place where this is possible. A long day in 30 degree weather with loads of deep water crossings and puddle splash. Was wearing goretex waders so I stayed warm the whole day. The video should be viewable 2 hours after this is posted. Hope you all enjoy it. This is the quintessential winter riding spot in southcentral ak, it stays snowfree most of the winter due to rainshadow effect and other reasons. Just an inch of ice showing on the glacier toe lake.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Did this neat trip saturday riding trails, section lines, powerlines, ditches and so on from my house near hatcher pass across the valley to the knik river bridge, then up the riverside trail to jim creek, then up to the glacier, across metal creek, up metal creek trail, and then back home via a different route than I came for the most part. Ive been to Knik a jillion times like lots of people, but this trip meant more to me due to the fact that it was trails all the way from house to house, like 95 or 100 miles in about 7.5 hours. You really get a sense of how big the valley is, and how fortunate you are to live in a place where this is possible. A long day in 30 degree weather with loads of deep water crossings and puddle splash. Was wearing goretex waders so I stayed warm the whole day. The video should be viewable 2 hours after this is posted. Hope you all enjoy it. This is the quintessential winter riding spot in southcentral ak, it stays snowfree most of the winter due to rainshadow effect and other reasons. Just an inch of ice showing on the glacier toe lake.

Hi Tiny-Wheel-200: I don't know how your shoulder can take it, but I love the video. Keep it up!

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hi Tiny-Wheel-200: You have stated before how your o-ring chains don't last very long, well now I can appreciate that with the water and climate you are dealing with. In your video you showed the chain slack at one point. Did you tighten up then or just run on?

·
Registered
19,605 Posts
Thank goodness someone posted an adventure video this week, and what an excellent one at that! Thanks again TinyWheel, I haven't ridden this week and was going through trail withdrawal symptoms. Your Alaskan videos are very much appreciated.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Thank goodness someone posted an adventure video this week, and what an excellent one at that! Thanks again TinyWheel, I haven't ridden this week and was going through trail withdrawal symptoms. Your Alaskan videos are very much appreciated.
Get off the computer and get riding then! Too damned cold and wet here. Rode to town yesterday "10 miles" total. Took two hours to warm up from a twenty minute ride.

Tom

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Tiny-Wheel-200: You have stated before how your o-ring chains don't last very long, well now I can appreciate that with the water and climate you are dealing with. In your video you showed the chain slack at one point. Did you tighten up then or just run on?
That video perfectly illustrates why my chains die quickly. Theres loaads of really fine silt suspended in nearly all the water. Also loads of fine sand gets kicked up onto the chain. I did tighten up that chain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts