TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
You will definetly enjoy the trip. I rode it solo last July and had a great time. In my opinion it gets better further north but it is all scenic and a fun ride. If you get a chance, I recommend you stop at The Chippewa in Clam Lake for some gourmet pizza. I look forward to hearing about your trip.

And FYI, the TW is the perfect bike for the TW adventure trail.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
waiting for pics. enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
13,421 Posts
Well, I finally found a window of time to ride the T.W.A.Trail and I can't wait. I'm anticipating some long days, great scenery and fun riding. I'll post a ride report with pics when I get back. Stay tuned...
I fixed your post for you:p

You're gonna have a fun adventure!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks fellas! I'm definitely excited for the ride. I'll try to photograph everything I pack and get a couple of the loaded bike. I'll be writing a review of my new Wolfman Expedition saddlebags as well as some Aeromoto Renegade waterproof boots I just picked up. So far, for the price ($100) the boots are awesome. Rode home through a record breaking rainstorm yesterday and feet stayed dry!

I've recently developed a base gasket leak (seep?) and won't have time to reseal before the trip so wish me luck...I'm going to roll-the-dice and see what happens. I'm bringing an extra chain and spark plug, that is all. Awe hell, maybe I'll throw the gasket in my bag too...

More to come!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
503 Posts
a tube of gasket maker may be a good addition, as well as duct-tape and a few zipties

that being said, just be sure you bring us all back some pictures please.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Lived in the Wausau and Merrill area back in the late 70s....take plenty of bug spray and enjoy!:p

·
Registered
182 Posts
Good luck, on your adventure! I look forward to seeing the pictures and reading reviews on the boots and bags.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm new to off-roading, what's the start/end?
Anybody have some google maps?
Would love to do something like this, but don't know where to start.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I'm not sure how to add pictures using Tapatalk so I'll have to wait until I get home for that. Today went really well. Excellent actually...everything fell into place. Woke up at 6:30 am and made a strong pot of coffee to drink while I finished loading the bike. I got all the loose ends tied, kissed my wife and kids, ate breakfast and was on the road by 8:15am. Not too bad for a dad! I blasted through the first 50 miles on interstate just to get out of Minneapolis. From Hastings I took the Great River Road south (wisconsin side) to Lacrosse. This was a phenomenal ride on the TW. Many miles of long, sweeping turns through the bluffs. Some of the long uphills forced me to shift down to fourth and move to the side. My lowest highway speed was around 45mph with a steep uphill and stiff headwind. Otherwise I maintained a comfortable 55-60mph. All in I rode 340 miles today. Spent 8 hours in the saddle and didn't push too hard. Had to add oil twice and tighten the chain at camp.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got to the "trail head" of the T.W.A.T. At around 5pm and decided to push on for another hour. Definitely a good choice. Immediately at the start of the trail I bumped into four guys who we're finishing the North to South route and they said it was great. They were all on big bore dual sports. A KTM 990, BMW GS a DR and KLR, I believe. Promising.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Have a great trip and post if you can and I always take Baby wipes to stay clean and a wash cloth to clean my face every night.

·
Banned
4,030 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The first hour was a mix of gravel and rural farm roads through rolling hills. Absolutely beautiful. I cruised along at about 30mph taking in the sights and smells. Very old-world still in parts of Wisconsin. Makes me very happy to see that not all of us are caught up in the horrifically fast pace of modern urban life. I thought I was going to have to ask a farmer to borrow some tent space when I came upon an absolute GEM at the Banfield Bridge Recreation Area. It's a perfect little park / boat launch to the Platte River that has a picnic table and fire ring. Still not sure if it was "legal" but some fishermen I talked to said people camp all the time. So I'm camping on a quiet river bank. No other campers anywhere. And free!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts