TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having search the forum and it returning too many threads to go through looking for items.
The returns were unrelated to what i was actually looking for.

The DR was not really overloaded, just bulky.
Looking for replacement items.

Tent : Passage 1, weight is comparable to other 1 person setups. Just over 3 lbs.
Don't like it only because of side opening, too hard to get in and out of for me. Tent in comparable weight, with end opening would be desirable.
Had a Starlight some 20 years ago that was great. not manufactured any longer.

Sleep System : Big Angus Sleep System, sleeping bag (3 lbs) and air mattress (1 lb) weighs too much and takes up too much room for the smaller tail bag I want to use on the TW.
Get rid of Big Angus stuff, if something else will work.
Mummy bags feel too confining. It can be 90 deg at night or below freezing in a single trip, even just a few days apart.
Have a pad i can use. It is not a sleeping pad, but an exercise pad that is thicker than the sleeping pads i found at Academy. Have not tried it out yet. Roll it up and strap on somewhere.

I have the medium size Wolfman Expedition Dry Duffel. 24 in long.
Would like to be able to drop down to the smaller size.

Side Racks : Each side bag I use weighs in at 15 lbs. yes i weigh them when packing.
Was wanting to use these on the TW : Happy Trails SL (Soft Luggage) Racks from Procycle, unsure if the will support 15 lbs.

Top tail bag, it comes in at just under 30 lbs. Might hit 40 depending on spares (DR) carried.

Looking for other TW riders' comments on these items in here.

As a side note, i want to put the XT225 tank on the TW, but have not found enough info that tells me to do it.

Thanks,

Nicor

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Alas, the sticky for the xt225 Clarke tank is hampered by the Photobucket goobering of photos, but the words work. I did update the photos for the xt350 oem tank sticky and the mounting is largely the same . . . so you might benefit from looking at all of the tank sticky threads and being creative.
When I rigged saddlebags for my bike, I used a yoke across the back of the seat to support most of the weight and used side brackets primarily for keeping the bag away from the bike/muffler/rest of frame. I collect rocks in my saddlebags so I know they will hold weight. Enjoy the planning.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alas, the sticky for the xt225 Clarke tank is hampered by the Photobucket goobering of photos, but the words work. I did update the photos for the xt350 oem tank sticky and the mounting is largely the same . . . so you might benefit from looking at all of the tank sticky threads and being creative.
When I rigged saddlebags for my bike, I used a yoke across the back of the seat to support most of the weight and used side brackets primarily for keeping the bag away from the bike/muffler/rest of frame. I collect rocks in my saddlebags so I know they will hold weight. Enjoy the planning.
I can see the pics for the XT225 now that GoldenHTR posted on a thread, #10 on it.

http://tw200forum.com/forum/general-discussion/57402-bought-tw200.html

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been an "Ultralight" backpacker for some years. The name of the game is getting your big 3 ( tent, sleep system, pack ) as close to the Sub 3-4lb mark.

Start checking out some long distance backpacker videos or blogs, much of the gear could be a great build for an Ultralight ADVDub system. I am just glad I don't have to go out and buy a bunch of new gear.

My tent- Henry Shire Tarp Tent Double Rainbow - 41oz. Have slept below 20* comfortably

Sleep System - down quilt
sectionhiker.com/sectionhiker-gear-guide/10-best-ultralight-backpacking-quilts/[/url]
With a Thermarest Prolight
thermarest.com/mattresses/prolite[/url]

Cooking
Jetboil
jetboil.johnsonoutdoors.com/stoves-systems/flash-cooking-system[/url]

I imagine even some of the Ultralight Packs would make a great trail rack bag- many of these bags are 1-2 lbs or less!
sectionhiker.com/sectionhiker-gear-guide/5-best-ultralight-backpacking-packs/[/url]

Add the www to my posts as the site wont let me post links yet

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have been an "Ultralight" backpacker for some years. The name of the game is getting your big 3 ( tent, sleep system, pack ) as close to the Sub 3-4lb mark.

Start checking out some long distance backpacker videos or blogs, much of the gear could be a great build for an Ultralight ADVDub system. I am just glad I don't have to go out and buy a bunch of new gear.

My tent- Henry Shire Tarp Tent Double Rainbow - 41oz. Have slept below 20* comfortably

Sleep System - down quilt
sectionhiker.com/sectionhiker-gear-guide/10-best-ultralight-backpacking-quilts/[/url]
With a Thermarest Prolight
thermarest.com/mattresses/prolite[/url]

Cooking
Jetboil
jetboil.johnsonoutdoors.com/stoves-systems/flash-cooking-system[/url]

I imagine even some of the Ultralight Packs would make a great trail rack bag- many of these bags are 1-2 lbs or less!
sectionhiker.com/sectionhiker-gear-guide/5-best-ultralight-backpacking-packs/[/url]

Add the www to my posts as the site wont let me post links yet
What, you mean the total weight of the big 3 below the 3-4 lb ? Sheesh.

I use the Pocket Rocket. Been using them for 20 years. An 8 oz can will last me a maybe a week, make that 2 weeks.
I have been packing two cans. Now i am asking myself why I did that, mostly because i wanted to make sure i didn't run out right when i was needing some coffee.

Started out the with MSR liquid one,. Just didn't like dealing with filling it back up.

I'll look up the other items you listed.

Thanks.

edit :

The tent, not too sure of. It's a maybe.

The quilt I do like it and the main reason is that i do sleep on my side. That's why i have 25 in wdie sleeping bag. Just more room than mummy for me.

I did have a self inflating Thermorest, i threw it away. Didn't like it one bit.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Self inflating except for two big breaths. :D I've loved all mine for the last 25 years.
Yes, i would do that also, still didn't like it.

Seemed i could never stay on it.
That's why I went with the Big Angus Sleep System.
The inflatable mattress with that slipped into a pocket attached/sewed under the sleeping bag made to do that.

·
Registered
344 Posts
For me it would be easier and cheaper to lay off the beer for a week or two to drop three pounds on "equipment".

I get the ultralight gear dealio when I'm carrying it, but not so much with the hydrocarbon assist.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
For me it would be easier and cheaper to lay off the beer for a week or two to drop three pounds on "equipment".

I get the ultralight gear dealio when I'm carrying it, but not so much with the hydrocarbon assist.
I don't drink alcoholic beverages. What few pounds overweight i am is quickly shed during the trips i take.

·
Registered
344 Posts
No worries. I’m just saying that there are alternative ways of decreasing overall weight on an expedition. If I recall correctly, Hermann Buhl, used to show up pudgy on most of his himilayan expeditions, because it was easier to carry fat on the body than food in a pack. Statistically speaking, it would be easier, healthier, and cheaper to drop 3 lbs in body weight, than in tent weight. Consider it an alternative.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thinking like a backpacker is a good Idea but you do not have to go to ultra-life.

I have a MoTrail Tarp tent that weighs in about 2 1/2 lbs but it is really compact and can be stuffed into a small pouch. I have a military down sleeping bag that is really warm that i love but it is really heavy and when it gets wet it takes a long time to dry. To replace that I just picked up a 0 degree bag from OutdoorVitals that I have not tried out yet but it is really light at 2lbs 9oz. To go with that I picked up a Therm-a-rest Neo-Air which I like cause i am a side sleeper also. For cooking I use a older Primus backpacer gas stove that I have had for a while now.

It might be interesting to add a hammock system to the kit just to see if I could make it work.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I have an arctic survival bag (military issue from Korean War era) that would take up every bit of cargo space on the TW. Its a mix of feathers and down, 2 bags (one fits inside the other) and an external bivy bag. I threw away the rubber air mattress. It didn't fit with the ultralight concept. Oh how far equipment has come over the last 70 years. My wife and I do use the Arctic bags to supplement modern bags when we are winter car camping.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thinking like a backpacker is a good Idea but you do not have to go to ultra-life.

I have a MoTrail Tarp tent that weighs in about 2 1/2 lbs but it is really compact and can be stuffed into a small pouch. I have a military down sleeping bag that is really warm that i love but it is really heavy and when it gets wet it takes a long time to dry. To replace that I just picked up a 0 degree bag from OutdoorVitals that I have not tried out yet but it is really light at 2lbs 9oz. To go with that I picked up a Therm-a-rest Neo-Air which I like cause i am a side sleeper also. For cooking I use a older Primus backpacer gas stove that I have had for a while now.

It might be interesting to add a hammock system to the kit just to see if I could make it work.
I have an arctic survival bag (military issue from Korean War era) that would take up every bit of cargo space on the TW. Its a mix of feathers and down, 2 bags (one fits inside the other) and an external bivy bag. I threw away the rubber air mattress. It didn't fit with the ultralight concept. Oh how far equipment has come over the last 70 years. My wife and I do use the Arctic bags to supplement modern bags when we are winter car camping.
I don't really have to go ultra-light, Just knock down some of that weight.
Just don't want to carry as much weight as i have been on the DR.

Thought it would be a good time to downsize some. Especially considering where i want to ride the TW.
Have more of a matched load to the TW size, as opposed to what i carry on the DR.

Maybe ought to just go the route that Hobbitrider did when he road the NMBDR.

The DR has too much weight towards the top.
The saddle bags are too far forward and too high.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts