TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I shift into 5th gear my transmission makes a whining sound when I'm giving it some "throttle". Anyone have a similar experience or an idea what could be causing this?

I've been riding it for several months, heck, even maybe since last summer but didn't really pay attention to it until this year. Thought I'd ask ya'll before, gulp, taking it to the dealer. It's under an extended warranty and I don't want to be messing with any more than I already have. I did add the kick starter a year or so ago but I wouldn't think it's the kick starter gears or I'd hear this noise in other gears wouldn't I?

Reactions: Ken

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
My bike whines when I've had too many donuts and it wants me to get off... :D

***hope its nothing major Kris***

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
Record us some whining on a diagnostic video so we can listen and give bad advice? Just the bike, not you complaining when Lori asks you to take out the trash.

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the oil and make sure its not the tires whining as you go faster.
Have changed both tires at different times and it makes this sound. Only happens when I shift to 5th.

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Record us some whining on a diagnostic video so we can listen and give bad advice? Just the bike, not you complaining when Lori asks you to take out the trash.
I can pick it out of some of my past video's but it would be too hard for ya'll to hear it. Near future, I'll position the camera down near the engine so it's a little easier to here. Hopefully wind and normal engine sounds to mask the whine.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Which of these does it sound like? :D

·
Super Moderator
5,325 Posts
Seriously though - it's gonna be a bearing - but it may not be coming from the gearbox

Ride it around some more until it blows up, then you should be able to tell where it was coming from .....

:D

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seriously though - it's gonna be a bearing - but it may not be coming from the gearbox

Ride it around some more until it blows up, then you should be able to tell where it was coming from .....

:D
Was thinking along those lines but it is 5th gear related or at least showing itself in that gear only. Hard to be without it when I take it to the dealership for the warranty work. I'd better get busy at rebuilding #1 TW which has been out of commission for a year or so. ...and is missing some parts like a taillight for instance. Oops, Moab damage.

·
Registered
20,505 Posts
Thanks Kris, this confirms issue is fifth gear related as you sated earlier. That should eliminate a lot of speculation. Louder, or only noticeable under heavy throttle application? i.e. whining decreases if you roll off the throttle?

Reactions: admiral and Ken

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes decreases when you roll off the throttle.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Mine is doing the exact same thing in 6th. same speed in fifth and its not there. cant be a bearing cause it would do it in all gears. im also getting more metal particulate in the 1000 mile oil changes. Ive started working on the 250 build on the spare motor in anticipation of a tear down on this motor.

Reactions: ejfranz and admiral

·
Registered
552 Posts
Funny that this question was brought up today, as I was riding my TW and also noticed a whine when in 5th, but only when at about 55+ indicated MPH, and the whine increased in pitch and volume as speed increased. I was not sure if it was normal or not, as I usually don't ride my TW at those speeds for long, but did two 25 min trips today.

Admiral, sorry for adding another question with no help at solving yours.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Yeah I think it is a load related issue. Have you been eating more donuts lately?:eek: I some times hear some whining from my wife's TW when she gets hungry.

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
There was a member on the old forum (I think it was the old forum) that lost 5fth gear -- i.e. it wore out and became another neutral. The guy used the bike for commuting so it was a hardship. Lzrdbrth stepped up and helped the guy out.

Maybe the gears weren't hardened correctly? Just a thought.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Just a thought but check the skid plate. In 5th gear you could have a vibration that is different than in other gears. What sounds like the transmission could be as simple as a harmonic vibration playing tricks on you.

GaryL

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just a thought but check the skid plate. In 5th gear you could have a vibration that is different than in other gears. What sounds like the transmission could be as simple as a harmonic vibration playing tricks on you.

GaryL

I'm wishing for it to be just harmonics. Mrs. Admiral's now has the same skidplate on it. I'll go ride her TW to make sure it's not making the same noise.

It is under warranty for a few more years so I'm not out anything if it breaks down out in the sticks except a long walk and possible death by exposure. If I have too I can use my other motorcycle err I mean my son's KTM if my breaks down.:p

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Seems like a couple of you may have a similar sound. So I'm not completely alone.

I change the oil very frequently and nothing unusual has been caught in the filter or drain screen but if it's something which is grinding very fine I'd need a magnet like AGman suggests.

Hopefully, I don't have a 2nd 5th gear neutral situation before I can find a solution.

I'll update this thread if I find anything or ...?

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I'm wishing for it to be just harmonics. Mrs. Admiral's now has the same skidplate on it. I'll go ride her TW to make sure it's not making the same noise.

It is under warranty for a few more years so I'm not out anything if it breaks down out in the sticks except a long walk and possible death by exposure. If I have too I can use my other motorcycle err I mean my son's KTM if my breaks down.:p
Every skid plate could have a different harmonic vibration or noise. Just because the Mrs. TW sounds right means nothing on yours as far as skid plates go. I will suggest you stuff some foam or rubber in the most likely spots between the frame, engine and plate to see if that deadens the whine. Just don't get it too hot that it melts what ever you stuff in there. One of my TW buddies has an aluminum skid on his and it sounds horrible at speed. We removed the skid and went for a very typical TW sounding ride. I forget where but he used rubber bushings at a couple mounting points and cured most of it. The aluminum will always reflect some engine noise up as compared to the stock and useless skid.

GaryL

1 - 20 of 48 Posts