·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts
Nope.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I trapped my wife.

She'll tell you otherwise, (she trapped me)

I trapped raccoon, musk rat, coyote, beaver, (not to be confused with wife mentioned above), and a few minks, martins, and marmots. Wish I had a couple of the hides now. Looking to get a good beaver cape. Lately I got a few nuisance permits but the hides were spring summer, Not the best, summer.

Young mans hobby. Lot of work.

·
Super Moderator
18,142 Posts

·
Registered
20,489 Posts
Travis is a responsible trapper I'm sure, and it is a necessity for maintaing irrigation district systems so no complaints from me.
As long as one lays out the sets responsibly, runs one's trapline frequently to release unwanted by-catch like pet dogs, has all traps with appropriate I.D.s engraved and conforms with all applicable laws it is should be acceptable.
Occasionally irresponsible stuff happens, like any other activity the individuals can give it a good, or bad name. I had problems one year with a trapper who laid out a trapline and seemingly never came back. He did it on the California side of the border too where all trapping is now illegal. Caught a cougar hunter's dog in a jaw trap for a week while we had 6 feet of snow (that was an interesting rescue using tracking collar after the storm) found 4 beaver sets in the creek next spring, and Betty Boop's foot peg and my booted foot got painfully snagged in his bobcat snare set accross one of my trails. Kind of put me off permitting trapping anywhere near any built up area.
Personally I like seeing the occasional beaver, mink, bobcat and martin running around wild more than as trim on a women's coat.
I don't see the old timer cougar hunter anymore. For several years his exhausted dogs would come out of the hills and show up at my place, always coming from the California direction where mountain lion hunting is illegal. I'ld feed and water his hounds then call him to come pick them up. Occasionally he'll come hiking out and show off a puma pelt he always claimed he took on the Nevada side. I never reported him figuring my family and pets were a little safer, it was an ethical compromise.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
and Betty Boop's foot peg and my booted foot snagged in his bobcat snare on one of my trails. Kind of put me off QUOTE]

I think early spring is TW season here in Rhode Island. :D

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
No idea what different pelts go for nowadays, in my youth I used to trap gray fox. I would just skin them then call a guy who would stretch and tan them. He would give me $35 for a hide. Good money for a teenager. So no I have no issue with responsible trapping. I wish raccoon was worth the effort since we are sick with them here.

Tom

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
No, I'm a licensed trapper here in NJ. Red Fox mostly. Been on hiatus for a year, skipped last season. Even if I don't get out I pay the licence fees to support the sport.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
There are a lot of unfortunate events. I saw a juvenile Bald Eagle in a tree with a #6 coil spring leg hold on it's left foot. Flushed it and followed it and ultimately chased it down to the Lake Michigan shore line. It was whipped, starved hungry and tired. There were a few dead salmon on the beach and it was munching down, I knew I couldn't get near it so I just sat there and watched it get it's fill. I'm sure it ended up dead eventually.

There are a lot of other unfortunate events, like developments that destroy habitat, that just don't get the same bad publicity. Much more destructive because nothing that inhabited that area will ever have a chance to survive there again. I remember discussing with some PITA pukes about trapping. Asked them if where they lived did they live trap and relocate all the mice, vols, worms and insects from where there house was built. Did they know that their leather shoes and belt come from a dead cow who gave up it's life so they could hold their pants up, so they could wear Gucci's, ....

Man is a predator. We could strip naked and go out into the wild and we would still kill animals and eat them, make clothes out of them. Nothing like a fine beaver trim fir hood rough to keep the cold off your head and neck.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
YES! I see trapping as a necessary evil and as I grow older I have no real desire to kill any animal but I do like to eat and I do like to have my space around me without the intrusion of the critters. I kill skunks, porcupines, squirrels, coyotes all the time but usually say a quick prayer over them. I don't have any issue with the sport of trapping and certainly no issue with anyone who traps for a living but it is not something I would want to do.

This topic of "Is it humane?" is one I avoid even thinking about but one thing that does really tick me off is when I go fishing. The regulations say if a trout is under size I have to immediately release it. Even when the hook was too deep and the fish will surely die I still have to waste it's life and just toss it back to die. I can kill a deer and eat it or just leave them alone so I get to kill them with my car and then pay to repair the damage they do. I don't see many rabbits here but 2 years ago I spent $60 and a whole day planting vegetables in my garden only to find the next day that a rabbit got in and ate every plant. They love broccoli.

Do your job Flathats and don't feel any guilt for doing it but the animals are of course Gods creatures so say a little prayer and carry on.

GaryL

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Years ago I was trout fishing along a stream when a lady came walking down from her home to talk to me. I thought for sure she was going to run me off but she just wanted to know if I knew anyone that could trap the beavers that were chewing up her trees. She had an expensive beautiful home and a few of her trees were chewed up. I alway wondered how she felt about trapping before it became a problem.
Not knowing any trappers at the time I did explain to her the type of traps that were used. She appeared to be a little on the ritzy side but she had no problem having them eradicated.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Years ago I was trout fishing along a stream when a lady came walking down from her home to talk to me. I thought for sure she was going to run me off but she just wanted to know if I knew anyone that could trap the beavers that were chewing up her trees. She had an expensive beautiful home and a few of her trees were chewed up. I alway wondered how she felt about trapping before it became a problem.
Not knowing any trappers at the time I did explain to her the type of traps that were used. She appeared to be a little on the ritzy side but she had no problem having them eradicated.
That sounds like the beginning story of the liberal left Ritzy type. Totally against trapping and hunting until the Beavers and Deer flood your property, chew your trees or invade their space. Most of them love Muslims, X Cons and most minorities as long as they don't move in next door.

GaryL

·
Registered
425 Posts
That sounds like the beginning story of the liberal left Ritzy type. Totally against trapping and hunting until the Beavers and Deer flood your property, chew your trees or invade their space. Most of them love Muslims, X Cons and most minorities as long as they don't move in next door.

GaryL
I don't remember where I heard this quote but it goes something like, "My hypocrisy knows no bounds."
I have lived so long in the gray area (as in I live a good life, but I walk among the demons of this world) that I tend to see both sides before making a decision about things except basic human liberty. I hunt, I do it because I believe it is the best source of meat for me and mine. When I got a buck this year I did not feel guilt, but I have mounted a rack on the wall as it feels disrespectful. Next year I will try to make buckskin so as not to waste any part of the animal. I saw a great meme:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiPvuHE2PDMAhUSHlIKHcXsBZ0QjRwIBw&url=https://twitter.com/benjibacker/status/310616829678739456&psig=AFQjCNGNrj0qD4Jx-Ix4uK_IKSqzt3TfhQ&ust=1464109897848593

1 - 20 of 32 Posts