TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there has been talk about tread trimming, the stock rear tire, using a KnobbyKnife or other Hot Knife. Has anyone tried it? I am looking for some real world comments, before I spend the $$ for the Knife, then the $$$ to replace the tire I mess up.

I just orderd a GP-1 for the front. Now I need a bit more from the back, for the fast approaching mud riding season. Its not that I "plan" on going there, its just where my t-dub likes to take me.

Thanks,

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Ronnydog has done quite a bit of knifing on aftermarket front tires and his ATV rear tires, but IIRC he didn't find much value to it with the stock knobby. Maybe he'll chime in later. I think he has some insight on a reasonably priced groover that works pretty well, too.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I know there has been talk about tread trimming, the stock rear tire, using a KnobbyKnife or other Hot Knife. Has anyone tried it? I am looking for some real world comments, before I spend the $$ for the Knife, then the $$$ to replace the tire I mess up.

I just orderd a GP-1 for the front. Now I need a bit more from the back, for the fast approaching mud riding season. Its not that I "plan" on going there, its just where my t-dub likes to take me.

Thanks,

My computer is down but this is the idea. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzz3r2zZbwA You san get them on ebay for $60.00. I grooved up my Bighorn 26/9/14 and my Maxxis front.

Ronydog

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
very cool, has any one trimmed the stock rear ? if so what pattern did you try, and how did it work out ?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Since the back tire doesn't have a lot of shortcomings to begin with on the pavement, I can only assume the real gain here to be off-road use. On-road, I'd guess cutting the tread will only contribute to faster wear. Does this seem legitimate? I'm familiar with cutting bigger 4x4 tires, but doing it on a knobby isn't something I've ever seriously thought about.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exactly what I would love the result to be, a working 60/40 tire. We cant buy a Kenda big block, Shinko 244, or IRC GP-1 for the rear of the mighty T-Dub. Airing down helps, but you have to agree, in sand or mud the stock falls a bit short. I would gladly give up a few street miles, to get a bit more capable off road tire.

I intend to order a Knobby Knife this week. My initial thought is to trim (widen) the space between the center lugs a bit so the result will open up the current 1/4 inch gap to be more in line with the adjacent lug , about 3/8 inch. I am not sure if I should do each one, or some other pattern like every other or every third.

I don't know a good way to collect real data, of the differences, or if i just need to ride it for a week or so and give a seat of the pants opinion.

I am not expecting to duplicate what the ATV tire provides. But I have been in situations where I have ran out of tire, long before I ran out of motor, or even skill ( I am not as agressive as many on this forum).

I am open to any ideas based on fact or theroy, please chime in!!!

Thanks, for any and all input

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Ronnydog's having puter issues. I'll post this and he can fill in the blanks later.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I've never used a knobby knife but I suspect a tire groover might be more consistent for this type of cut

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have the pics in photo bucket, but the posting failed for the file type img

what do i need to do ?

thanks

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Nice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks b-dub, what you have is the "after trimming" picture

i have 3 more pictures

1. the stock

2. taking about 1/8 off the "flat"

3. taking about 1/16 off the angle.

if you can let me know how, i will post them.

i did every tread in the center of the tire. it was very easy to do, and only took about 25 min.

it dosent appear to be any louder on the street, and because i only did the center, it did not impact the cornering on the pavement. ( not sure about straight line breaking, i never took measurements with the stock)

in the dirt it appeard to hook up better, and in the little bit of mud i found 3 to 4 inches, it was MUCH better!!!

the rear did not load up, just spin, and wag about like it use to do, it tracked much better, and was able to follow the front where i pointed it.

i did not look for deeper mud, as it was 38 degrees, and i did not wish to fall, and ride home wet... i know,, i know

so far i am glad i gave it a shot, along with the IRC GP-1, my TW inspires much more confidence now, as you dont turn it, and wait to see what correction you need while the tires try to hook up. Both ends go where you want them to, when you expect them to !!!!

when it warms up one of these days i will try to get a better report. and i will look for some sand to report back any noticed differences.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I found this homemade job on YouTube while I was looking into the knobby knife. If you already had an iron with enough wattage it seems to work ok and you could cobble up the attachment fairly easily. I thinkI'd narrow the blade a bit for bike work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDZQGqSWLBg

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,919 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for everyones help and interest in this post.

I know from the pictures, it dosent seam like much change, but you really can tell the difference.

I want to ride it a few more miles, before taking the next 1/8 from the flat. I believe that will not require the "angle" to be trimmed again. My tire is 8 years old, so i dont feel bad cutting in to it.

The IRC GP-1 on the front is very impressive, and now the rear, seams more capable, of tracking behind it not "searching" for grip as long as it did on side sloping gravel/dirt, or in the mud.

Again, I am not trying for the off road bite of an ATV conversion, but with so few DOT options available, I just want to see if we can make this a useful option for many of us Trail Riders.

If anyone else gives this project a shot, please add your updates here.

with the patterens you came up with and any riding comments.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts