TW200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We received just 10 inches of wet snow. Broke all our trees falling most of them. Haven't experienced a snow like this since 1968. Took us two days to clear our drive way. I guesstimate months of labor clearing the damage on just our three acres. On the bright side we've got years of firewood. These oak trees start their lives as single trunk trees. When they burn up, a natural environmental occurrence, they grow back as multi trunk trees. If they fail to burn up a second time then they grow so large they will split at their base and fall down. These oaks are eveorgreens and are not snow friendly. No TW's were injured during this tragic occurrence. In fact, the trees missed our house, the boat house, the truck camper and both automobiles and both donkeys. We did experience a lot of wire fence damage which I will consider insignificant all things considered. Northern California has not been a safe place to live in the past few months. Our power had been off for a week because of down trees breaking power lines. Still some neighbors without power and water.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
When should Angel and I head over with our truck to load up on free firewood?...:p.

·
Registered
19,419 Posts
Terrible news Dan. I sure hope the mules are OK. How's Sue by the way? ;)

·
Registered
19,419 Posts
Should I come visit with a chipper and chain saw? Dealing with the brushy stuff can be a big time consumer.

·
Registered
805 Posts
We had a similar situation at our place. When the snow fell, so quiet. Got up in the morning, stood out back with a cup of coffee as I watched the snow stop and the air warm just slightly. Then a sound of a rifle crack! Another... and another! Limbs snapping and with loud report. These are oak trees and when a limb goes, it's quite loud.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Sue and I have been burning the debris. We've been busy making some "Moab Money". We average one condensed trailer load of debris approximately every 90 minutes. We bring it to our place and it burns by the time we get back with another load. We place the limbs into the trailer and slice the debris with the chainsaw, condensing the limbs. L o n g lines at the landfills. Dirts a Flyen SanDue :rolleyes::D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts