TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always thought they were coolest things. But they seam to be way more popular across the pond than here in the states. Question being, how does one come across one of these toys? I've never actually seen one in a bike shop as far as I can reckon.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Keep looking, they pop up now and then on CL. I had a Montesa Cota 315 for a few years, it was alot of fun and I'll probably look for another one some day. They're a great way to hone your off road skills.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
This guy is about 5 miles from me, in the next town. LINK

I'm in Groton, NY. Not sure how far that is from you.

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
Even here (across the pond) not many main dealers will stock them as they are usually not road legal (no lights etc)

But if you find the “right” dealer, he’ll have 50% road bikes and 50% trails

With bikes like the Yamaha “Tricker” now coming onto the market, that’s all changing (except the “Tricker” couldn’t trick its way out of a paper bag) — nice looking bike that’s more of a fashion statement than anything.

Yamaha Tricker 250 (2005) review - Naked - Motorcycles - Visordown

But times are catching up with the internet and Ebay — nowadays if you want something like a old Bultaco 350 you only need to wait for the right one to come up ……..

bultaco350sherpa1977.jpg

·
Registered
357 Posts
i've always liked the tricker, and like the UK, we get a few jap market used examples.
but it's really heavy compared to trials bike.
the concept tricker was sweet....

but the production bike was pretty watered down and heavy....

if i was going to get one (and i stilll might), i would buy a real trials bike, and hit the skate parks!

ken

·
Registered
928 Posts
Is it possible to ride a TW200 like a trial bike? Does it have the torque to power over things, or is the 200hp motor just too weak?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I've had a couple trials bikes. A Yamaha TY250 from 72, and a SWM320 from 81. In the day, the Yamaha was very good, then I liked the SWM. After that the monoshock took over. Our TW's are great trail bikes. Trials,,,,,,not so much. Too heavy, not enough power, too high geared, etc. I never was a good trials rider, but loved to go out and play. I taught my daughter how to ride on a Yamaha TY80. Lots of good memories for both of us. There is a Fantic trials bike on craigslist in Tucson I think. Not very expensive. Look for a trials club in your area. We even have one here in Wichita, KS. Ark Valley Trials Assoc. You'll meet some very competitive people riding trials.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Trials bikes are a lot of fun, but the newer ones have really small gas tanks. Many manufactures offer a long ride kit which adds a seat and larger gas tank.
I have owned a 78 TY 250, 74 TY250, 82 Beta TR32 (260) and a 97 Scorpa Easy (290).
The TW crawls over stuff like a trials bike, but is a lot heavier.
If you can find a Honda TL250 in good shape buy it, they are street legal. It will be nothing like the modern trials bikes, but will give you a feel for the sport.

·
Super Moderator
4,882 Posts
Is it possible to ride a TW200 like a trial bike? Does it have the torque to power over things, or is the 200hp motor just too weak?
It’s a bit like comparing a hawk – with a duck

Mind you – ducks can go a lot of places hawks can’t …………..

·
Registered
745 Posts
Sure, it's possible. Not as easily as a dedicated trials bike, but the 200cc engine has enough low end grunt to do the job. I would remove as much weight as possible and put on the biggest rear sprocket I could find.

There is at least one channel on Youtube dedicated to trials riding techniques, setting up your bike, etc. Here's a good one:

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I almost never bluntly disagree. But, yes it's impossible. Modern trials bikes are incredibly light. They have a torque curve you can only imagine unless you've ridden one. Mine is a 250 and it literally will leap in the air.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I almost never bluntly disagree. But, yes it's impossible. Modern trials bikes are incredibly light. They have a torque curve you can only imagine unless you've ridden one. Mine is a 250 and it literally will leap in the air.
I'm not talking about trials competition, and I'm pretty sure LuvNot isn't talking about entering her TW in a trials competition either. But trials riding techniques can be applied to the TW and just about any other trail or enduro bike.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts