TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm realizing that it's only a few month before the ticks wake from their hibernation and I wondered...maybe my fellow TDubbers have some trick for ticks I haven't thought of.

I noticed here that when the temperature gets higher then >25c/77f for a week or two they're done for the year for the most part. Maybe they'll have a small come back in the fall but not nearly as many. The seem to frequent deer and rabbit populated areas mainly. However....I could spend a day in thick brush way out in the middle of nowhere and come home to find my neighbor picking up more off his unkept lawn. I hope this year our chickens will take a bite out of their local population.

So far I've realized that they jump for your head and any pony tails, scarfs, or unbound hair can catch them if they jump too late. Also they seems to be drawn to browns, blacks, and neutral colors. Other colors may not get their attention or maybe that's just a coincidence. Even if you stay on the more open logging roads they can really sail off the trees at you like paratroopers.

Otherwise I try to cover up. Tuck pant legs into socks. Light colored clothing makes them easier to spot.

Also ...

You may think that the faster riders get more chicks. :cool:But in the sticks, they just get ticks.:eek: So kick back and let your friends catch them first.:p

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the response...I think I'd rather take my chances with the ticks then the deet myself.

They typically take a while to dig in so you usually have a few hours to get them before they get in deep. I've woken up in the middle of the night and just had some intuition where the little bugger was and grabbed it in a second and off to the washroom to get rid of it. I get several dozen on me a year and maybe one or two leaves a red bump behind. Always clean any area they start to dig into to avoid infection or you could have a bump for 6 months. It takes 48 hours to transmit lyme disease so I'm more concerned about transmitting them to pets and seniors.

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
There are about a dozen tick species in North America, some more aggressive than others and also with differing pathogens. Here are some of the more common ticks and diseases they may carry: Tick-and-infections-chart.png
Is more than one tick considered poly-tics, and thus perhaps the blood sucking origins of the term politics?

Some folks recogmend Permithrin spray for their clothing and DEET for the skin. I try to avoid poisons though. Feeling them crawl looking for a bite site usually alerts me and I can remove prior to getting sucked.

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
I hate all blood suckers and parasites in general. Minimizing risk of them and other poisonous plants, snakes and insects was part of the my decision for where to live.
If you really want to get grossed out it is hard to beat what is known in english by bot fly among other regional names. Ask any Members from a tropical climate and they will likely know. Let's just say they "grow in the host's flesh" and leave it at that. Ticks and leeches are sweet kittens by comparison.
Still curious? Want to get grossed out more, loose sleep tonight? Imagine battling a protesting wiggling grub as you try to extrude it from deep under the skin where it has been burrowing away leaving a trail like a mole. Now imagine a lot more than one. Give me a tick any day.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I hate all blood suckers and parasites in general. Minimizing risk of them and other poisonous plants, snakes and insects was part of the my decision for where to live.
If you really want to get grossed out it is hard to beat what is known in english by bot fly among other regional names. Ask any Members from a tropical climate and they will likely know. Let's just say they "grow in the host's flesh" and leave it at that. Ticks and leeches are sweet kittens by comparison.
Still curious? Want to get grossed out more, loose sleep tonight? Imagine battling a protesting wiggling grub as you try to extrude it from deep under the skin where it has been burrowing away leaving a trail like a mole. Now imagine a lot more than one. Give me a tick any day.
Maybe this is a joke or funny story: Just put bacon over it. Everything loves bacon, maybe it'll crawl out into a new condo.

·
Registered
158 Posts
dam ticks....just makeing a big push north had like 10 on me last year, thats more than the last ten years...at least in the us u have docs that know how to scan for lime diese ... in .ca they just startin to fiquer it out......bigest thing is not to grab them with twzers on make them puke in your blood stream....

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
Don't look!
You were warned!
Last chance to look away:eek:
Remember, they are alive, more than a centimeters long , fight you and they do not give up easliy. Did I forget to mention infections?
. Botflies-maggot-monster-living-inside-the-body-945x676.jpg
Capture-3.png

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Don't look!
You were warned!
Last chance to look away:eek:
Remember, they are alive, more than a centimeters long , fight you and they do not give up easliy. Did I forget to mention infections?
. View attachment 162369
View attachment 162377

A buddy of mine came home from south America with a couple of those burrowing in his chest.

·
Registered
19,597 Posts
A brunette friend down there had one surgically removed from her scalp and the hair grew back white over the scar. I got to help remove a few of them from my fiancé's dog's head as well as from a stray boxer that just showed up starving. You do what you got to do to but still... Truly gross parasite, they are like burrowing pine bark beetles only they like flesh.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use Sawyer Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent.
Don't put it on your skin! Read the directions! Cover your mouth and hands when you apply it to your gear, this stuff works great.

One good spray lasts a long time (let your cloths sit over night outside or in the barn) I use it on my gloves, hat, jacket, pants, boots. I've seen ticks jump on me then off.
I don't wash my stuff much so It can last a few months. Also great for hunting gear.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/sawyer-permethrin-clothing-insect-repellent-16sawuprmthrn24zsodr/16sawuprmthrn24zsodr

1 - 20 of 21 Posts