TW200 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to vent, that's all.

I drove all the freakin' way up to Portland, in Memorial Day traffic, to look at a bike. A 2000 XT225 with 2600 miles on it. Asking price was $1600, which, at least based on book value, is quite high. High book is $900. 'Course I didn't expect to get it for that.

Got there, it was decently clean, but the front fender was thrashed and it had some rust on the handlebars. It also didn't run quite right. Maybe the carb was dirty, or maybe it was almost out of gas. But the seller wouldn't budge from his $1600 asking price. I had actually hoped to get it for $1200, but even offered him $1400 and he wouldn't take it. He claimed he'd had "eight to ten" calls on it so far and I was the first. Yeah sure he did. He said he'd let me know "tomorrow" on the $1400 offer; I said it was good tonight only because I wasn't driving all the way back up there.

Part of it is I really didn't like the guy. He was a bit too much of a hard-ass. It's personalities like that that make me unwilling to deal much with them. The whole, "I'm sure it's worth $X so there," is a big turn-off. Older dude (mid-late 50's), shorter even than me, stocky, kinda like an older Barney Rubble without the personality.

I almost wish I'd offered him $1500, but like I said, liking the seller has a lot to do with it. And I didn't.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Dunno kno.

She says things happen for a reason.

Dude sold a xt600 out from under me. "Word".?!?

Twas how I reassessed and wound up with a TW.

It stinks. But you still have your pocketroll.

;)

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Funny coincidence. I contact a guy on CL who has a nice looking leather M/C jacket, zip out linings both mesh and thinsulate for 89 dollars. He says, he'll meet me to show, then the thing that pi&&ed me off, "Be sure to bring cash in hand, and firm on price." Yeah, I know, he doesn't know me from Adam, but JEEZ! I guess I need to realize I'm not dealing with someone from this awesome forum and "shut off" my "get offended" button.

Tom

·
Registered
8,352 Posts
Personalities do make some differences in buying and selling but from the sellers perspective he may not have liked you much either! Having bought and sold quite a few MCs over my years I suppose I could be considered a hardass. I know what I have in the bikes I sell and I also know what the bottom dollar price I am willing to sell them for. The key for me is that I don't need to sell any bike so I can make a car or truck payment so I will hold my place and send lowballers packing. I don't honestly care if the prospective buyer leaves thinking I was a hardass.

Many of us here are always looking for those great deals, me included. As long as the price is in line with the going rates for your area and the bike meets or exceeds your requirements then the price is up to the seller and buyer. I search for the Garage Queens with super low miles and in showroom condition and usually buy in the off season so I can get the deals and make a few bucks. Right now it is rare that I would buy but very sure the time to sell.

GaryL

·
Registered
13,401 Posts
Bought our horse trailer from an asshole. Yes, I said asshole! One of the most rudest people I've ever met. If this horse trailer wasn't exactly what we needed, we would have walked. I try to see the good in people and I did in him. Good riddance!

Enjoying the trailer though!:p

·
Registered
913 Posts
I feel your pain. However, just asking about his price flexibility ("Gee, I see high-book is $900.00. Why is your's worth $1600?") on the phone before the drive would have told you a lot. Jus'sayin'.

·
Registered
8,352 Posts
To me the listed book value is completely meaningless! I don't have a clue what the book value of a 2006 TW is but I have one in my garage that has 73 original miles and is in absolute showroom condition. I will sell it for the price I put on it or it will stay in my garage until I do. What means the most when buying a TW is condition and miles and I don't give a hoot what the book says. Let me know exactly what has changed between a 2014 and a 2006 TW beside the color combo? I also have a 2006 XT225 with 94 original miles in the same condition and they won't be sold to any low ballers.

GaryL

·
Registered
42 Posts
Wow. This may be a poor way to introduce myself to this forum .
But as I just got home with my most recent acquisition last night... The worlds ugliest 1987 TW 200 . ( I was looking for a project and sure found one)
00P0P_almKNv5rBXv_600x450.jpg
I struck the deal , long distance , and drove 100 miles to get the bike.... Kid was great.....
I'v been in the MC business for 35 years... Have rarely found the bike I needed around the corner.
In the case of the PO he had to travel 60 miles + or - ........
I checked Craigslist Portland / and Seattle , out of 4 or 5 bikes ( XT 225's ) The one he went after was the lowest priced bike advertised.
That should give you a clue of the market for sed bike... Blue book values are nothing more than a sales tool for dealers . They do not reflect market value....
Nothing offends me more than a buyer trying to low ball me using the BLUE BOOK........
Sounds to me like Barney research'd the market in Portland and set his price at the low end of the scale....
If I was the PO and was hot to find a 225 before the riding season really kicks in to gear I'd call Barney and offer what he's asking .... JMHO

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Along with the TW, I have an XT225. The 225 is a very popular bike, and I am inclined to say 'far more motorcycle' than the TW. I was lucky, I found a 98 with 5000 miles on it for $1500. I was there in a flash with the sellers asking price. Seems, more so than the TW, used XT's can have carb issues that need to be addressed. Like our TW, they seem to be very lean and throw in a little dirt and they can take forever to warm up, and still stumble with a quick twist of the throttle. When you look at one, feel the engine or exhaust to see if it has been running recently. No need to make a big deal of this. Should it be warm, keep the hassle of long warm-ups in mind. Then again, perhaps someone else just finished a test ride.

For me, I start to see 'red' when a perspective buyer quotes me what Kelly or Edmonds 'suggests' I sell my vehicles for. As an adult, I know what I can afford, and I know what I would like to pay. I may have used a 'blue-book' to research my thinking. Personally, I see little merit in suggesting to a seller their price is unrealistic for any reason. I just thank them for showing me and go on my way. If everything is close to perfect for me as a buyer, but in my mind there is a slight imbalance between price and condition and my money is tight, I ask the seller if they would consider an offer. In my mind, offers need to be in the ball park. Maybe $90 for a tire that really needs to be replaced. In my mind, suggesting the price be dropped more than 10% can start to move towards insulting, even if you ask the seller if they would consider an offer.

This is just me. I am not intending to criticize RobG. Gerry

Many years ago, I went to look at a 64 econoline van. The rig looked ok, but I wanted to hear the engine. On these rigs, the engine is between the driver and passenger and the cover is easy to open. I asked if I could open it while we both were in the truck. The seller was hesitant due to 'safety issues' but conceded. About the time I got the lid propped-up the seller decided to show me how good the radio sounded...... I thanked him and walked away immediately..

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What kind of carburetor does the XT225 have? When I looked at that one yesterday, it looked a lot like the one on the TW, at least from the outside. I did see something someplace about people putting a pumper carb on it.

I was impressed with the size and feel of the bike. I like the TW, and it's definitely a go-anywhere bike, but wow it sure feels tiny to me, even my short 5'8 self. My KLX250S by comparison just felt waaaay too tall, even having lowered it.

FWIW I have no intention of selling the TW; I like that little bike. It's definitely a keeper.

I had been considering a DR200 as well, especially since it's like a miniature DR650, but with only a 5sp, I liked the XT better since it has a 6sp.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
i looked at a xt225 for my dad before finding his tw200.... the prices have swung around a lot over the last few years, mostly upward. i was looking at a 2001 with 1700 miles, it was pretty clean, a bit of rust here and there. dealer was asking $2900, after having it list for 6 months i went and saw it... offered him $2200 and he said no $2600. another 4 months later he finally must have sold it as it was removed from craigslist. seems like a lot of extra time having his money tied up over a couple hundred bucks.

found a cleaner and newer 2006 t-dub for 1/2 as much.

·
Registered
8,352 Posts
I have only ever run the XT225 a couple laps around my yard and never got past 3rd gear. Based solely on that quick run it was very clear the XT would open a can of Wuppass on any stock TW. Handling and suspension feels much better and the power is a lot more responsive. Skinny tires aside I sure do like the XT but if I was keeping it I would be on the XT forum trying to find the biggest, fattest tires that would fit. My local dealer has a new, left over 2013 XT225 and he wants $4950 for it plus tax and title fees. I have no idea if that is a good or bad price because I don't follow the XT like I do the TWs.

GaryL

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I have only ever run the XT225 a couple laps around my yard and never got past 3rd gear. Based solely on that quick run it was very clear the XT would open a can of Wuppass on any stock TW. Handling and suspension feels much better and the power is a lot more responsive. Skinny tires aside I sure do like the XT but if I was keeping it I would be on the XT forum trying to find the biggest, fattest tires that would fit. My local dealer has a new, left over 2013 XT225 and he wants $4950 for it plus tax and title fees. I have no idea if that is a good or bad price because I don't follow the XT like I do the TWs.

GaryL
I have only ever seen an xt250. I figured the xt225 was discontinued but I guess not.

Tom

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A friend used to have an XT250. He regretted buying it because he said there was no aftermarket for it; everything was for the 225. He sold it, eventually bought a DR650. Then somehow managed to highside the thing in gravel and broke his leg. Freaked out and sold it. Sigh.

BTW the dweeb with the local XT I wanted emailed me back today... "sold today for 16" was all it said. Good for him. Dick.

·
Registered
79 Posts
No offense but in Wisconsin that bike wouldn't last long at 1600 and that's probably what I would have asked for it too. If I go to look at something on Craigslist I'll take along enough cash for the full asking price and I usually don't haggle if it's everything the seller says it is. I never felt like it was the sellers problem if I had to drive a long way to look at something, the fact that I was willing to drive a ways to look at something usually means I couldn't find anything better or cheaper closer to home, and it was the best deal I could find. I don't go to Mc Donald's and offer them .75 for something they have on the dollar menu just because their stuff ain't that great, either I pay it or just eat somewhere else.. Just saying..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts