1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Very simplistic and basic diagram Paul. A decent starting point for sure but with handguns your thumbs will cause far more left and right issues than where your trigger finger is positioned. Again though very worthwhile starting point.

Tom

·
Banned
4,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember when I first shot a .44mag I was jerking big time anticipating the stick of dynamite about to go off in my hand.

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
It all depends on where you are comfortable. Don't listen to anyone when they tell you where to place your finger because that works for them.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
I remember when I first shot a .44mag I was jerking big time anticipating the stick of dynamite about to go off in my hand.
I hold mine no firmer than my SR22. I have a red dot on my blackhawk and although I can print some pretty impressive groups nobody else can hit the broad side of a barn with it!:) Almost everybody squeezes the poop out of it and that drastically changes the point of impact.

Meth,

Inexperienced shooters, much like inexperienced golfers, should in fact listen to the basics. There is a very specific relationship between where you place your trigger finger on the trigger and the geometry involved in moving your finger rearward to fire. Just saying that fundamentals are very important up until practice and repetition overcome them. Just like golf.

Tom

·
Registered
177 Posts
Always heard...a pistol is a good tool to fight your way to a rifle with! ....always like that one, keep one of each at least in the truck with me at all times.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
One of each is always good....as an Air Force cop back in yesteryear, we usually carried one of each...

.38 S&W Police Special and a M-16{Vietnam} or M-2{Stateside}.....38 for quick and close encounters, but let's face it, when in a protracted fire fight or something high powered for or at long range....you need a rifle ....

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Besides the basics of grip, stance, I feel the most important item to becoming proficient shooter is focus on the front site. That goes for rifles and pistols.

“Blessed are those who, in the face of death, think only about the front sight.”

Who said that?

Maybe because the rest is so ingrained, habit, it's really worth while to slow way down, look at your target, pick a spot, focus on the front site and put it on that spot. Keep the focus on the front site as you pull. Yes, I said pull. I squeeze oranges. I have a grip on the stocks and with just my index finger I pull the rigger.

That and dry fire practice, like in front of the TV, watching a hockey game, going first for players and then for the puck, has vastly improved my shooting.

·
Read Only
1,175 Posts
I hold mine no firmer than my SR22. I have a red dot on my blackhawk and although I can print some pretty impressive groups nobody else can hit the broad side of a barn with it!:) Almost everybody squeezes the poop out of it and that drastically changes the point of impact.

Meth,

Inexperienced shooters, much like inexperienced golfers, should in fact listen to the basics. There is a very specific relationship between where you place your trigger finger on the trigger and the geometry involved in moving your finger rearward to fire. Just saying that fundamentals are very important up until practice and repetition overcome them. Just like golf.

Tom
If shooting is like golf, does that mean i get better at it the more i drink?;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I shoot a LOT and I tend to push a handgun a smidge left and down, and I pull a rifle to the right and down when rapid firing.

I shot a CMP M1 Garand match this last Sunday and it showed up again.. The first relay is 20 rounds prone, slow fire and I shot 9's and 10's, with only two 8's.. The next relay was 10 rounds prone, rapid fire (plenty of time, with 10 rounds in 70 seconds with a reload) and I had one 10, two 9's, and seven 8's, all low and to the right.. Some day I'll learn..

342defcde375ce118779a20e9b47af6c.media_.400x402.png

or, my favorite..

Wheel Of Misfortune gif by Hawglegf44 | Photobucket
(didn't post actual photo because of a swear word, but it's funny..)

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Hoot always liked to carry two....just in case;)

Dover1968.jpg

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
^^^^actually behind door #17{and the rest} were Nukes....this was December 1968 at the Nuclear Storage "Mounds" in the outer boondocks of Dover AFB, Delaware{probably 50 or so Nukes stored in the mound area}........about 5 of us patrolled the tops of those mounds each night....we would sneak down 2 or 3 at a time to get out of the wind and cold.....leaving the other guys there to be look~outs, then switch back and forth through the night:D

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
What was the make of those M1 carbines. I would like to have one (or two) of those now.
46 years ago??? Come On' DA....I can't remember what I ate for breakfast....:eek:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts