TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by Fun Cycles in Lake Land,Florida this past weekend and fell in love with the Triumph Scrambler. As I know some of you here have or had the new style iron what do you think of them?

·
Registered
960 Posts
I have a 2013 Bonneville. I bought it in 2015 with 168 miles on it. It is a scrambler with 7/8 bars, normal exhaust, 7 inch headlight, and street tires. Bike is bulletproof with nickel-dime cost of ownership. I am not a fan of cruisers. Having a 30 inch inseam limits my choices on standards. The seat height is roughly 30 inches give or take. 865cc is a great displacement. What some people consider a con, I consider a pro.

The core of the bike is nothing but miles of smiles. Much of the oem stuff is rubbish/garbage. Your shocks are junk. Your seat is in need of greatdayforaride.com. (Call Spencer). Your mirrors are silly. Your taillight assembly is plastic junk. Your headlight is anemic. Get heated grips. Stiffen up the front forks. The faux carb tops are already rusted even if your bike is not built yet. Get a set of handlebar risers.

A Bonneville/Scrambler is a great bike to the extent the aftermarket lets you build a stupendous bike. Worth every dime.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I absolutely love them...but they are to heavy for me to handle....I actually considered buying one to just park it in my living room.....as a piece of art....

·
Registered
85 Posts
As the other commenters have said, you can't go wrong with a Triumph. I absolutely loved my '12 Bonneville and the 865cc parallel twin. I regret selling it but after a couple of close calls on it, I took a road riding hiatus. The TW200 got me back on the road...

T1.jpg

I would be all over a current Scrambler like white on rice. And not really my style but I have to admit the new Rocket's are pretty bad*$$!

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They also had a Thruxton TFC. I'd say one of the best looking bikes I've ever seen. I'm very glad I did not sit on it as the wife may have not liked the fact that our Jeep may have been the trade in.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Triumph, BSA or Norton. I loved all of them. I've had 4 Nortons and always wanted a Triumph. I really liked the yesteryear "Tiger" and "Trident". But, try and touch any one of those now, even in moderate condition, and it's BIG BUCKS!
Scott

·
Registered
366 Posts
When i was 15 I had a Honda S65 and my friend and riding partner had a Triumph 200 Mountain Cub. I loved that bike and dreamed of one day owning a bike that big! Our TW's are more or less a modern day interpretation of that bike.

·
Registered
20,493 Posts
Good looking bikes...even when broken down on the side of the road in middle of Nowhere, Nevada. (They are British after all). dead triumph 2.jpg

This poor fellow's pride and joy blew up some 2700 miles into his move from Connecticut to Oregon. When calling him a tow truck I confused the operator when telling her i didn't know name of nearest cross street but it would be about 23 miles to the east at outskirts of the nearest town. dead triumph.jpg

Of course I stopped to help...code of the west, and we motorcyclists are a superior breed after all.;)
So maybe the Triumph isn't the best for those 3,500 mile commutes.

Reactions: CJ7Pilot

·
Registered
234 Posts
They also had a Thruxton TFC. I'd say one of the best looking bikes I've ever seen. I'm very glad I did not sit on it as the wife may have not liked the fact that our Jeep may have been the trade in.
Now this is improbable but the honest to god truth....the kid next door has 6 motorcycles including a Thruxton and he is going to sell them all and buy a TW....no kidding...he has a TW owner on either side of him and several others in the neighborhood …… I hope he knows what he is doing as he is so young....he is a lawyer but he has only been on Medicare for a few years....

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Friend who has been a BMW and Ducati guy all his life bought a Thruxton (kinda looks like a Duc) about 2 years ago. Now he rides all the time and never has to work or fix a bike other than oil changes.

They have come a long way from the 60's & 70's versions that looked great but... sucked mechanically. I know, I owned a BSA.
The turn-the-key Japan imports were the final blow.
But these new Triumphs are far superior to their ancient brethren.

Reactions: Scooterbrained

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Stopped by Fun Cycles in Lake Land,Florida this past weekend and fell in love with the Triumph Scrambler. As I know some of you here have or had the new style iron what do you think of them?
X, you were only 15 miles from my house!
Could have stopped in, except for me being in NC for a few weeks.

You could have taken a test ride on one of those Triumphs. Fun Bike Center is very good about giving test rides.
I ride there every Saturday morning for free coffee and donuts.

As far as Triumph goes, I had an '06 T-100 Booneville that I rode to Arizona and back to FL.
Have also had a water cooled T-100, a T-120, and now have settled in on a Street Twin. I've put 10,000 trouble free miles on it this year.

I'll need to ride down and show it to you when the weather gets cooler in FL..

jb

Reactions: Xracer and Darth

·
Registered
160 Posts
My wife loves her Triumph, the low seat height and smooth power make it easy to ride.
The fit and finish are excellent but the rear shocks are cost cutting decorations. She was skipping over expansion bumps on the road and it was nuts the amount of time the rear wheel was In the air. Replaced the shocks with a set of Hagons (support speedway!) and now it handles more like a motorcycle.
This bike draws the most attention from admirers, both hooligans and harley riders enjoy this classic.
A4DD9BBF-E58F-4C39-86E6-46B86F02B375.jpeg

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've had 4.5 over the past 12 years. Still have my 06 thruxton, and now 16 speed triple as well.

OH and a 72 Daytona T100R that is sitting in my living room waiting a motor, trans, and refresh and spit shine.

I'll be selling the Speed Triple here in the next year or two for one of the new 1200 Scramblers so the better half and I have a more suitable 2-up bike and I can actually ride it out to easier trails and get back to better fishing spots

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The two up thing is what keeps me from pulling the trigger. I've got a Harley Ultra that's a great bike but it's so heavy. I want something lighter and better handling but if Roe's not happy on the back then it's a no go.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Good looking bikes...even when broken down on the side of the road in middle of Nowhere, Nevada. (They are British after all). View attachment 196220

This poor fellow's pride and joy blew up some 2700 miles into his move from Connecticut to Oregon. When calling him a tow truck I confused the operator when telling her i didn't know name of nearest cross street but it would be about 23 miles to the east at outskirts of the nearest town. View attachment 196222

Of course I stopped to help...code of the west, and we motorcyclists are a superior breed after all.;)
So maybe the Triumph isn't the best for those 3,500 mile commutes.
Guys I have a 2007 Truimph America and can honestly say I have never had any problems with her. Head light bulb popped ones and thats that.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am 55. My Triumph is nothing like the old BSA machines. BSA stands for "B*stard Stopped Again." The reason they drink warm beer in England is because they have Lucas refrigerators.
LUCAS stands for this:

Loose
Unconnected
Connections
And
Solders
Ah yes, the Prince of Darkness. All brit bikes back in the day had lucas junk.

I believe Mr. Lucas was quoted as saying once that they were meant to work that way as no self respecting gentleman would motor about after dark.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I am 55. My Triumph is nothing like the old BSA machines. BSA stands for "B*stard Stopped Again." The reason they drink warm beer in England is because they have Lucas refrigerators.
LUCAS stands for this:

Loose
Unconnected
Crimps
And
Solders
Yes, Lucas invented “Dim”.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts