TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SHTF prep: Just bought another truck load of Charmin. Probably be worth a fortune when the SHTF, especially after the pretty ones have spent a few months wiping with leaves and bark. Until then, it's great insulation in the attic.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Read somewhere a while back, that good quality shit paper is made out of recycled newspaper. Since no one reads the newspaper anymore its going to be in short supply. Maybe they can figure out how to make it out of all the money the fed's been printing the last several years.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It sure isn't getting any cheaper. I thought the same thing when everyone was hoarding bullets.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
A truck load.... holy smokes! I just use one square with a hole in the middle. makes a roll last longer. eeewwww maybe I shouldn't hit the post button. couldn't resist...

Reactions: Fred

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you ever had to put up with a woman who hasn't seen bathroom tissue in a week? If not, you've no idea ... .

·
Registered
462 Posts
Have you ever had to put up with a woman who hasn't seen bathroom tissue in a week? If not, you've no idea ... .
I chuckled a bit from that one :) Yeah, I could see this being a discomfort in a couple of different ways. I do live in a desert, so I'm aware of the potential lack of hygiene that can come stem from being not-so-well prepared.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
It appears that Charmin has a new best seller:

obama-toilet-paper-62.jpg

·
Registered
462 Posts
Ski pro - I thought of the exact thing today when I first responded :) ...could have made for some more great surprises from those walkers!

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
You are right... I have no idea... Just can't imagine, well maybe I can but I just don't want to. Must have been tewible.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Worse, imagine a little village of preppers with no feminine hygiene products. I learned more than a 3rd grader should know of the topic in Germany when the supply for the PX missed the weekly ship.

·
Registered
28 Posts
In college my economics professor talked about things that have value during extremely bad times. He said that he knew of a time and place where toothpaste and other sundries were worth more than gold. As for the TP, do you worry about it being flammable? Seems if your house caught fire the extra fast burning fuel would lessen your chances of saving much.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What makes you think packages of toilet paper would burn fast? Incorrect. Packages of paper smolder for a very long time due to minimal surface area exposed to oxygen. Burn rate is all about surface area. Even steel will burn with enough surface are. Take a zippo to 0000 steel wool.

We have other sundries, too, but not to the same extent. For instance, toothpaste never goes bad so I bought a case on sale. Probably well beyond a lifetime supply, and requires very little room to store right next to a box of toothbrushes. People should list every product they actually use. The length of the list will surprise most people. I buy canned goods by the case and rotate them. Canned goods will stay good for decades and no worry of insects and rodents getting into them like dehydrated foods, plus canned goods carry their own supply of water. What about winter clothes? How many people have all season clothes in their bug-out kit, because once you leave you may never come back? Prep is a little more complicated than most people think.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That's interesting. I wouldn't have thought. Now I'm itching to burn a package of TP and some steel wool. I love experiments.

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's interesting. I wouldn't have thought. Now I'm itching to burn a package of TP and some steel wool. I love experiments.
Excellent! Another lifelong learner! Beats the heck out of all the sheeples who haven't learned a thing since 7th grade.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
What makes you think packages of toilet paper would burn fast? Incorrect. Packages of paper smolder for a very long time due to minimal surface area exposed to oxygen. Burn rate is all about surface area. Even steel will burn with enough surface are. Take a zippo to 0000 steel wool.

We have other sundries, too, but not to the same extent. For instance, toothpaste never goes bad so I bought a case on sale. Probably well beyond a lifetime supply, and requires very little room to store right next to a box of toothbrushes. People should list every product they actually use. The length of the list will surprise most people. I buy canned goods by the case and rotate them. Canned goods will stay good for decades and no worry of insects and rodents getting into them like dehydrated foods, plus canned goods carry their own supply of water. What about winter clothes? How many people have all season clothes in their bug-out kit, because once you leave you may never come back? Prep is a little more complicated than most people think.
Qwerty you are talking about how one must live in the north... (or should anyway). The Alaska highway washed out one spring and the store shelves were bare very quickly. Your "bug-out" kit is SOP for daily life here. My old man used to say to me "never cross the street without a sleeping bag and a $100 in your pocket". One needs to be prepared...

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
When I was working in Alaska my vehicle had enough stuff in it to survive a winter. When neglecting to provide for one's own needs can quickly result in death, people tend to become independent and conservative.

Reactions: Mel

·
Registered
20,487 Posts
0000 steel wool makes a very good fire starter, can be ignited with simple 1.5 volt battery.

·
Registered
182 Posts
0000 steel wool makes a very good fire starter, can be ignited with simple 1.5 volt battery.
That's what I was trying to remember. I had tried that years ago, with 9v battery it was a real shocker!

·
Banned
10,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh, my, that's punny!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts