TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

TTR stuff for Tw's

32K views 55 replies 23 participants last post by  littletommy 
#1 ·
I picked up an '01 TTR225 today to use the top end and crank for a stroker.

Kind of a cheesy motorsickle, actually, even by TW standards. Or at least cheesy in different areas, better in some others. The TTR has a better airbox and general component layout than a TW, IMO. etc. But a dedicated offroand bike without a kickstarter? Not on my watch.

It does have some cool features and parts that can be used either to improve a TW or are identical items if you're in need of parts. Some are fairly common knowlege by now, others less so. As I part it out I'll make note of these as best I can. Some things like the carb and fuel tank probably have clearance issues on a TW, so I'll slap them on one of my frames to check.

XT225 models will share more parts with ours. If I ever get my hands on one I'll try to do another post.

I'll update by editing in this window, so if you're interested check back, as that method doesn't return the topic to the top.

What's hot:

Most folks know by now that the crank, barrel and piston and head can be swapped into a TW to produce a 225. Cylinder can be used alone on a TW to allow overbores with the TW crank up to 72mm, or the entire engine can be swapped into a TW but you'll still have to split the cases and install the TW transmission.

Stainless steel headpipe- direct swap. Here's one all cleaned up. I'll have to dull this one up a bit, cuz I'm The Antichrome:

Kickstand- 1 inch longer than TW. Direct swap

Master cylinder-identical to TW. Rubber plug in brake switch hole, but it's there.

Brake line- 3 inches longer

Clutch lever perch-identical to '01-up TW. Has rubber plugs in the mirror hole, uses same safety switch. Cable not the same as the TTR clutch arm operates from the left.

Remote cable-operated choke- operates by a knob at the bars. Standard Mikuni plunger, need to verify if it TK thread is the same.

Skidplate-pretty cheesy, but aluminum. Better coverage than a TW plate, but no tougher. Fits with the TW rear hook bolted onto it. Has a nice ventilated rubber cushion between it and the crankcase, not a bad plan for a TW.

Handlebars- Same as ours.

Fuel petcock- Fits our tanks. Has a big, chrome easy-grab knob that looks like it came off yer grandma's stove. Ronnydog has one on his XT txnk. I gotta measure the fuel reserve.

Shift lever- folding-tip style. Fits.

Rear sprocket guard-same

Rear brake arm- Fits. More leverage.

Snail adjusters- Same. In fact all Yamaha snails appear to be identical.

Foot pegs- Fit. Aprox. 1" longer, but same width.

Fuel tank- 2.8 gallons, if the factory is correct. Some people have done the oversized Clarke versions of this tank on a TW.

What ain't ( or in some cases could be, but with major alterations):

Rear shock: The TTR uses a linkage and therfore the spring is way too wimpy to run direct. The shock is 14.5" long, putting it in nosebleed territory in terms of ride height. HOWEVER it is fully adjustable and is the first shock I've encountered which will readily accept a stock-length TW spring without a spacer.

Left footpeg mounting bracket- With careful layout and redrilling it COULD be used to correct the rearward offset of the left peg, which drives me nuts on long rides. I end up with my heel parked on that peg and the middle of my foot on the other.

6 speed tranny- The TW ouput shaft can be machined to accept the gear stack. two of the gears are thinner requiring a custom spacer and a snap ring groove to be cut into the shaft. Fairly involved and not cheap, but doable.

See less See more
#4 ·
Brian, you know I owe ya one. Kickstand,no problem. The header's going on mine

For everyone else, I started this thread for informational purposes NOT to sell parts.

There will likely be plenty of stuff I'll part with once I've looked it over, but I'd rather disect the thing to see what fits and what doesn't in terms of use on a TW before I part with anything right now. Once I'm done, some of the parts will be fair game.

If you needed a master cylinder, for instance, and eBay had no TW master cylinders, wouldn't it be nice to know you could be safe bidding on a TTR master cylinder and not worry about it fitting? I'm gunna check all that out.

That's the point of this thread, and to see what TTR parts are upgrades for our bikes, or make mods easier.

#7 ·
Brian, you know I owe ya one. Kickstand,no problem. The header's going on mine

For everyone else, I started this thread for informational purposes NOT to sell parts.

Hey Russ,

Sorry I missed the point of your thread.

Thanks for thought, but you don't owe me. I just feel bad that you lost out on our other deal.

Just keep me in mind when you do get around to parting the TTR out. I've got a Blaster shock waiting to be installed and the extra length on the TTR kickstand will help level things out a little.

(I look forward to the new regime and your rule as the Sublime Benevolent Dictator!)

Brian

#9 ·
Don't remind her.

#11 ·
what?! 82nd bike? I thought he only has 13 which would make it 14th bike. I wonder where he is hiding all of the other bikes? Nah, I have already claimed a couple of the parts off the TTR for my bike anyway. Lucky for me since being Ms. Lizrdbrth, I get first dib on things

#13 ·
There goes my cable choke.

#15 ·
800 grit. If you take it to 1,600 or 2,000 it will shine like chrome.

Not as diffiicult as it sounds. Wrap the paper around the tubing and twirl it, or (faster) put it in a well padded vise and buff it like a pair of shoes, then procede with the next finer grit. Don't move on to the next grit until you have even sheen overall, and keep the jumps in grit size minimal. Don't try to jump from 600 to 1200, for example. Quit once you're happy. I really wanted more of a matte look, and should have quit at 600.

I've polished aluminum to show quality using this method as well. Follow up with a paste like Simichrome or Mothers on aluminum and it will blind you.

These days I'd rather have my butt kicked than maintain polished surfaces, particularly highly polished aluminum. Stainless tends to shed dirt and mud even better once polished, so I'll make a token effort at polishing it

IMO on a headpipe the more brilliant the overall polish the worse the inevitable pitting from gravel and road debris will stand out.

YMMV

#16 ·
Russ, I realize I'm talking an older ttr, but if you recall I had just purchased a plastic ttr 350 tank and a seat from the same bike when you were through here. While the front mounts are different on the tank, I'm sure it could be adapted to the tw (but only for a move from 1.8 gal to 2.6 (still that .8 or probably 60 miles you might not have to walk). The seat is alot like the xt350 seats (i.e. has steep and short horn), but might be fodder for a custom fit with a larger tank. So many funny parts and so little time. Ride on. Tom

#17 ·
Not much of an inducement since I only have one rack............ Looks like you are putting 'together' a real good (sticky) post. Hope VulDub is watching and ready to lock in place once complete. Thanks again Russ. Gerry

#18 ·
Frankly I didn't find that many parts other than the ones listed in my original post to be of much value. I pulled the motor, kickstand and a few other goodies and sold it today to a kid who taco'd the wheels and front end on his.

The only thing I left out was the larger Mikuni carb and matching boot which could be of some value for a way built 200. Otherwise it's pretty much overkill since the valves and ports are identical. The boot is just a funnel. Same valves, same ports, minor casting variations..

I plan to put a dial indicator and degree wheel on the cam to see if it somehow justifies the bigger carb, but I sorta gravity tested my dial indicator and that will have to wait.

I'm betting the Xt's will have a greater assortment of usable parts in terms of things like stators, regulators, CDI's, fairing, et al.

#19 ·
Any particular range of years for the ttr...I like that header pipe. I already have the polished power core pipe...but could use the header pipe to match.

#20 ·
Not sure, Brock. This bike was an '01 TTR225 and had it. Someone once said that all XT's had them, but I've seen quite a few with mild steel pipes.TTR230's all appear to be stainless in eBay pics. Some have also had to shorten theirs and inch or so to get them to mesh with the TW mufflers, so there could be minor variations. This particular year bolted right up, so if you can find one for an '01 I can safely say that it will fit and it will be stainless.

#21 ·
The stainless version does have the same shape (layout of the line) like the TW pipe.

-> 3RW-14611-00-00

--> TT225 1999

--> TTR225 1999-2004

--> XT225 1992-2007

-> 1C6-14611-00-00

--> TTR-230 2005-2009

--> TTR-230 2011

(A TTR-230 wasn't build in 2010)

The other mild steel pipes does have a "direct" straight line, but you will find this one just on older XT200 bikes.

#22 ·
Same header, headed for HER bike. Couple hours worth of elbow grease. If not for my grimy paw prints you could see how pritty the camera man is
. This is 1000 grit. Taken to 1500 then 2000 grit all the minute sctratches go away and it's show chrome shine. I'll prolly hit this one with some white rouge and call it good. Camera did goofy things with the sunlit parts but if you check the refections of my footprints in the downtube you can see what a bit of work will get ya.

#24 ·
She ain't bad.

For a girl.

#25 ·
I know you said the xt probably has more usable stator, cdi, etc stuff, but i 'll knock off with the secrets and let you in on something. You always know more than me so I will probably learn something anyway

Got an insanely good deal on "some ttr parts" on ebay, as in, $25 for cdi, harness, coil, stator, sidecover, some other junk.

Barring a few things that need working out with regards to physical size when it arrives, I'm goin g to have a go at adapting the coil from the stator and the cdi to my 91 tw. This is the result of the many many many many hours I have spent as of late learning about motorcycle ignitions.

Lizrdbrth I am quite sure you know all this but again, maybe I am wrong or someone can teach me something or help out.

89-97 tw200s have three "coils" under the engine sidecover. It does not appear to be a circular arrangement of many coils for lighting with an ignition coil in the circle like later tdubs and even the ttr125e. Just two copper coils inside flywheel withb pulser coil outside flywheel.

- "lighting coil" - a/c output to headlight, separate a/c output to rectifier to feed 12v dc to stuff

- "ignition coil" - lack a better term, here, but this coil sends approx. 100v a/c to the large capacitor inside the CDI

- pulser coil - field is interrupted by something on flywheel, sending signal to CDI to discharge capacitor.

The TTR125 (NOT the TTR125E w/ electric start) has only two coils under the sidecover, both built into bwhat they call the 'stator assembly' (it is called stator because it is stationary, rotor would be the flywheel that turns with crankshaft) these are the coil that charges the cdi capacitor, and the pulser coil that signals the cdi to discharge the capacitor.

The six empty poles on the ttr can be wound for use as a lighting circuit, but in my case I want to remove the existing ign. Coil and mount it in place of the one on my tw in case they produce different voltages (perhaps you can check for me regarding how many magnets are in a ttr flywheel and what the usable inside diameter is?)

Need to verify still that the flywheels are not radically different inside/outside diameters, and that the pulse coil triggering mechanism will work or what needs to be modified. From here I honestly believe it is smooth sailing.

Search google for honda c90 cdi conversion and behold the crazy brit that adapts them to everything. He is my inspiration and after looking at as many yamaha single cyl. Ignition systems as possible I believe the ttr125 will be a fine match for the tw200. This is of course yet to be determined but if it works and is easy it can save a lot of older bikes

#26 ·
Message from The Dept. of Redundancy Dept.

#27 ·
Now we're getting somewhere. I see where you're going with this and I like it.

I'd be happy to check into the TTR setup for you as far as the physical parts attached to the motor but any other related parts outside the engine case left here with the remains of the bike.

I have another suggestion which I think I mentioned on your thread. I'm no electronics guru but I do know that the existing TW trigger arrangement could be used to trigger another type of system such as the Honda without all the fuss and retaining the existing charging system. The circuitry to accomplish this is on sites such as the ones about the Honda conversions. Maybe someone could look into that approach as well, and maybe some modification of it could be used to clip or amplify the voltage to power your system if there is a physical size problem.

The six empty poles could be the unused remnants of the XT system. I'll check the magnet count. Might be a win/win and you could use the coils from a late tw or XT. I'm not sure they're interchangable, but that would be a bonus.

I have backup CDI's for our TW's so you might say I have our needs met for the forseeable future. I gotta crack into the TTR motor to send the crank out for machining, anyway. I'll take a look and get back to you.

#28 ·
Thanks man!

It looks like the XT setup is actually similar/the same as the TW. Older versions had two non radial copper coils like this

Newer versions of the XT225 have a stator with a radial arrangement, like the newer TW200s. Newer XT225s have 10 lighting coil poles with 1 ignition coil pole

Compare old XT225 above with TW200 old style:

The reason that I like the TTR setup is that I can hopefully swap just the ignition coil, without monkeying around with my lighting/charging coil. "If it ain't broke don't fix it" so why would I want to mess with it. Only the ignition system has problems so I want to swap only the ignition system.

Would you be able to take a pic of the pulser coil trigger mechanism on the flywheel? If it is just an embedded magnet i guess it doesn't matter, but if it is a chunk of metal sticking out it would be cool to know the dimensions, where it is on flywheel in relation to TDC, and what the outside diameter of the flywheel is.

Thanks again for all the help

#29 ·
Found some pics of TTR flywheel online. Looks like they have 6 internal magnets. Don't have the TW apart so need to figure out what the setup is there. The new TW's at least have the same 6magnet arrangement inside the flywheel, again based on google image searches...

Still not clear on the TTR pulse coil trigger.

Here is some kind of related information from dual sport riders of south wales forum (I have been literally to the ends of the earth researching this stuff)

"The position of the trigger magnet on CDI system is set to the most advanced position (deg BTDC) that the ignition needs to occur. Whilst idling the ignition was 10 deg BTDC as the throttle was opened the timing advanced to a maximum of 30 deg BTDC. """

Getting closer and closer...

#30 ·
Here it is on the bike. I'm oven curing the paint on the heat shield, which is mild steel, but longer than the TW version.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.