TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2002 ttr 225 today for parts, I want to big bore one of my tw's. Is the general consensus to use a modified tw output shaft in the the ttr cases with ttr trans, tw stator and flywheel, left case cover, tw head, ttr jug, and stock tw carb, rejetted?

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
That essentially what I did, except I used the TTR head. There is one bearing in the TTR crankcase that will need to be replaced with the one used in the TW (a larger ID is needed for the TW output shaft). I didn't even rejet my TW carb since it runs great as is.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Thats how mine is built as well. I would highly recommend the wiseco high compression piston while youre at it. and take them JIS screws and trash them!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be hitting you guys up for some knowledge soon. I tore down the TTR last night, getting ready to ebay the rest of the parts bike to fund the TW projects. I might snag a tw output shaft on here or ebay for a donor so I can stick my old motor on the shelf for a spare or whatever. Planning of high compression piston, but what about webcam cams for these? Worth it? Not looking to get crazy power, but a little boost whilst keeping it reliable would be cool.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
that's how mine is put together too, you'll be happy.

·
Registered
474 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
I’m going to do a web cam as well. Still undecided of what grind to use. Either the 389 or 389a. I hesitate to do the 389a and give up some low end torque. I’m also undecided on the spring kit to use. Probably the beehives but I’m not sure if the dual spring kit is more durable. It’s not a race bike and I stack on the miles so it’s gotta hold up in addition to making more power.

·
Registered
25 Posts
On my ttr225 build I went with the 389a but I am stroking, boring to 74mm's and have a port job with larger carb and custom 1.5in ID exhaust which actually tames the cam due to increased volumn and free flow intake and exhaust. The 389a on a stock tw would be pretty radical and have a high rpm power band. I am using their most expensive spring kit since the cost difference in low. If you degree the cam where it actually is advanced or opening before the straight up cam alignment you start the power earlier or lower in the rpm range and this will bring the cam power into a lower rpm and widen the power band. I am running 13.0 to 1 compression Wiseco piston which will also increase torque. I make my own octane booster from toluene and xylene with other products. With the small capacity of motorcycle fuel tanks, you don't use a lot of octane booster so it is easy to carry extra on the bike or with my travel tanks already mixed.

·
Registered
816 Posts
holy crap 13:1!!! Im very curious how all of this work turns out for you. Im kinda disappointed I couldnt put together that engines only kit in a timely manner. I would have been a little more patient, but with the baby coming soon I wanted to be making forward progress. you out to do your own build thread as many are curious.

On my ttr225 build I went with the 389a but I am stroking, boring to 74mm's and have a port job with larger carb and custom 1.5in ID exhaust which actually tames the cam due to increased volumn and free flow intake and exhaust. The 389a on a stock tw would be pretty radical and have a high rpm power band. I am using their most expensive spring kit since the cost difference in low. If you degree the cam where it actually is advanced or opening before the straight up cam alignment you start the power earlier or lower in the rpm range and this will bring the cam power into a lower rpm and widen the power band. I am running 13.0 to 1 compression Wiseco piston which will also increase torque. I make my own octane booster from toluene and xylene with other products. With the small capacity of motorcycle fuel tanks, you don't use a lot of octane booster so it is easy to carry extra on the bike or with my travel tanks already mixed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Found a 2000 ttr225 for a good price. Was supposed to run when parked, one of those things... Anyway, will that year model work? Would like to keep my 06 tw200 engine intact, as well. Would also purchase a shaft. It would be a slow build for me, lots of projects currently. Much to wifes disapproval, lol :protest:

·
Registered
816 Posts
Found a 2000 ttr225 for a good price. Was supposed to run when parked, one of those things... Anyway, will that year model work? Would like to keep my 06 tw200 engine intact, as well. Would also purchase a shaft. It would be a slow build for me, lots of projects currently. Much to wifes disapproval, lol :protest:
you wont have a problem using that block. smae as the others.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sweet :emmersed: I ended up gettin the whole bike for $300, so we'll see how it goes. Tempted to see if the engine may fit in my remaining BW200, that might be interesting :distracted:

Also, is there anyone still modding the output shaft?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well, just checked the vin #. 10th is a 3, so i'm guessing i actually got an 03? Guess guy didnt know what he had. Research shows me 99-04 ttr225 should work, so i guess i am still in the clear? No real differences from a 2000?

Thanks experts! :toothy3:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts