Roy, what about if a machine shop drilled through it for the oil feed to the outer bearing? Anyone try this? This looked so promising...Cool. But (sorry to rain on the parade) it won't work for us. The TW countershaft has a full length drilling that supplies oil to our outrigger bearing. No other shaft has that oil feed. Simply tacking this to the end of a TTR/XT countershaft will cause our outrigger bearing to run dry. Not good.
I thought it was an interesting read and is the earliest 225 mod of this type posted.Yamaha thought there was enough load on that bearing to give it positive oil feed and flow. They could have simply used a sealed bearing. I think the length of the shaft out from the engine- and the tension of the pulling chain- would yield a pretty large bending moment on the shaft.
The quote from vagabond in my post did mention it, suggesting the option must have been weighted by Yamaha as insufficient. I figure that killed the whole notion for a while.Interesting how no one back then proposed a sealed bearing, which is what we use today with PlacerLode's extension.
I'm glad you took this up and ran with it! We just did not have the ability to put a lot of miles on these for testing as we ride off road almost exclusely. Those of you who met Glen in Moab on the Slickrock this spring met the machinist who designed/machined the original six extensions. His TW is using the one of the those original extensions with no issues so far...I had not seen this thread I love that Russ aka Lizrdbrth saw the potential of this part from the very beginning! no surprise to any who knew him !
The original designer had 6 made (I bought 2) and offered to farm them out for testing as he didn't have much time to ride his personal conversion up in Oregon
at the time they were $300 and yet unproven but in talking with the designer I found they were extremely well researched by him and his team including running grease packed factory roller bearings with a sealed bearing as an option and all that was needed was field testing from prolific rider(s)
PS the originals had a slightly rough exterior finish almost looking like they could have been 3D printed - the one in the pic was probably one of the original units used for testing although I'm not sure why it's out of the bike unless it was for inspection purposes which is highly possible as the original designer really wanted them to be proven before making any more