TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the help and kindness of Brian, I now have a fully intact 1999 TTR225 motorcycle. It's not without it's problems, but it seems to be viable for what I want. It was listed on craigslist, but not really. The seller was listing a KLR650 Kawasaki and somewhere in the description said he also had this 1999 TTR 225 he wanted to sell for $1,000. I contacted him and met this evening. It is intact and in relatively fair shape considering it's year. The seller wouldn't tell me much other than he bought it last year from someone who submarined it in a deep mud puddle and couldn't get it to run after. The seller installed a new, and I mean factory new, cylinder, piston and rings. It wouldn't start. So monkeyed with the carb and got it to start, but it wouldn't run 'right'. So he bought a carb off eBay and it still wouldn't run right. He said it was cold blooded, took a long time to warm up. When I got there the motor was stone cold. Looked at it and there was a gas leak at the carb. He had the petcock turned to reserve. Set the choke on and then the key. Hit the e-button and it fired right up. Let it idle a bit, then took the choke off and it wanted to die, so left the choke on for another minute. Took the choke off and it was idling too low so I set the idle adjustment. Revved fine, no flat spot, no miss. However, it did smoke. Burning oil. But since it has a brand new barrel, piston and rings, I figure it's likely the valve seals. Turned it off and asked if it shifted good and he said it did and that the clutch was good too. I didn't test ride it. I asked what his bottom line was and he said he had $1,000 in the bike with parts and would want that. I told him I was thinking I'd start at $500, he'd counter with $800 and we'd settle on $600, would he take six? He asked if I could go $700 and I said no. So $600. Loaded it up and took it home. At home it was dark. Unloaded and fired it up. Starts very easy. Warmed it up as I disconnected the hitch carrier. By then it was warm and I mosied up the driveway. Just then a truck drove by, so I followed it using his headlight and tail lights. Bike went through the gears easy, the clutch felt sorta stiff, or firm, but smooth. Went through all 6 gears fine. Turned around and came home. On the way home, in 2nd gear, pinned the throttle wide open for 1 minute and it doesn't cut out. Doesn't feel like any 9,000 rpm, but then my TW200 doesn't either and the new tach says it does, so I'll assume that it does rev out. When I chopped the throttle, not pop or back fire, but a lot of compression braking. A good sign. Part throttle didn't cause any popping or any other problems. I'd have to say the motor feels pretty tight at this point. Down the driveway and into the garage, the idle was now a bit too high. Turned the idle screw back down and it was idling fine. In neutral, I rolled it into the garage and it died. Started it again and it would run if I fanned the throttle, but acted like the idle adjustment was too low, so I cranked it back up again. I then turned off the petcock to let it burn off the bowl. After a minute, the idle went back up. Much like a 2-stroke when it runs out of gas, it revved. I turned back on the petcock and it idled down to die. Back off and burn off some of the bowl and it revved back up. I think the float is not set right. It's a new carb, not sure if its a Chinese clone yet or not, but probably since he said it came off eBay. I then realized I didn't ask him if there were any spare parts like the stock carb, barrel, rings or piston. Crap! I'm headed for San Diego in the morning and won't be back for more than a week, but I'll email the seller and see if he's got them and if he'll hang onto them until I can pick them up.
Since the bike was warm, I pulled the plug and tested the compression. Much better than my TW200, which took several cranks to reach 120, this motor got to 145 in 3 cranks on the e-button. Bled the compression gauge and repeated 3 times. So it's got plenty of compression. The stock plug was very black, rich. A little oil on the threads, but not bad. I put a fresh plug in it and it didn't make any difference from what I could tell.
I did notice that there wasn't any more blue smoke out the exhaust like it did when first fired up and warming up. Again, a sign it may just be valve seals not working right.
So, at the least, I'll pull the head and inspect the valve train. With any luck the seals are all that need replacing. I think I have the tool kit to remove/replace valves and to lap them if needed.
I don't recall if the TTR carb is also swapped or if the TW200 carb is used. Anyone knows, please post. I also don't know what CDI can be used. Hoping the new Waterloo I got will work since the stator assembly is changed out and that's the wiring that will interface.

I imagine I'll pull the motor, clean it up and check valves. Then figure out how it goes into my TW200. I'll either then list the rolling chassis on craigslist as a whole unit, or part it out on eBay. I'm sure I'll get at least my $600 back either way, but likely more by parting out. The wheel assemblies go for around $150 to $200 each. Same with front hydraulic brake. The seat has a couple small tears but the foam is good, the seat pan good, tank is good. Harness good, swingarm, forks, all good. Exhaust is good, not dented all up, has heat shield, etc other than some surface rust. About $100 for each of those brings parts up to maybe $1,000 if I part out.

Some photos;
The whole bike
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

clutch side. Barrel looks new
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire Bumper

Seat with slight tear. Otherwise in good shape
Tire Wheel Hood Blue Automotive tire

Shifter side. Again, the barrel looks new. Carb looks new as well. The carb is nothing like the TW200 carb though. One cable and on the opposite side as a TW200 carb. I don't see how this would work on our bikes without a lot of effort.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motorcycle Fuel tank Blue

Rear wheel and tire assembly. Tire has good rubber, the rim is straight, all spokes good. sprocket is good, even the chain is good, albeit dirty.
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tread

Brake side. All intact, in good repair, but dirty.
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Synthetic rubber

From clutch side, the new barrel is obvious as is the carb. Nothing missing, no oil leaks.
Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Blue Automotive tire

Front wheel also in good shape; nothing bent or dinged, spokes all good, brake all good, forks good, but butter soft springs. Even the fork boots are good, not torn. Tire has good tread.
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Congrats Jerry, I'd say that you did pretty good!

I can't say for sure about the TTR carb, but the XT225 carb is way too big to fit into a TW without major mods. My two 225 conversions run great with stock TW carbs.

The skid plate looks similar to an XT225 one that I was able make work on a TW.

Another project that I haven't got around to yet is to bore out a set of TW triple clamps in order to use some XT/TTR fork legs.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
That's a slightly better deal than I got from Placerlode.

But then mine is museum quality and he did deliver it for free from Prescott, Arizona to sunny southern Oregon in the "sleeping compartment" of his Prius.

The other benefit from my TTR deal is that I got to meet Placerlode (we call him Other Fred).

I suspect you will be done with your swap before I am done with mine. I am halfway and holding.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Congrats Jerry, I'd say that you did pretty good!

I can't say for sure about the TTR carb, but the XT225 carb is way too big to fit into a TW without major mods. My two 225 conversions run great with stock TW carbs.

The skid plate looks similar to an XT225 one that I was able make work on a TW.

Another project that I haven't got around to yet is to bore out a set of TW triple clamps in order to use some XT/TTR fork legs.
I have a set of forks. They are yours if you want. Hope that motivates you to get busy! Ha!

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
There's your longer brake cam lever if you haven't gotten one already. And a longer front brake hose if you decide to go higher with your handlebars.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's your longer brake cam lever if you haven't gotten one already. And a longer front brake hose if you decide to go higher with your handlebars.
There are a lot of spare parts off this bike that would work on the TW200. the Stator and pulser coils, regulator for example I know are the same part numbers. The CDI isn't, but since the coils are the same, I imagine it would too.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
score!
congrats on your future 6spd TW225!

once again TW Brain shows his true colors: Gentleman.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Hey cool, you can show us what it would take to put a ttr tank on a dub 😉

Reactions: Ski Pro 3

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Am I a bad person because I now want to stay home and not go to San Diego, instead work on the TW225 mod? Ha! Not serious. But with this and the swingarm project, I think I'll be occupied this winter. Not likely to get either done before Quartzite, but maybe by March for Moab. I'm pretty slow and tend to get bogged down with details. No, no, don't say it's not true. I know I tend to get wayyy too deep into problems that might not be problems after all. Ha! But I do want to be sure this motor is in good running condition and I don't like the smell of motor oil burning in the morning. I'm sure no one wants to smell it when I'm out front and it really doesn't do a thing for my stealth mode of operation. So valve train comes off for an inspection and new seals.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Was probs just the new rings getting seated.

Reactions: littletommy

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Found another near me for $700

I told him I was out of town until next Monday. Anyone interested, let me know and I'll have you be me and you can go get it.
BTW, I'm at Downtown Disney for dinner. Jambalaya at Jazz Kitchen.

·
Super Moderator
20,142 Posts
I would have jumped on that until the no title part. Too bad.

Reactions: Donzo

·
Registered
643 Posts
Someone better jump on it. Buying a complete donor bike is 100% the best way to 225 a TW. I'll easily have 2X that piecing together my XT/TTR mongrel engine.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would have jumped on that until the no title part. Too bad.
Since only the motor is being used, and the other parts parting out, a title isn't needed. At least not in California where engine numbers on motorcycle is not on the title anyway.
If it is still there when I get back, I will likely buy it, part it out and build the motor for a TW transplant for sale.

·
Registered
137 Posts
That would be the case for me, since I have 1999 TW 125 which has 4 clutch plates.. 2001+ tw125 and all tw200s and even TW225 has 5 plates.
Motor vehicle Font Automotive design Art Auto part

Perhaps there was misunderstanding. This pic of tw200 clutch shows 5 clutch plates and 4 friction plates. My tw has 4 clutch and 3 friction plates. Xt and ttr 225/230 have 6 clutch plates and 5 friction plates. Some of them had a "half" clutch plate with a "judder spring" ( atleast that is what i think they're called) - it's supposed to lengthen the clutch grab zone on lever.
White Product Motor vehicle Organism Font

Clutch with this feature is what I have in 225 6spd pile of parts waiting to be used. Maybe one day I'll get to testing with and without the spring.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts