TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
not sure if it's due to a better adjustment or the upgraded clutch, but my 225 6spd is much smoother shifting than the stock tw clunker ever was...

·
Registered
22,193 Posts
Having that 6th gear to play with is worth half the cost of admission. Bit more power and torque make up balance. Combined they help spin my heavier ATV tire/ wheel combo through a wider gear range.
However the TW can be made to dance a bit better for less effort with an oversize Wiseco hi compression piston.
My TTR225 engine replaced a Wiseco equipped TW200 motor. I had forgotten how responsive it was until I stumbled on one of my old videos. Friskier than stock I thought in mile high elevations but cool dense temperatures:

·
Registered
20 Posts
With the help and kindness of Brian, I now have a fully intact 1999 TTR225 motorcycle. It's not without it's problems, but it seems to be viable for what I want. It was listed on craigslist, but not really. The seller was listing a KLR650 Kawasaki and somewhere in the description said he also had this 1999 TTR 225 he wanted to sell for $1,000. I contacted him and met this evening. It is intact and in relatively fair shape considering it's year. The seller wouldn't tell me much other than he bought it last year from someone who submarined it in a deep mud puddle and couldn't get it to run after. The seller installed a new, and I mean factory new, cylinder, piston and rings. It wouldn't start. So monkeyed with the carb and got it to start, but it wouldn't run 'right'. So he bought a carb off eBay and it still wouldn't run right. He said it was cold blooded, took a long time to warm up. When I got there the motor was stone cold. Looked at it and there was a gas leak at the carb. He had the petcock turned to reserve. Set the choke on and then the key. Hit the e-button and it fired right up. Let it idle a bit, then took the choke off and it wanted to die, so left the choke on for another minute. Took the choke off and it was idling too low so I set the idle adjustment. Revved fine, no flat spot, no miss. However, it did smoke. Burning oil. But since it has a brand new barrel, piston and rings, I figure it's likely the valve seals. Turned it off and asked if it shifted good and he said it did and that the clutch was good too. I didn't test ride it. I asked what his bottom line was and he said he had $1,000 in the bike with parts and would want that. I told him I was thinking I'd start at $500, he'd counter with $800 and we'd settle on $600, would he take six? He asked if I could go $700 and I said no. So $600. Loaded it up and took it home. At home it was dark. Unloaded and fired it up. Starts very easy. Warmed it up as I disconnected the hitch carrier. By then it was warm and I mosied up the driveway. Just then a truck drove by, so I followed it using his headlight and tail lights. Bike went through the gears easy, the clutch felt sorta stiff, or firm, but smooth. Went through all 6 gears fine. Turned around and came home. On the way home, in 2nd gear, pinned the throttle wide open for 1 minute and it doesn't cut out. Doesn't feel like any 9,000 rpm, but then my TW200 doesn't either and the new tach says it does, so I'll assume that it does rev out. When I chopped the throttle, not pop or back fire, but a lot of compression braking. A good sign. Part throttle didn't cause any popping or any other problems. I'd have to say the motor feels pretty tight at this point. Down the driveway and into the garage, the idle was now a bit too high. Turned the idle screw back down and it was idling fine. In neutral, I rolled it into the garage and it died. Started it again and it would run if I fanned the throttle, but acted like the idle adjustment was too low, so I cranked it back up again. I then turned off the petcock to let it burn off the bowl. After a minute, the idle went back up. Much like a 2-stroke when it runs out of gas, it revved. I turned back on the petcock and it idled down to die. Back off and burn off some of the bowl and it revved back up. I think the float is not set right. It's a new carb, not sure if its a Chinese clone yet or not, but probably since he said it came off eBay. I then realized I didn't ask him if there were any spare parts like the stock carb, barrel, rings or piston. Crap! I'm headed for San Diego in the morning and won't be back for more than a week, but I'll email the seller and see if he's got them and if he'll hang onto them until I can pick them up.
Since the bike was warm, I pulled the plug and tested the compression. Much better than my TW200, which took several cranks to reach 120, this motor got to 145 in 3 cranks on the e-button. Bled the compression gauge and repeated 3 times. So it's got plenty of compression. The stock plug was very black, rich. A little oil on the threads, but not bad. I put a fresh plug in it and it didn't make any difference from what I could tell.
I did notice that there wasn't any more blue smoke out the exhaust like it did when first fired up and warming up. Again, a sign it may just be valve seals not working right.
So, at the least, I'll pull the head and inspect the valve train. With any luck the seals are all that need replacing. I think I have the tool kit to remove/replace valves and to lap them if needed.
I don't recall if the TTR carb is also swapped or if the TW200 carb is used. Anyone knows, please post. I also don't know what CDI can be used. Hoping the new Waterloo I got will work since the stator assembly is changed out and that's the wiring that will interface.

I imagine I'll pull the motor, clean it up and check valves. Then figure out how it goes into my TW200. I'll either then list the rolling chassis on craigslist as a whole unit, or part it out on eBay. I'm sure I'll get at least my $600 back either way, but likely more by parting out. The wheel assemblies go for around $150 to $200 each. Same with front hydraulic brake. The seat has a couple small tears but the foam is good, the seat pan good, tank is good. Harness good, swingarm, forks, all good. Exhaust is good, not dented all up, has heat shield, etc other than some surface rust. About $100 for each of those brings parts up to maybe $1,000 if I part out.

Some photos;
The whole bike
View attachment 220152

clutch side. Barrel looks new
View attachment 220153

Seat with slight tear. Otherwise in good shape
View attachment 220154

Shifter side. Again, the barrel looks new. Carb looks new as well. The carb is nothing like the TW200 carb though. One cable and on the opposite side as a TW200 carb. I don't see how this would work on our bikes without a lot of effort.
View attachment 220155

Rear wheel and tire assembly. Tire has good rubber, the rim is straight, all spokes good. sprocket is good, even the chain is good, albeit dirty.
View attachment 220156

Brake side. All intact, in good repair, but dirty.
View attachment 220157

From clutch side, the new barrel is obvious as is the carb. Nothing missing, no oil leaks.
View attachment 220158

Front wheel also in good shape; nothing bent or dinged, spokes all good, brake all good, forks good, but butter soft springs. Even the fork boots are good, not torn. Tire has good tread.
View attachment 220159
Pretty good score. The transplant isn’t complicated at all, the TW carb will run the 225 fine ( two friends have it set up that way on XT motors in their TW’s) just like TW-Brian says. But.....I do have a 2007 Mikuni XT225 that we put on my 98XT225 motor in my 2009 TW. Put on the correct size intake boot for the Mikuni and it squeeeeeeezed in there, very sore fingers but it can be done. (FYI the ‘98 XT carb linkage/ cables where not TW friendly, not sure what years resulted in changes to what). My point is that if you want to go beyond just a few CC’s and a sixth gears and really liven up the engine, the bigger Mikuni will help you get there.
Anyways either carb you choose will probably fix your air / fuel mixture problems. Down a mud hole or made in China, don’t know which is worse? At least when it comes to cheap carbs that is.
Oh yeah, gotta ‘03 TTR motor sitting in my garage for my ‘13 TW. But the wife says I have to clean the garage first. Maybe that will help me find it😜😜😜

·
Registered
123 Posts
A question for those that have the 225 engines. Joeband says he likes the clutch better, but how is the shifting? Can't get any worse than the TW, in my opinion. It would almost be worth the price of admission if these engines shift good!

Mike

·
Registered
137 Posts
But.....I do have a 2007 Mikuni XT225 that we put on my 98XT225 motor in my 2009 TW. Put on the correct size intake boot for the Mikuni and it squeeeeeeezed in there, very sore fingers but it can be done.
By that carb you mean the BST34 carrb right? TW brian said, it interferes with frame and carb to airbox boot doesn't exactly fit?
XTNG carbs answered my email and they make 34mm carb, I asked for it's dimensions.
I assume your carb is mounted on bike? I'd like measurements of that carb. I'll take a look around the internet.

Reactions: Ski Pro 3

·
Registered
327 Posts
Having that 6th gear to play with is worth half the cost of admission. Bit more power and torque make up balance. Combined they help spin my heavier ATV tire/ wheel combo through a wider gear range.
However the TW can be made to dance a bit better for less effort with an oversize Wiseco hi compression piston.
My TTR225 engine replaced a Wiseco equipped TW200 motor. I had forgotten how responsive it was until I stumbled on one of my old videos. Friskier than stock I thought in mile high elevations but cool dense temperatures:
Fred, do you think that high compression piston/bore, and perhaps a little head port/polish might add 2 hp. to the stock TW? Or is it more like <1 hp.? Thanks! P

·
Registered
20 Posts
By that carb you mean the BST34 carrb right? TW brian said, it interferes with frame and carb to airbox boot doesn't exactly fit?
XTNG carbs answered my email and they make 34mm carb, I asked for it's dimensions.
I assume your carb is mounted on bike? I'd like measurements of that carb. I'll take a look around the internet.
Sorry, but the bike is in Montana at my buddies place,so can’t get the measurements off it..
Yes the engine is mounted in unmodified 2009 TW200, did use a XT front lower engine to frame mounting bracket because it is beefier than the TW’s , just needed minor reaming on one hole.
It is a Mikuni carb that came off of a 2007 XT225
It is a ‘98 XT225 motor, I know the ‘05, ‘06, ‘07 maybe ‘04? XT motors are a bit different in that they use an unlined cylinder and have larger case openings..not sure if there are other angle differences Or measurements that effects carb fitment?
I believe TW-Brian is running a TTR motor, it sure if that has anything to do with it?
I will let you know when I attempt my TTR225 transplant into ‘13TW.
Oh and just beware for those who don’t know, the1986 to early ‘90’s Serow/XT225’s were 5spds. Sooooo avoid that surprise for a transplant. 😬
Also got this replacement XT/ TTR intake manifold but I don’t think that effected fitment?
Font Screenshot Circle Web page Number
Font Screenshot Circle Web page Number

·
Registered
20 Posts
A question for those that have the 225 engines. Joeband says he likes the clutch better, but how is the shifting? Can't get any worse than the TW, in my opinion. It would almost be worth the price of admission if these engines shift good!

Mike
To me, at least for the XT225 it is a noticeable improvement.👍

·
Registered
22,193 Posts
Westie, you're the one with the dynometer tests on your TW. :)
I'm just seat of the pants. I've cleaned up the ports of the stock motor when I put in the 1 mm oversize Wiseco piston and any improvement was hard to honestly estimate. This went into a TW with ~7,000 miles that had bent an exhaust valve a month previously so my opinion may be influenced as much by optimism, joy to be riding again or an actual increase in performance.
The TTR 225 engine swap was more noticeable , perhaps most at the lower rpms our TWs use so well when low speed exploring. I like to tread lightly getingt into places with 360 degree views with enough torque to get job done without selling or wheel spin. Pause, take a picture, turn around, take another, then hopefully motor off smoothly again.
Water Sky Water resources Mountain Blue

Tire Sky Wheel Cloud Vehicle

·
Registered
3,695 Posts

Mike
yes it shifts smoother... now whether that is a ttr225 tranny vs a TW tranny, or just being better adjusted... IDK.

the extra umfph and extra gear... priceless.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sorry, but the bike is in Montana at my buddies place,so can’t get the measurements off it..
Yes the engine is mounted in unmodified 2009 TW200, did use a XT front lower engine to frame mounting bracket because it is beefier than the TW’s , just needed minor reaming on one hole.
It is a Mikuni carb that came off of a 2007 XT225
It is a ‘98 XT225 motor, I know the ‘05, ‘06, ‘07 maybe ‘04? XT motors are a bit different in that they use an unlined cylinder and have larger case openings..not sure if there are other angle differences Or measurements that effects carb fitment?
I believe TW-Brian is running a TTR motor, it sure if that has anything to do with it?
I will let you know when I attempt my TTR225 transplant into ‘13TW.
Oh and just beware for those who don’t know, the1986 to early ‘90’s Serow/XT225’s were 5spds. Sooooo avoid that surprise for a transplant. 😬
Also got this replacement XT/ TTR intake manifold but I don’t think that effected fitment?
No probs, I have a whole year to find it :D
Yes you are right - 01-07 XT225 had nikasil instead of steel insert cylinder, different timing chain, but that's it. nothing here should affect carb fitment. as far as I know TTRs are engine-wise the same as XT225 ( if we are not talking about TTR230, which has taller 1st and 2nd gears - known as narrow ratio gearbox)
Are you sure about the 5spd 225? I have looked at parts diagrams throughout the years ( starting at '86 with TT225 - kick only model) and found none 225 5spd. only 5spd was XT200.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Home from San Diego.
Out looking over my "new" (to me) TTR 225 and I looked at the site glass to check oil. Hmmm... No matter how far I tip it over, looks the same. Did this yutz forget to put oil in? But it smoked, so must be some oil. Did it burn ALL the oil, it's that bad? Only one way to tell, pull the drain plug. Oil drained. And drained. And drained...
Measured 100 ounces, a hair over THREE quarts! 3000 CC's to be exact. I guess the idiot somehow filled it 3 times.
What damage do you suppose was done doing this?

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thanks Brian. Filled with 1000cc of Traveller SAE 10W40, cheap stuff I keep several gallons of for tractor's backhoe attachment. (She leaks a bit). Very cheap, the rating says, well heck, here's a photo
Font Gas Circle Paper Document

I get it at Tractor Supply

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Test drove it.
I don't think it's burning oil now. Carb works great now. Idle sets fine. Started immediately with choke, stuttered after maybe a minute, choke off, revs fine.
Went for a warm up run, shifts smooth. A mile out, figure it's warm enough to get on it a bit. Wow! Lots more power than the TW. Shifts to second with 3/4 throttle popping the clutch will lift the front wheel without applying body English. Very easy to do 2nd gear wheelies while rolling/popping the clutch. I was expecting some power improvement, but not this.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
There are two oil leaks. One at the shifter and another on the front right fork leg. The shifter cover is broken where is slides over the shifter shaft. Here's a photo;
Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

·
Registered
137 Posts
Home from San Diego.
Out looking over my "new" (to me) TTR 225 and I looked at the site glass to check oil. Hmmm... No matter how far I tip it over, looks the same. Did this yutz forget to put oil in? But it smoked, so must be some oil. Did it burn ALL the oil, it's that bad? Only one way to tell, pull the drain plug. Oil drained. And drained. And drained...
Measured 100 ounces, a hair over THREE quarts! 3000 CC's to be exact. I guess the idiot somehow filled it 3 times.
What damage do you suppose was done doing this?
If you have too much oil, what can happen is the fast rotating crank foams up the oil. oily foam doesn't lubricate good enough and mainly oil system looses pressure. so the damage can be almost the same as not enough oil.
Checking the new cylinder, it says it's 229cc's View attachment 220406
that would indicate it's from YFM250, 71mm bore. possibly if the PO bought a whole kit with piston and didn't opt for higher compression, it would have YFM's stock 8.7:1 ratio

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Some good luck to make up for the bad you've been having 👍 cool find

Reactions: littletommy
21 - 40 of 78 Posts