TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, So this is my first post here. I just found this because well, I ignored the internet on this one. I got myself a Craigslist special $500 1990 TW200. It ran, as much as a broken carb T-shirt sleeve in the air box never changed the oil TW could, which wasn't much.

So the day I bought it I jammed it in the creek near my house and was about to just leave it because it ran so badly. Then, I started digging.

With a budget of $20 I decided to fix 'er up a bit. I cut off the exhaust, rear pegs, all the plastics, touched up the frame since it was black to start with, painted the seat, jammed the electrical into a Radio Shack project box and zip tied it to the frame, and stuffed a sawed off Two Brothers Carbon Fiber can on it... OH! And I used a UNI filter off another old bike and a radiator hose that didnt fit my truck to make an intake. Yes, it's jetted for all that.

Since I make decals and signs, I shot the tank with leftover bass boat paint and stuck that little decal on it, if you want one, let me know, I'll cut you a pair for $15.

Anyways, lets get to where it sits now. It has a Mikuni VM28 carb, all the above mods and a dying CDI. I crammed a Duro Powergrip tire in the rear and a Pirelli something aggressive in the front, dont recall what that is.

Was loads of fun in the snow!

I know I missed a few small things in there, like the mirrors, $8 ebay specials. All the stock guages are there, but they dont work except the speedo, and it has no backlight so you cant read it at night.

Here's the fun...

Ebay special Turbo, the same one the guys put on chinese scooters RB31:

Sunpro Boost Guage, and oil temp guage. New heavy duty clutch, 1mm OS Piston and ring set, Some Parker fittings for vacuum and carb balance, and a gasket set.

Not pictured:

Aluminum adapter to fit the Thunder Power Jet to the carb and new UNI filter. Plumbing for Turbo oil. Oil cooler off a Kawasaki Lawnmower motor, since thats a hobby of mine too and hotter coil for ignition. Oh and a 3 stage HKS blowoff valve. I love ebay.

What's being built right now:

Oil adapter at my friend's CNC shop:

Thats a render of it from the software, and what it will look like. Banjo fittings out of the top, styled to look like old style valve cover. You know, performance! Making that from scratch blows too, so you all know. Many hours and beers in that so far and we havent even started cutting.

So far, its a pile of parts and well, stuff you cant say in polite company. I will update as I go, and this is all open to suggestion. Should be fun when done, Oh and... Its not draw through. This goes Turbo - Carb - Motor - Turbo - Downpipe, like it should.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Hey Morgan,

Welcome, congratulations on your TW, and WOW!

I for one will be looking forward to your continued progress on your bike and future contributions to this group. I can assure that you just made a few hundred new best friends with that oil cooler cover!

Brian

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha thank you! I do plan on offering those for sale, cheap. I'm not in it for money, this is just fun for me
I am by no means an expert, I'm just dedicated.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Sounds like you have some skills to share with many of us. Feel free to piece together a oil cooler kit and include that custom oil cooler cover in the pack. You will have several buyers in line. Nice Job.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Yeehaw!

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Hey Morgan,

Welcome, congratulations on your TW, and WOW!

I for one will be looking forward to your continued progress on your bike and future contributions to this group. I can assure that you just made a few hundred new best friends with that oil cooler cover!

Brian

Welcome Morgan!....sounds like you have the jist of TW'ing already.They are good machines.And yes it will be fun to watch your progress/finished product!.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Hey dude! Its always fun to see others progress and it looks like your coming along quickly. Its looking good. What does that "turbo" do? Havent seen that one yet... What kind of tire is that on the rear?

Would you be interested in making me some custom decals? I have been considering going with some aother few internet companies but I would rather give my money to a fellow tdubber! If your interested we can talk via pm.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, I walked past it

and into the garage...

And found the oil cooler:

thats off a Kawasaki v-twin lawnmower motor. Should work good. Going to mill off the fittings and tap it.

And for the turbo, its a real life turbocharger. Like on a car.

IN and OUT shots. Its going under my left cheek.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Oh great...I try and impress everyone with my rattle can paint job mod, and you come up with this

You have some serious TW game, there Mr Morgan.

·
Registered
133 Posts
My 1990 was a putrid green color...Why the different color?

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
My 1990 was a putrid green color...Why the different color?

Back in the early years of the T'dub there were two color schemes offered per year.

Also different color schemes between the different markets (Australia, Europe, Canada, U.S., Japan, etc.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
WOW! I am totally digging this tdub. First thing I thought when I bought my TW was a turbo. Im a turbo honda guy by trade and Im itching to throw a snail on one of these. Let me know how this goes. Definately interested in any parts you make. PM me with prices for the oil sandwich plate once you get up and running.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
This oughta keep Ronnydog busy fer awhile....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Took it out today for another 200 miles. Ran good, CDI cuts out 35 to 45 sometimes. Its so weird. Maybe its from the winter. I haven't made progress on it today, though I should have, I mean I quit my job so maybe I can get a project done now! Anyone got a used CDI to part with? I might have something to trade...

A quick note on oil coolers. M14/1.5 threads on them for banjo bolts, billet aluminum and painted just like the picture. I still don't have a set ETA but this weekend we are chucking wax in the mill to make a test one, I will snap a few shots of it installed on the motor. For kicks we might make a clear one too, the clear poly I have goes to 600f without distorting...

Anyways, pulling the transmission out of my truck, once thats fixed engine comes out of Tdub for boring and headwork. More pictures of that to come too.

I got bored and made that, needs a good tank decal.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Took it out today for another 200 miles. Ran good, CDI cuts out 35 to 45 sometimes. Its so weird. Maybe its from the winter. I haven't made progress on it today, though I should have, I mean I quit my job so maybe I can get a project done now! Anyone got a used CDI to part with? I might have something to trade...

A quick note on oil coolers. M14/1.5 threads on them for banjo bolts, billet aluminum and painted just like the picture. I still don't have a set ETA but this weekend we are chucking wax in the mill to make a test one, I will snap a few shots of it installed on the motor. For kicks we might make a clear one too, the clear poly I have goes to 600f without distorting...

Anyways, pulling the transmission out of my truck, once thats fixed engine comes out of Tdub for boring and headwork. More pictures of that to come too.

I got bored and made that, needs a good tank decal.

Morgan what is your home town?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts