TW200 Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a few older posts with fellow members who have sealed the spokes and used the TW31 tire.

How has it worked out for you? Can you run lower pressures?

Does it save any weight compared to using a tube?

Has anyone weighed the wheel before and after?

Thanks

·
Registered
TW 125
27 Posts
comin from supermoto world I can say:
normally all the tires seals the rims on the shoulder, the problem is the spokes nipples, that you have to seal.
in total, is not a nightmare work, quite easy and the weight saving is exaclty the one of the tube :)

·
Registered
2004 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
774 Posts
I've read a few older posts with fellow members who have sealed the spokes and used the TW31 tire.

How has it worked out for you? Can you run lower pressures?

Does it save any weight compared to using a tube?

Has anyone weighed the wheel before and after?

Thanks
I converted my rear TW wheel to tubeless w/ 3M 4200 Fast Cure & clear tape, running a Bridgestone TW204 street-biased tire - have not done the front conversion, yet. I do like it.

Seems to hold psi well - haven't gone below 15psi, but no reason to think it wouldn't hold it.
Flat/puncture repairs will be easier than having to remove the wheel, as with a tube.

Also, tubes are not only unsprung weight (bad), but are bound by the laws of rotational inertia:

When it's time to GO, the engine must work harder to put them into motion & when it's time to STOP, the brakes work harder to slow that extra rotating mass down, increasing braking distance & slowing brake response.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I converted my rear TW wheel to tubeless w/ 3M 4200 Fast Cure & clear tape, running a Bridgestone TW204 street-biased tire - have not done the front conversion, yet. I do like it.

Seems to hold psi well - haven't gone below 15psi, but no reason to think it wouldn't hold it.
Flat/puncture repairs will be easier than having to remove the wheel, as with a tube.

Also, tubes are not only unsprung weight (bad), but are bound by the laws of rotational inertia:

When it's time to GO, the engine must work harder to put them into motion & when it's time to STOP, the brakes work harder to slow that extra rotating mass down, increasing braking distance & slowing brake response.
Do you recall which valve stem you used? Thanks.

·
Registered
2004 TW200, Jets 'n Shims, DGV2, Acerbis Guards, ProTaper KX, JNS LED BLK
774 Posts
Do you recall which valve stem you used? Thanks.
Yep, EBay - as below. If I had to do it again, I’d choose a different one, though. This 90-deg fitting lays the valve stem so close to the wheel, some air chucks or pressure gauges will not fit it.

it would have been a hassle to return, or wait for a replacement, so I just installed it.

Font Gas Auto part Machine Automotive tire

Reactions: vwbobby
1 - 7 of 7 Posts