TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I have searched some previous posts on this subject, but wanted the latest info on the best way forward. I have a 2020 TW200 that I bought new.
I live in remote Africa and ride through very difficult terrain with absolutely no water available in the dry season. The thought of getting a puncture 20+km from my basecamp in tough terrain and no footpaths really worries me. I normally only carry enough water for 2 days, around 7 litres.
I have never changed a wheel and fixed a puncture on any vehicle before, (I carry 2 spares on my 4x4), and am pinning my hopes on fitting tubeless wheels and tyres with a self-sealing compound inside the tyres to get me back to camp.
Has anyone had any experience of this, and what would members recommend?
Happy 2021, Steve

Registered
Welcome! 馃憢

There's been quite a bit of interest in the "trailer wheel mod" lately, in which a 12" or 14" trailer wheel is fitted to a modified, or custom built rear hub.

People are doing this primarily for a greater selection of rear tire tread patterns, but a secondary benefit is the ability to use tubeless tires.

You'd still have to figure something out for the front tire, though.

Good luck, and have fun!

Registered
I just read somewhere that one of the aftermarket rim manufactures, cant be that many, Sunstar, DID, Buchanans....was making new sealed spoke rims for all applications. Probably not cheap.

Super Moderator
I was/am planning to try and make my front tires tubliss. There are several options. I'm including these videos for reference only. I saved them to give me an idea of what to do. I haven't done it yet but plan to.
I was going to do the same thing for my rear tires but I will now have 3 TW rear tires converted with the 12" trailer tire rim conversion modification with ATV tires (ride mostly offroad) and this system will be tubliss. I've had the mod on my wife's TW for a few years now and when she got a flat I just used a plug system to fix the flat. She's ridden 2+ years now with the tire plug in the ATV tire without another flat.
I have "RideOn" tire flat gunk but I haven't put it in any of my tires yet. I plan to this year and that will help with future flats and supposedly helps balance the tires.

Oh, got distracted. Here are the rim sealing videos I've saved to help with future front rim sealing. These are for other bikes and rims but it's a guide. As I said, there are other manufactures and methods for making a rim tubliss, some DIY, this is just one of them.

Reactions: littletommy

Registered
Silicone is cheap.
Concerned with the same issue of wishing to avoid difficulties repairing punctures in the field I sealed my spokes of my ATV tire equipped rear TW rim from the inside with common good quality silicone adhesive/sealant.
With the addition of a tubeless motorcycle valve stem this allowed me to delete the tube.
Adding RideOn sealant and adding a tire plugging kit to my tool load out completed the job for less than a $35 investment.
Several YouTube videos highlight this simple spoke sealing procedure. Options include using other paste sealants as well as sealing rim tape designed for this application but likely harder to find in remote Africa.

Another option is to just add RideOn and hope for the best.
While individual success varies I became a fan of RideOn sealant after discovering a puncturing nail not leaking from a tube equipped TW tire that I had pre-dosed with RideOn. Attempting to remove the nail caused leakage so I pushed nail back in and continued the ride. Tire with nail still in it held air for several more years and many thousands of miles.

Puncture repair on front tubed TW tires is not too difficult compared to the stiff rear tire. Changing to an ATV tire in rear however permits a cautious safe self rescue with no air ; sidewalls may not collapse enough to damage rim, just monitor heat build-up.

EDIT: I see Admiral beat me too it with good info based on real life experience which seems the most reliable source of information.
My sealed spoke tubeless conversion has been leak free for two years and perhaps 5,000km of mostly off-road riding.

Registered
Fred, when you sealed the spokes and added a tubeless valve did you change to a specifically 'tubeless' tyre or just remove the tube from your original 'tube type' and carry on using that? I'm curious as to whether the 'tube type' tyre will seal properly against the rim. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Registered
Sorry ****, I did not seal the front spokes so cannot address the rim fit of a tube-type tire sans tube on a TW.
What I did was seal the rear for this ITP Terracross ATV tubeless tire to replace the nail perforated Duro on the right.

( I think I got my money's worth out of the Duro purchased used from forum member TrailScout)

I went tubeless for a greater probability of RideOn once again quietly & unobtrusively sealing any new punctures without me even being aware of them. I have pump and plugs for those times when I am made aware of a leak.

Some can fix a rear TrailWing flat in the field but I found breaking the bead on a Duro ATV tire needed more tools than I typically carry on the bike.:cool:

Registered
I have the Outex conversion on the Dakar. My rear wheel loses pressure slowly. But I think it is a rim leak rather than a spoke leak, based on some slime tracking. I am running Metzler Karoo 3 front and rear.

I did not install the kit, the previous owner did.

For the slow leak reason I also have a FOBO 2 TPMS on it as well which Bluetooths to the phone. That is really handy and gives me peace of mind.

Registered
Spend some time on this website

I have their Tubliss system on my TW. It is a small tough tube that locks the tire beads to the rim and seals the spokes, allowing tubless riding. I accidentally ran 60 miles on the road with zero psi in the front tire with no I'll effects.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Registered
Certainly the Tubliss system works on the front rim. Oddly enough TrailScout didn't like Tubliss on his TW but I forget his reason for dissatisfaction.
Mouses and official tire balls are other options over the $100US price point. Some ATV folks recommend WALLY BALLS, inflatable units from Walmart around an affordable $1US each. Lube 'em up, slide 'em into tire, inflate each individually then mount tire on rim. Colorfull too, get some extras for the kids.:cool:

Registered
I am planning on using 3M 4412 sealing tape to seal the spokes front and rear (4411 tape has 1mm thinner adhesive layer, but that would work too). the tape holds up to 150掳C (300F) and comes in widhts of: 19, 25, 50, 65, 75, 100mm. roughen the rim with sandpaper, clean with Isopropyl alcohol and lay the tape. just make sure you start and end between spokes. one layer should do the trick, no need for more layers. Quite common usage of this tape on the internet to seal rims.

one time I was riding in the town for a week with flat rear tire ( I had shinko sr428 at that time I think) and the side wall held up well enough, but of course, I had to keep my weight to the front and not ride hard. I don't think flat front would be unrideable or dangerous if you'd ride adequately.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all for your replies. I've had to write off the TUbliss system as they don't make one for 14" tyres. I'm being advised by quadbike riders in Zambia to consider filling the tubes with 'Slime' puncture sealant...would that work?
Thanks romtik, I'd never have considered riding with a flat, but that would be a bonus if all else fails.

Registered
My warning about Slime would be that it will cause tube patches to fall off. Slime is intended to temporarily slow a puncture until you can get to a tire shop for a plug repair. On a virgin tube it would probably be fine but you wouldn't be able to get a patch to stick for long. Just my personal experience...several times...on the same ride.

Slime only made everything worse.

Side note: The Slime pump that comes in the little kit is junk and should not be trusted.

Registered
I used slime in the past and it actually would harden somewhat and seal the hole. That was years ago. Then it seemed like they changed the formula and it would seep out and never actually harden and seal. I began to not trust it on top of it being a stinking mess. The slime will also clog your valve stem and you can't add air, I guess that is if the valve stem was leaking slightly. Not being able to add air is bad. Slime also locked my tire to the rim. I had a hard time getting the bead busted loose and that was at home with lots of tools.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
With all TW200's being owned and enjoyed around the world, surely it would be worth someone's while to build us a tubeless front and rear rim?!!
TDubs would then be unstoppable...

Registered
I just found out: BARTubeless from bartfactory. just putting this up here. I think the 3M tape will be enough for me, but that's just me. someone could find it useful. maybe they could manufacture a new rim?

Registered
I just messaged them, and we'll see what they have to offer. But they are from Italy, so that could oppose a problem for most of you. I also found another solution - www.king-wheels.com - and messaged them. I'll keep you posted.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts