TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

URL=http://s381.photobucket.com/user/nathan835/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20170422_115534_zpszbvsy59d.jpg.html]
[/URL]

Had a great Spring 2017, two days, two nice birds. Of course once you tag out you see all the BIG birds. Oh well, cant complain at all, its shaping up to be a special year. Hopefully my luck will continue.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I have 15 turkeys strutting around my back yard now. No need for a TW but I have no desire to shoot any. Taste like $hit to me no mater how you cook them.

GaryL

·
Super Moderator
17,963 Posts
Got my first one of the year this morning. You should have seen those employees in the freezer section jump at Fred Meyer when the gun went off... :D

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
No accounting for lack of culinary prowess:p
Probably right but I have tried it a few times by some really good game cooks and just found it dry and tasteless. I think the birds are what they eat just like the deer around here. Get a deer living by a farm or corn field and very tasty but get one living in the mountain laurels and not nearly as tasty. Right now is trout fishing time and the water is cold and the fish are fabulous for dinner. Catch the same fish in July or August from the warmer water and not nearly as tasty.

GaryL

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Wow I have never had a wild turkey to eat. All most all of the store bought turkeys have been injected with stuff. The best turkeys I've had were fresh and "free range". One of the ways I cook them are on a weber barbeque. I think most people over cook them or cook them too slow. Don't cook them with dressing inside which slows the cooking. I indirect cook them with kingsford hickory charcoal briquettes. You only need to add briquettes once after an hour to each side of the drip pan and that's it. A 12 lb turkey will cook to 170 degrees in @ 2 hrs with a nice crispy brown skin and be very juicy. What's also nice is they will have a light hickory smoke flavor. Every one raves about how good they are and it is so easy. I even cook them out camping. CA allows air guns for hunting turkeys, I have a 12ga too. I have been wanting to dust off my hunting license and try some local wild turkey hunting as we have a good population now in SD county.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Making me hungry. I have a few bowls of my almost locally famous stew left. May shed a tear when its finally gone. Did a marinade i normally reserve for venison or beef flank steak on the tenders and did turkey parm with one of the breasts. Couldnt have been any more well received. Love those little dinosaurs!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts