TW200 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2019 and have been having some strange electrical issues that have started at the same time a few days ago.

My turn signal switch fails to elicit a blink on the signals nor the indicator on the headset. (The horn, high beam still works). At the same time this occurred the two rear signals stopped working and are not turning on nor are they blinking.

All 4 signals and the head lights are the only upgrades I have done and that was several months ago. The turn signals in the rear were working until this occurred a few days ago. The front signals are still working. The rear tail light is still working.

There was no fall/accident. The connections from the switch to the connectors at the front of the bike near the head light are in tact. The rear signal connections are in tact. I took apart the switch today and cleaned it with some carb cleaner.

Any one have an idea of where I should start looking? This is my first bike and I’m new to working on them.

Thank you to anyone who took the time to read this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
412 Posts
Are all the things you replaced LED? Did you replace the relay with a LED relay? Have you tried using one of the other bulbs in the indicator on the pilot box to see if it works? Have you tried testing the rear signals to see if they work or you somehow shorted them out?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are all the things you replaced LED? Did you replace the relay with a LED relay? Have you tried using one of the other bulbs in the indicator on the pilot box to see if it works? Have you tried testing the rear signals to see if they work or you somehow shorted them out?
I do not believe they are LED and I have the stock relay. In any case, everything was working great for over 4 months with no issues.

I don’t believe it’s just the bulb in the pilot box, the indicator itself doesn’t seem to working at it isn’t even blinking the front signals which are functioning.

I suppose I’ll have to test the rear signals to see if they are shorted. But this still would not explain why the turn signal switch went out as well.

Thank you for your time

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Would not expect front turn signals to flash when the rear are not operating. Suggest you check wiring to rear for damage or being disconnected...not shorted. Shorted to ground should take out a fuse.

"The rear signal connections are in tact." From where to where?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would not expect front turn signals to flash when the rear are not operating. Suggest you check wiring to rear for damage or being disconnected...not shorted. Shorted to ground should take out a fuse.

"The rear signal connections are in tact." From where to where?
Connected to the wires at the rear, but you’re right I’ll trace them back from the battery and make sure everything is in tact

·
Registered
601 Posts
Just an FYI, the 2019 flasher relay is the same part number as previous years, but does not seem to have an issue with hyper flash when accommodating LED turn signals.

Pierre, any issues with the headlight when you turn on your turn signals? And when you upgraded them, did you use the existing connectors, or cut and replace with new bullets/splice/solder?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an FYI, the 2019 flasher relay is the same part number as previous years, but does not seem to have an issue with hyper flash when accommodating LED turn signals.

Pierre, any issues with the headlight when you turn on your turn signals? And when you upgraded them, did you use the existing connectors, or cut and replace with new bullets/splice/solder?
No issues with the headlight when I use the signals, although the signals aren’t working at the moment. But there was never an issue before

When I upgraded the signals they came with the wires and I just unplugged the connector and plugged the new ones in. No cutting or further work needed.

Could possibly be a fuse or bad connection to the relay. Thanks for letting me about the 2019 relay, I hope I don’t have to replace it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
because both rear aren't working, check the ground connections for the signal lights
Ground connections into the battery area are intact and connected. Also of note the brake light does work.

Something is causing my signal switch to not function and also my two rear tail lights to not work. I was originally thinking this all due to a single cause since it happened at the same time but that’s not making sense to me. Might need to take it to a mechanic if I can save the money up

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Two most likely causes:
1. Break in the wiring going to the rear. A continuity check all the way back to the bulb sockets may be helpful.
2. A break in the rear lighting ground. A quick check would be to probe the battery negative post and each bulb socket shell for continuity. Resistance should only be perhaps 1/10 to 2/10 of an ohm.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Ground connections into the battery area are intact and connected. Also of note the brake light does work.

Something is causing my signal switch to not function and also my two rear tail lights to not work. I was originally thinking this all due to a single cause since it happened at the same time but that’s not making sense to me. Might need to take it to a mechanic if I can save the money up

which 2 rear tail lights? bike only comes with one taillight

1 - 11 of 11 Posts