TW200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased LEDs to replace the three indicator lights (Turn, High Beams, Neutral). Both the High Beam and Neutral lights work just fine, but the turn signal does not. Any ideas why? Also, the cover (or housing) for these three lights has one of the screw tabs broken off so when I go over bumps, it rattles. Has anyone fixed this? If not, is there a place online that I can buy a new one.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I ordered cheapos and one of the three bulbs was defective. The other two work great and are a nice upgrade. If you know the bulb is good, you might need to check the receiver socket for corrosion or breakage. Pretty sure there is a spring under there you should check for proper operation. Running some fine sandpaper over the connection points can sometimes help. It’s also possible your turn signal switch might not be working properly, if you haven’t already ruled that out. Other possibility might be a bad wire.

You can buy a new housing for as low as $24, depending on what year your bike is. If I had a spare I’d send it to you, but I currently do not have one.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/1987/trailway-tw200t/meter

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t think it’s the bulb or socket. A non led bulb works fine in the turn signal socket, and the turn signal led bulb works fine in the high beam socket.

·
Registered
20,489 Posts
I think you might need to add some impedance to the circuit and likely a wheatstone bridge to get the one L.E.D. indicator light to flash for both left and right turn signals. Diodes like L.E.D.s behave differently than resistor based illumination bulbs. wheatstone.png
Forum member Gerry and others smarter than me have discussed this in past. Search old posts for theory and solution.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
well, if Fred didn't confuse you, then go for it. if he did then here is a easier way. one side of the new bulb has to go to ground, stock socket doesn't have a ground, so you have to cut one wire and ground it. the 2 wires from the signals have to have a diode added and then they join together on the other wire to the socket.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
I think you might need to add some impedance to the circuit and likely a wheatstone bridge to get the one L.E.D. indicator light to flash for both left and right turn signals. Diodes like L.E.D.s behave differently than resistor based illumination bulbs. View attachment 190174
Forum member Gerry and others smarter than me have discussed this in past. Search old posts for theory and solution.
what is that? looks like something for a stator set up or maybe a rectifier

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Mine were plug and play, no mods needed. 01 model year

I read some of the reviews on the bulbs I bought. The folks that had problems removed the bulb and rotated 1/2 turn and reinstalled and that worked for many of them. Reviews also indicated many arrived defective.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Mine were plug and play, no mods needed. 01 model year

I read some of the reviews on the bulbs I bought. The folks that had problems removed the bulb and rotated 1/2 turn and reinstalled and that worked for many of them. Reviews also indicated many arrived defective.
the indicator bulb will only work with one signal as the led is directional, you can't reverse the feed. it needs to be rewired with diodes to work in both directions. there are kits you can buy for around $20 or do like i did and order 100 diodes for $4 off of fleebay and make your own

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
the indicator bulb will only work with one signal as the led is directional, you can't reverse the feed. it needs to be rewired with diodes to work in both directions. there are kits you can buy for around $20 or do like i did and order 100 diodes for $4 off of fleebay and make your own
Are referring to the turn signals or the dash light?

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
I had a turn signal lens that wouldn't stay on so I fixed it with duct tape.

duct tape lens.JPG

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok ... I watched a couple videos on electric circuits, leds, multimeters, voltage drop tests. Then I thought about it for a while and my conclusion is... the light is not getting enough voltage. If it was getting enough - it would light. If it was getting too much it would light and burn out. Thus, there must already be extra resistance in the circuit sucking the voltage needed to light the bulb. I can verify this with a voltage drop test which I can do. Should be able to do this this weekend.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts