TW200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
TurtlePalooza 2014 - Mayhem in the Mountains!

Announcing the Third annual TurtlePalooza!

June 13-15, 2014 Bryson City, NC

Mark your calendars for the weekend of June 13th through 15th, 2014. Let's see how many TW200's we can get together this time!

The location has changed since last year. We'll be staying at the Ridgetop Motel in Bryson City, NC. You are also welcome to stay at another hotel in the area or camp at one of the many nearby campgrounds. The Ridgetop is comparable to the motel we stayed at in Townsend last year. If you are looking for more mainstream accommodations there is a Mictrotel and a Sleep Inn nearby, but they will be quite a bit more expensive. If you're coming in an RV, the Ridgetop does have an RV Campground.

I've blocked off 10 rooms under the name TW200. Book early in case we need more than 10 rooms. The phone number for reservations is 828-488-6335. I've arranged for a group discount rate of $49 per night plus taxes. Rooms are currently blocked off for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The block of rooms is only held until April 15th, so if you even think you might attend book now!

The Ridgetop has a pool and a guest laundry, and is located in a nice quiet spot on top of the hill in Bryson City. There are several local restaurants ranging from independent hole in the wall BBQ joint to full sit down multi course meals. Alcoholic beverages are available at a couple of gas stations in town as well as a few restaurants.

I've got routes planned for a full day of riding both Saturday and Sunday that offers a mix of street, gravel and trail. Ideally you should plan to arrive Friday afternoon or evening and leave either Sunday night or Monday morning if you want to get the most riding time out of this weekend.

If you are pretty sure you are going to attend please reply in this thread so we can see who all is coming. If you would like one of the rooms at the Ridgetop please call there direct and make sure to mention you are part of the TW200 group to get the lower rate.

You can PM me if you have any questions about the area, other accommodations, other attractions for family coming with you, etc. or call me at work at Dual Sport Touring, 865-995-9505.

This is going to be a great get together with some great people. Attendees from previous years have stories to tell their grandchildren! Don't miss out!

GapRunr

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Hi Francois,

I missed last year's ride. Hope to make it this time, but I never know where I will need to be this far in advance.

Jb

·
Registered
162 Posts
Awesome, been checking the site everyday for this post! Can't wait! Thanks for all that you do Francois!!!!!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Whats on the list for riding? Iss the Heintooga/balsam mtn loop open this year?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pretty much most of the BIA roads have been closed to non reservation vehicles. There's talk that it may be open, but at the moment it doesn't look good. You can go as far as Mile High Campground, but thats it.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Do you already have the route planned and is there going to be a gpx file and mileage count for each day. Im ready to put some serious miles on the tw. Winter in INDIANA wont give us a break.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm still finalizing the routes, and they may change a little at the last minute if the park service opens up one of their temporary roads. I'm hoping the access trail to Winding Stairs will be open but can't count on it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has anyone else booked a room yet, or am I the only person going so far? :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
GapRunr, sometimes when you do a group ride; from what I've "heard" you can contact BLM, Forest Service or whomever maintains the lands if you can do a "charity" ride through otherwise "closed" areas. Usually with a nominal fee, maybe a sponsor, and an agreement to clean up any "trail" refuse/garbage/trash during the ride; it's my understanding that they're usually willing to open an otherwise "closed" area for the event. We all seem to be a "good samaritan/help your neighbor" bunch of people and finding a worthwhile charity shouldn't be too hard. Getting a radio station to sponsor the ride shouldn't be too hard either. Heck, maybe even cycleracks would give a discount since it makes a handy hauler for any trash you'd pick up during the ride. If for $25-50 I could do a good deed and ride my TW legally in places that normally I couldn't, I would take part if it was an area within reasonable distance from me (or even further if I used some vacation days).

During the scheduled event I'll be in NorCal so I won't be there but please DO us all a favor and write a ride report.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Booked, see you June 13th!

You guys don't want to miss this, the riding Gap Runner takes us on is awesome! The company is pretty good as well.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Only 10 days left to get one of the blocked off rooms! If you haven't booked yet now is the time !

1 - 20 of 46 Posts